Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Old Oct 30, 00, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No smoking on any flight should be the price of Aeroflot's admission to the SkyTeam alliance. Either that or a separately ventilated area that doesn't obstruct passage for those who need a smoke-break.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Oct 30, 00, 7:25 pm
Original Member

OK, I freely admit that I am speaking 20 years out of date here, but the smoking remark sure brought back some memories.

I am not going to go into pieces falling off the plane in flight, which even for them was less than 50% of the time....

But he SMELL!!! I am a smoker, but oh, my goodness. As said above, "Russians love to smoke," and this is sure true, but have you ever considered WHAT they smoke?

Have you ever SMELLED a Russian cigarette?

Have you ever burned ragweed and stuck your head right on up there, into the blaze?

Can you imagine this foul exudate being so thick that you literally can not see the forward part of the plane?

As I mentioned somewhere before, it was so bad, that the prospect of a wing falling off seemed actually like a pretty good thing at the time!

Oh, yeah. Now add to that the requisite security debriefing because you were "in Soviet territory." Sure made flying Aeroflot a lot of fun.

I'm sure their fleet is much better than the Tupolevs et. al. that they used to fly, but thanx just the same, I don't care to revisit the site of my first root canal either.

Never mind that it is now the site of the world's best steak house/massage parlor/church.

SOme memories are just too painful!
Old Oct 30, 00, 11:25 pm
Original Member

The cigerette's that Russian's smoke today are usually better quality. Glasnost, as brought Marlboro's and Camel cigerette's made from American tobacco. So the smell is not what it use to be.

However, the in country airlines are still flying the same TU154's (727 inski) and IL62's. A few newer TU204's (757 inski) are being flown but most Russian airlines don't have any money to buy new aircraft.
Old Jul 23, 02, 9:58 am

Here We Go Again- Aeroflot and AF Get Closer. Is SkyTeam Getting Another Partner?

Air France, Aeroflot Sign Deal

At a news conference, Aeroflot director Valery Okulov called the agreement a "step toward Aeroflot's integration into the Sky Team Alliance, without being a formal entry."

Air France's chairman Jean-Cyril Spinetta said members of the global alliance "would all welcome Aeroflot's integration."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/020723/air_f...eroflot_1.html

------------------
I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question. Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions. www.delta.com/email
Old Jul 23, 02, 10:05 am

Skyteam has already pretty much accepted Aeroflot into the alliance, contingent upon their fleet renewal program being implemented and capital improvements made to their facilities at SVO. This was announced at the launch of Skyteam in Paris in June 2000. The target date for their entry was set as 2003, and so far they appear to be nicely on track.
Old Jul 23, 02, 10:11 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see earlier posts and discussion of same at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum6/HTML/000406.html

&

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000110.html

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 07-24-2002).]
Old Jul 23, 02, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM MR Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold,
I do not mind the addition of anyone to SkyTeam... the more, the merrier, the better we are able to earn BASE miles. But Aeroflot would not seem to fill any of the major voids that currently exist for SkyTeam. As many of us have stated on this board, we would jump for joy if Emirates, JAL or Thai were to join SkyTeam. We need another heavy anchor... not more Czech Air "peripheral" members!
Old Jul 23, 02, 2:59 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I am with you, RobertS. Add'l partners can't hurt. You don't like 'em? Don't fly 'em.

Others, like ConcordeBoy (I think), don't like talk of certain airlines joining in. Not sure why... something about tarnishing the solid SkyTeam brand.
Old Jul 23, 02, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">something about tarnishing the solid SkyTeam brand. </font>
Old Jul 23, 02, 3:49 pm
Don

What splendid news!! Finally, we get access to non-stop service on routes like Minsk-Irkutsk! Prepare for huge load factors.

My only disappointment is that this "enhancement" didn't get reflected in DAL's stock quote this afternoon. Must've been an oversight by the market, no doubt.

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 07-23-2002).]
Old Jul 23, 02, 10:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:

Others, like ConcordeBoy (I think), don't like talk of certain airlines joining in.
</font>
Not really, I just had a problem with China Airlines, that's all.
SkyTeam went through enough when they stuck by KE through its safety-in-question period.... do we (as DL fliers) really want to go through all that again?!

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

[This message has been edited by ConcordeBoy (edited 07-23-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 02, 4:24 pm

I'm joining in a little late on this one but now when I go to SVO to visit my inlaws for 3 weeks every year I'm going to spend my time making cheap mileage runs. Aeroflot has some really cheap domestic flights.
Old Sep 30, 02, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by russellt:
I'm joining in a little late on this one but now when I go to SVO to visit my inlaws for 3 weeks every year I'm going to spend my time making cheap mileage runs. Aeroflot has some really cheap domestic flights.</font>
Yeah, but are those on *the* Aeroflot, or on some unrelated (anymore) baby 'flot?

Aeroflot joining Skyteam would be good news...if you are a smoker and want to fly to Russia.

poka,

O/H

Old Sep 30, 02, 10:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Occupationalhazard:
Aeroflot joining Skyteam would be good news...if you are a smoker and want to fly to Russia.</font>
All Aeroflot flights systemwide became non-smoking from March 31, 2002.

Old Sep 30, 02, 2:17 pm

Programs: VS Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
As many of us have stated on this board, we would jump for joy if Emirates, JAL or Thai were to join SkyTeam. </font>
During a SkyTeam media event 2 weeks ago, Fred Reid hinted (verbal slip. deliberate?) that Thai would join SkyTeam.

Search this Thread