100% Gold Elite bonus with SkyTeam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (Used to be Gold)

I can't seem to get a straight answer, or maybe I just don't comprehend.....I want to know if I book a flight on Air France (as a Sky Team partner with NW) and use my NW FF#, will I get my 100% Gold Elite mileage bonus?

About a year ago, when I was only Silver Elite, I booked a ticket on Delta and found out later that instead of 50% bonus they only gave me 25% bonus.

I looked on the NW website under Earning Miles with Skyteam and it reads: "In addition to the base miles earned on your flight, you will earn a 50% Elite qualifying bonus for tickets booked in Y or B class on Northwest, and full coach fares on Elite qualifying Airline Partners. This 50% bonus will count toward Elite qualification and not toward banked mileage."

When I called the Elite phone line and asked an agent, he couldn't clear it up either. If I don't get the 100% bonus, maybe the cheaper ticket isn't a better deal. Can anybody explain it to me? Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Amy@adoggybag
I can't seem to get a straight answer, or maybe I just don't comprehend.....I want to know if I book a flight on Air France (as a Sky Team partner with NW) and use my NW FF#, will I get my 100% Gold Elite mileage bonus?

About a year ago, when I was only Silver Elite, I booked a ticket on Delta and found out later that instead of 50% bonus they only gave me 25% bonus.

I looked on the NW website under Earning Miles with Skyteam and it reads: "In addition to the base miles earned on your flight, you will earn a 50% Elite qualifying bonus for tickets booked in Y or B class on Northwest, and full coach fares on Elite qualifying Airline Partners. This 50% bonus will count toward Elite qualification and not toward banked mileage."

When I called the Elite phone line and asked an agent, he couldn't clear it up either. If I don't get the 100% bonus, maybe the cheaper ticket isn't a better deal. Can anybody explain it to me? Thanks!
Welcome to FT. It might be better to ask this question in the NW forum, maybe Ralf can move the thread. You should get your Elite bonus on all Skyteam flights; it will however not count towards your Elite requalification. I believe you are referring to the class of service bonus, which will indeed count towards status. I am not sure if NW excludes certain fares from Elite bonus, but I doubt it.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

If your Air France flight is booked into a fare inventory that earns 100% redeemable/spendable miles, then a NW Gold will earn a 100% elite mileage bonus in terms of redeemable/spendable miles; that is, in effect, you get 2000 WorldPerks miles for a 1000 mile trip due to being a NW Gold. The number of eilte qualifying miles will be the 1000 actual miles for the trip plus whatever class of service bonus may be given (if traveling in a higher fare). That is to say, there are two things that are tracked: WorldPerks miles that can be spent on awards; and elite qualifying miles that are used to figure out status qualification/requalification.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (Used to be Gold)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If your Air France flight is booked into a fare inventory that earns 100% redeemable/spendable miles, then a NW Gold will earn a 100% elite mileage bonus in terms of redeemable/spendable miles; that is, in effect, you get 2000 WorldPerks miles for a 1000 mile trip due to being a NW Gold. The number of eilte qualifying miles will be the 1000 actual miles for the trip plus whatever class of service bonus may be given (if traveling in a higher fare). That is to say, there are two things that are tracked: WorldPerks miles that can be spent on awards; and elite qualifying miles that are used to figure out status qualification/requalification.

How do you figure out (before buying) what the Air France flight fare inventory earning potential might be? I was just looking on Orbitz and the Air France flight to AMS was $ 125 cheaper than NWA.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How do you figure out (before buying) what the Air France flight fare inventory earning potential might be? I was just looking on Orbitz and the Air France flight to AMS was $ 125 cheaper than NWA.
I usually look at the fare rules right before purchasing and use the first letter of the fare basis/code to make that determination. I then go to NWA.com and see how that fare basis (letter) is listed under mileage earning. (If it's not listed, I re-evaluate my purchase decision.) Personally, I've had less issues with Air France fares giving full mileage than with KLM fares (some of which are mostly useless for fare earning. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.