Wiki Posts
Search

Alitalia - Friend or Foe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Kore Air
Originally Posted by Mennix
On the other hand. MXP is one of the worst European airports. Huge delays and dirty. The lounge ( if you have access ) is the worst crap I've ever seen on a Sky-team flight. If you've access, use Air France lounge.

Overall. If you want to fly Sky-Team, Alitalia is the last Airline I would use.
Well said. I never saw such a crap like the lounges in MXP. Not worth a single word.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL NW
I fly AZ at least 2-3 times per year and have never had a bad experience. Their service beats the crap out of any North American carrier and easily rivals most other Euro-carriers as well. MXP is not bad...FCO is loads better, but MXP is still better than other Euro-airports, like CDG, LHR, even FRA... AZ has never lost my bags and my flights have never been more than half hour late.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:29 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by jf841
AZ has never lost my bags and my flights have never been more than half hour late.
You're a very lucky boy!
Indeed!
=)
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by jf841
I fly AZ at least 2-3 times per year and have never had a bad experience.
Seems like there are two entirely different AZ's, sort of Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde. You and I have gotten Mr. Hyde, but others here get Dr. Jekell. Are we just lucky, or what?

My flights are usually early, very rarely more than 20 minutes late; I've had bags delayed a couple times, but they were delivered to me the same afternoon/evening.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Matmid, BMI Diamond
Even if they're an hour late, and even if my luggage is a few hours late too, I'll probably keep flying with them. I should be flying YYZ-TLV 3 times a year for the next 2-3 years, Alitalia are hundreds and hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other airline on this route, has a convenient connection and a good rewards plan.

I'll let y'all know how it went
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
1. What are the chances of Alitalia losing or ruining my luggage?
about 95%
2. If I miss my connection due to a delay, will I be treated intolerably bad at MXP?
They wont give a damn, and yes you will be treated like scum
3. And how often are flights delayed anyway?
almost always
4. I've heard even new millemiglia members witn 0 mileage get operational upgrades. True or false?
up-what? your talking Alitalia here... dont get too fancy on me.

Remember ALITALIA is a sorry excuse of an airline, and deserve to be bankrupt and long gone. This comes from an Italian who has flown this piece of ... tooooo many times to tooooo many places.

AVOID AVOID AVOID - scam in progress
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Matmid, BMI Diamond
Consider my alternatives:

1. Air Canada or El Al - direct flights, 767's PACKED with Israeli families and screaming babies (and trust me, I know Israelis. NOT FUN) and me locked up with them for 12 hours, twice. Oh, did I forget to mention the $800 difference in price?
2. Other European airlines (LH, AU, BA, AF...) charging as much as Air Canada and El Al do - appx. $2000-2200.
3. Cheap European airlines (Malev, olympic) charging same price as Alitalia, but requiring a 8-14 hour stopover each way
4. AZ - $1200, short stopovers (1-2 hours), SkyTeam mileage, and they get me where I need to get.

Now, would you pay another $800 (these are coach prices) just to avoid AZ? If you would, you can send your excess cash over to me. A poor student such as myself would put it to good use... Say, to buy food.

I'll take my chances
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by All That Jazz
Now, would you pay another $800 (these are coach prices) just to avoid AZ?
I just paid $400 more do to exactly that. I took a more expensive DL itinerary.

My reason, however, was not just in avoiding AZ. I also preferred NOT connecting in MXP and JFK on my way to FLL. I figured that I was reducing the chances of my bag not showing up.

Moreover, there is no smoking in MXP or JFK and I would have to go outside (in December) for a cigarette while being dressed for Israeli and Florida weather.

Instead, I am flying TLV-ATL-FLL.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I went through MXP last weekend, and have no words for the non-schengen lounge. Won't even try to describe how bad it was.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Gnopps
I went through MXP last weekend, and have no words for the non-schengen lounge. Won't even try to describe how bad it was.
I spent 10 minutes in it one time. It was so overcrowded that a number of people were sitting on the floor.

As there are some very nice places to spend your time in MXP, I left, got something to eat, and then stretched out on a chair which was built in a reclining position with a footrest and enjoyed a book in peace and quiet.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gnopps
I used the AF louinge last time- it is very nice.

If you're on a DL B/E ticket, you can use the SEA lounge above the departure gates in B.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by Dovster
Moreover, there is no smoking in MXP or JFK and I would have to go outside (in December) for a cigarette while being dressed for Israeli and Florida weather.
I feel your pain. You forgot to mention that once you clear immigration and exit MXP, it's so depressing outside you can't help getting on Malpensa Express to the nearest town (Busto Arsizio), just to have a smoke. Or at least that's what I did last time I had a connection at MXP (in December, coming from EZE).
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by apoivre
I feel your pain. You forgot to mention that once you clear immigration and exit MXP, it's so depressing outside you can't help getting on Malpensa Express to the nearest town (Busto Arsizio), just to have a smoke. Or at least that's what I did last time I had a connection at MXP (in December, coming from EZE).
do not compare the BEAUTIFUL northern italian country side with some "depressing" sights your mind makes you see. AZ is crap, but dont go and disrespect one of the most culutural and most beautiful countries god has put on this earth. Busto Arsizio nearest town? I think you should look at a map

Last edited by gleff; Oct 28, 2006 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
to be really honest ITaly is beatiful but MXP sorroundings are not the best places to visit. I really don't like them. And.... Busto Arsizio is the closest little town close to MXP.
cheers
luke

Last edited by gleff; Oct 28, 2006 at 12:40 pm Reason: edited quote of msg edited above
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
I just paid $400 more do to exactly that. I took a more expensive DL itinerary.

My reason, however, was not just in avoiding AZ.
So you paid $400 extra just so you could smoke a cigarette a few hours sooner?

BTW, I enjoyed the few hours I spent in Busto Arsizio last year. Had a nice lunch, walked around, took photos, had a drink in a cafe, then back to MXP for my connecting flight. Not the most picturesque town in Northern Italy (by a long shot) but way better than hanging out at MXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.