Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

If DL and NW go down, what happens?

Old May 21, 2006, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - LAX (Home) New York, NY - EWR (Business)
Programs: CO OnePass

If Delta, and Northwest Airlines don't survie because they are bankrupt what happens to SkyTeam? With only one US carrier, in continental, will they try to attract others?
Thanks
Old May 21, 2006, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
NW is not going down and I hope DL is recovering as well. If you look at the latest NW numbers, they are not so bad. I don't think there are any major carriers left in the US without alliance; three domestic airlines is quite a lot if you compare it to the other two alliances.
Old May 22, 2006, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by cfischer
NW is not going down and I hope DL is recovering as well. If you look at the latest NW numbers, they are not so bad. I don't think there are any major carriers left in the US without alliance; three domestic airlines is quite a lot if you compare it to the other two alliances.
I'll second that. Both of them survived their 'near death' experiences with their stronger Unions. Given the leniency of Bankruptcy law when these 2 filed they could probably go on for years so long as their stronger Unions don't strike. (I say stronger - e.g. the Pilots - since NW gave its Mechanics Union a Judo lesson to the great beyond.)
Old May 23, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If, and it's a big if, CO will jump at the chance to pick up aircraft on the used market and fill in the undercapacity in the vacuum after their failures. I don't see skyteam trying to court another us-based airline, but they would try their damndest to pick up a new asian one to take up the slack of NW's NRT hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.