Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

If Royal Air Maroc wants to join Skyteam, they better start checking their spelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If Royal Air Maroc wants to join Skyteam, they better start checking their spelling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:26 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Wink TITBITS v TIDBITS

Originally Posted by GVA
It appears, I shall print this out and fly first class with RAM. See what they say when I ask for it.
We British cousins do smile at our US relatives over what you do to our language. There is sobviously surprising confusion amongst some of this apparently well-travelled web community!

"Titbits "is the only spelling used by those who invented the language, and it is in everyday use. The US adoption of "tidbits" is very similar to the use of "wardrobe malfunction" and a $500,000 fine for a publicity stunt that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow to the east of New York.

To quote from the Cambridge English Dictionary (that's Cambridge, UK) :

TITBIT

(in USA usually "tidbit")

noun [C]
A small piece of interesting information, or a small item of pleasant-tasting food:
eg :

"Our guide gave us some interesting titbits about the history of the castle."
"This magazine is full of juicy titbits (= small pieces of interesting information, especially about other people's private lives)."
"Grandma always has a few titbits for the children if they're visiting at lunchtime."

From Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

© Cambridge University Press 2006.1040203184

I reckon Air Maroc are absolutely correct, and obviously have written their website in English, not American.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
sorry to rain on your parade AW , but my understanding is that 'titbit' was the original English spelling and that it was Bowdlerized to 'tidbit' in America because it in the early part of the last century ( or late in the previous one ) some rather prudish people decided that the original spelling was a bit risqué
This got to be the first time I've ever seen the word "bowdlerized" used in a sentence, correctly no less, since I learned the word in 10th grade.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; DL PM, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
Aeroflot's English pages can be rough, too. "Sincerely your, Aeroflot"
I remember when I lived in Russia, and flew SU somewhat frequently within the domestic network, that their flight attendants sometimes made odd English-language announcements. One I remember distinctly (given after the Russian-language announcement, just prior to take off):

"We thank you for flying Aeroflot, and good luck."
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:50 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Whatever makes the customer happy
I'll definately keep us gay guys away!!
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
We British cousins do smile at our US relatives over what you do to our language. There is sobviously surprising confusion amongst some of this apparently well-travelled web community!
Perhaps, but you're the ones who have trouble with perfectly reasonable street names, like Wacker Drive in Chicago (lots of businesses have office addresses on Wacker Drive- the businesses are located on upper Wacker, but deliveries are made down on lower Wacker). And then there was the time my sister was dating a proper Englishman, and at lunch, when he asked if she wanted desert, she declined explaining that she was stuffed. For some reason the limey turned red. The things you do with our language.

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
And then there was the time my sister was dating a proper Englishman, and at lunch, when he asked if she wanted desert, she declined explaining that she was stuffed. For some reason the limey turned red. The things you do with our language.
I think you mean "dessert" rather than "desert," which is a lot of sand and would make a very poor dessert.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:05 am

menu

This is a rather odd thread, why should Royal Air Maroc use American spelling as I presume this was the English language version of their website?

I do wonder why long haul flights have free of charge aperitifs, while medium haul flights have "free-of-charge" beverages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.