Reload this Page >

Any Improvements at SVO?

Any Improvements at SVO?

Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Any Improvements at SVO?

howdy y'all,
just wondering if things have gotten any better at SVO since the ST deal with SU. i'm planning a DEL-CDG trip soon and my choices are SVO, MXP, or AMS...or the NS, but i prefer not to take that...anyway, i'm sure it's not exactly fair to be comparing SVO to MXP or AMS, but it's going to be mighty hard for aeroflot to be the "world class airline" that they aim to be with a horrible airport...so any recent experiences at SVO?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
You might want to ask this question in the Russia branch (since we are not allowed to cross-post, ask the mods to move this thread over there). The airport's gotten somewhat more tolerable in the recent year or so but I've never transited through - I only live here, you know
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I echo apoivre. I have never transited, and without lounge access (Priority Pass is a must, if not flying J) the airside facilities are rather dismal, but the check-in and arrival procedures have improved notably. It may just be a function of reduced passenger numbers due to flight to DME hiding inefficiency, but I do not dread a trip to SVO (getting there is a different matter...).
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:02 am

I'm curious why you'd rather not take the nonstop.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HRGM
I'm curious why you'd rather not take the nonstop.
NS=less miles
and plus, i like airports...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
According to this HUGE changes are on the way. As always...we shall see.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: PC
Nice to see that SVO T2 has been slightly upgraded since last year, staying there all night because of Aeroflot's beastly connection times & tardiness, with the score from "Once Upon A Time in America" on the speakers was pretty surreal.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
woody125 can you post the article here, need subscription.
Can a FB Elite Plus Gold use the lounge when flying aeroflot?
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sjefenole
in theory, any ST elite plus traveling on an international intinerary should get loung access...and with SU now being a full member of ST, i can't see why it would be any different from AF/AZ/KL/NW/CO/DL/etc...
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sjefenole
woody125 can you post the article here, need subscription.
Due to too many reasons for me to note, I can't post it here. If you'd like a copy of it though, email me at woody125 at ureach.com and I'll send it to you as I did save it. Sorry to have to do it this way.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:59 am

SVO2 has improved a lot recently, but still has a long way to go before it is passable as a transit hub. The main improvements have been made before you go through customs to check in -- they've basically spiffed things up a bit and added a duty free shop. Once you are past passport control, it is really the same old story, with no shortage of transit passengers sleeping on the ground on the second floor. Lounge is OK, but often rather overcrowded.

Net net, I always prefer DME, and would avoid having a layover at SVO if at all possible, regardless of class of travel.

Flying out on Thurs to IST from SVO -- wil let you know if I see anything new.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
SVO is still a POS airport. With Domodedovo currently being the best Moscow airport, SVO2 is in danger of slipping to the #3 position with Vnukovo undergoing massive renovations (read: building a new western-style terminal). The only reason SVO2 survives is cuz Aeroflot and Delta fly into it. Such a crap airport. I fly into it every time, and the only thing that is remotely OK is the TGI Friday's they put in there and the pretty good duty free stores. The security check is just god awful.
Old May 9, 2006, 4:19 am

Programs: OK+; DL Skymiles; SAS EB; HHonors
SVO-2 Lounges

Does anyone have any more detailed information on the lounges? For example, i heard that you can enter only 2 hours before departure? Is this true for the AirFrance lounge? It should be open 24/7. Any other information for longer layovers?
Thanks
Old May 9, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
duplicate
Old May 9, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
AFAIK There are 3 lounges at SVO2 (DATE lounge, Classic lounge, Amber lounge). Two lounges dubbed as "First Class Lounges", these are on the floor above the departures level. There is no "Air France" lounge per se, however Air France passengers have access to DATE lounge, DATE lounge and Classic lounge are nearly identical in layout and offerings. You can only access a lounge at SVO after you receive a lounge voucher from the check-in desk, and since check-in desks only open 2 hours before the flight departs, essentially you can only access the lounge 1:30-1:45 minutes (at most) before the flight. Amber lounge downstairs is for Star Gold of Lufthansa and several other airlines.

All lounges at SVO2 are non-smoking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.