Wiki Posts
Search

Is Air Algerie joining skyteam??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Is Air Algerie joining skyteam??

I was just looking the wikipedia website about Skyteam and it says Air Algerie will be joining in December of this year did anyone hear about this?(i know that info on wikipedia is not always correct that is why i am asking here)I always thought that Royal air Maroc would be joining since they are a better airline and bring more the alliance then Air Algerie.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
I just saw this as well, and I am trying to find some evidence elsewhere that this is happening....
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:29 pm

Even if this proves true, I don't think I would ever use them.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IB+, LH, Hertz 1# Club Gold 5*
Originally Posted by flightbites
Even if this proves true, I don't think I would ever use them.
Flightbites, welcome to Flyertalk!!!

Flightbites, why this negative statement? could you precise your thought? Have you ever flown with them? Do you prefer low cost company or perhaps charter? hahaha sorry of course AF. Fine. And if by integrating ST alliance, Air Algerie or Royal Air Maroc had fares half price compared to AF airfares with assurance of getting full miles and flight status (instead of 25% miles with AF), would you modify your statement?
Also you need to keep in mind that there is 2 types of membership. The member airline and the associate airline. Depending of the membership requirements differ.
But if there is a integration as full member of one of those companies I suggest you to revise your statement. Indeed ST requirements to become full member is drastic. I propose you to read the following thread to understand that a full integration may enforce an airline to improve services and maintenance.

Thread about integration of Aeroflot in ST alliance (and offering to buy AZ)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678072

This thread may be interesting to understand the reason why flying a bad airline. The answer is budget and optimization of flights status and securisation of level platinium or gold.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678074

Jer

Last edited by jerybis; Apr 4, 2007 at 1:33 pm
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:26 am

Ok, I found some more out about this, and it appears Wikipedia has been changed to reflect this new information. Essentially Air Algerie wants to join SkyTeam and has codesharing with Air France already. Theres a news article in french, that I translated with Babel Fish, that gives the details.

The State seems ready to subsidize a subsidiary company which could reorganize its network around a hub with Gardaia. For the international activity, "a strategic partner, preferably a large conveyor, would allow us to develop, in particular towards China and Canada", explains Tayeb Benouis, chairman of Air Algeria which does not hide its interest for SkyTeam alliance, even if his company were solicited by Star Alliance (grouping of airline companies carried out by German Lufthansa). And the Minister for Transport Mohamed Chaghlaoui is pleased with the recent air agreement signed with France.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/eco/20060530....c_skyteam.html
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:51 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Berto
Ok, I found some more out about this, and it appears Wikipedia has been changed to reflect this new information. Essentially Air Algerie wants to join SkyTeam and has codesharing with Air France already. Theres a news article in french, that I translated with Babel Fish, that gives the details.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/eco/20060530....c_skyteam.html
This information is not so new, it is from may 30th 2006
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:52 pm

I should have looked for a date...I did not notice it was from 2006.

I guess if its a year old and there hasnt been any other news on this, I doubt we will see Air Algerie in SkyTeam anytime soon.....
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Berto
I should have looked for a date...I did not notice it was from 2006.

I guess if its a year old and there hasnt been any other news on this, I doubt we will see Air Algerie in SkyTeam anytime soon.....
Hey, there are airlines which announced over two years ago that they were joining ST, and THEY are still not in yet. Never hold your breath waiting for anything to happen with ST membership!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Hey, there are airlines which announced over two years ago that they were joining ST, and THEY are still not in yet. Never hold your breath waiting for anything to happen with ST membership!
That is true...I didnt quite think of that. Those associate members have been floating around for a while...ST needs to hurry up and make them official!

By the way didnt China Southern agree to join ST even before the associate members were announced?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 4:16 am

It seems Skyteam likes scraping the bottom of the barrel for airlines. First Aeroflot...now Air Algerie. How long until Garuda joins?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
It seems Skyteam likes scraping the bottom of the barrel for airlines. First Aeroflot...now Air Algerie. How long until Garuda joins?
Yes, next thing you know, Skyteam will pick up a complete crap airline from Europe like Iberia or Malev.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
It can never be as bad as the fablous Air India joining star

Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Yes, next thing you know, Skyteam will pick up a complete crap airline from Europe like Iberia or Malev.
Add Royal Jordinian and Finnair to that, until a couple of years a ago Finnair was a real nice carrier but lately they going the same way as Aer Lingus no more free alcohol, no IFE in ANY of their planes, charging way to high fares.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by sh1982
It can never be as bad as the fablous Air India joining star

Add Royal Jordinian and Finnair to that, until a couple of years a ago Finnair was a real nice carrier but lately they going the same way as Aer Lingus no more free alcohol, no IFE in ANY of their planes, charging way to high fares.
Finnair serves free beer and wine including sparkling wine. The new Airbuses will replace md11 by 2010 starting with two new planes with ife this spring. One older Airbus (bought from Virgin) has IFE already now.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The suggestion that Air Algerie is in a comparable class to IB, MA, or, even more implausibly, RJ and FI beggars belief.

IB and MA might not be the best carriers in the world, but they are an acceptable second choice, on a par with AZ and OK respectively within ST. In fact, for intra-European flights, I might even prefer MA or OK to AF, BA or LH as they tend to compensate their weaker market position but superior inflight service.

Air Algerie is in an entirely different league altogether. Genuinely an airline to be avoided unless you really have to fly them. On a par with second-tier Russian, African or Central Asian airlines, IMO.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by NickB
The suggestion that Air Algerie is in a comparable class to IB, MA, or, even more implausibly, RJ and FI beggars belief.

IB and MA might not be the best carriers in the world, but they are an acceptable second choice, on a par with AZ and OK respectively within ST. In fact, for intra-European flights, I might even prefer MA or OK to AF, BA or LH as they tend to compensate their weaker market position but superior inflight service.

Air Algerie is in an entirely different league altogether. Genuinely an airline to be avoided unless you really have to fly them. On a par with second-tier Russian, African or Central Asian airlines, IMO.
You seem to have missed the point.

Air Algerie is clearly not joining ST for the forseeable future.

The post was a slap at Platinum 322 who used the occasion to make a gratuatious insult toward Skyteam. Platinum 332 is clearly another one of the elitist OneWorlders who seem to believe the OW propaganda that OW only invites as members and is made up of "quality airlines". Pointing out the OW members with less than a "quality product" might make him less apt to make such offensive remarks in the future.

Point being that all the alliances have 1st and 2nd (and arguably 3rd) tier members (including OW). OW might have less of the lower tiered airlines, but then they have less airlines as members.

Last edited by PMMMDL; Apr 16, 2007 at 9:31 am Reason: Clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.