Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Does Aeroflot have any business being in Skyteam?

Does Aeroflot have any business being in Skyteam?

Old Mar 11, 08, 1:29 pm

No. Actually I mentioned that timeframe because asnovici did. He made them relevant with this claim:

"While the schedules were reduced for about 5-7 years following the fall of the Soviet Union, they were subsequently picked up again in the recent 10-12 years, and are comparable again."

And by the way, you think 137 million is comparable to traffic in the west???? That is sort of my point. If traffic is a fraction of what you see in the west, then there should be only a fraction of the incidents.

Last edited by rrgg; Mar 11, 08 at 1:37 pm
Old Mar 11, 08, 3:53 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
And by the way, you think 137 million is comparable to traffic in the west???? That is sort of my point. If traffic is a fraction of what you see in the west, then there should be only a fraction of the incidents.
I have absolutely no idea as to what point in the Tupolev's history this figure refers to and what were the figures for comparable aircraft type back then in the West. I merely suggested a couple of links and a place where you could get some answers if you're genuinely interested. (Or you might post a thread on airliners.net and somebody might come up with data you might find useful. Or go through the complete list of hull-loss accidents for the type and look for causes.)
Old Mar 11, 08, 4:06 pm

Programs: FB Plat
having spend more than 40 segments in/around FSU last year, I need to give me 2 cents on this topic:
Surely the old Tupolev machines look quite "unusual" for someone, who is used to "western" gear, but I normally don't have any fear sitting in those airplanes (Ok, let's not talk about old Yaks...)
As it has been pointed out here before, the security record of the Tupolevs is not worse than comparable Boeings. In fact quite a few number of the lost TU154 have been simply shut down...
Anyway, Aeroflot is phasing out the old gear (heard the last route will be SVO-KRR - one of my favorite) and on the more popular routes, like SVO-LED you only have Boeings/Airbus anyway.
Maybe the most important thing is: the technicians at the local airports have been servicing those systems since decades and know every bit and bold on these airplanes.
What really makes me scared: not Aeroflot, but the small cheap airlines in FSU, which bought el-cheapo 2nd hand Boeings/Airbuses... I don't want to know, how well they know these systems.

So from a security standpoint I don't have a problem here, comfort - maybe, but I'm not much bothered when the flight is <3 hours...
Aeroflot biggest problem is rather the customer service: rude, inefficient and aggressive let even Alitalia look like a customers heaven

sogos