Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam announce UX, KQ, CM, RO entry as Associate airline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:30 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Not sure of all the specifics, but the associate airlines are smaller, regional carriers. They drop their own frequent flier program and use their sponsoring full alliance airline partner's program. Like COPA's program is Continentals, Kenya's is FLying Blue, etc. There is probably a much lower start up costs for them, also less voting power in the alliance as well.

THe sponsoring program benefits since the smaller airline buys miles from their program as well as having more redemption options, etc...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Not sure of all the specifics, but the associate airlines are smaller, regional carriers. They drop their own frequent flier program and use their sponsoring full alliance airline partner's program. Like COPA's program is Continentals, Kenya's is FLying Blue, etc. There is probably a much lower start up costs for them, also less voting power in the alliance as well.

THe sponsoring program benefits since the smaller airline buys miles from their program as well as having more redemption options, etc...
but can someone using delta skymiles, for example, book award travel on copa now that it is a associate member...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by arfgoblue
but can someone using delta skymiles, for example, book award travel on copa now that it is a associate member...
You'll be able to do so once CM becomes an associate member (not yet; for date estimates see previous page of this thread)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by dbaseworking
COPA
covers a lot of So.Amer. Like from PTY(Panama) to
EZE(Buenos Aires) direct.
Also CCS.
So, COPA will become an associate member in September? Does this mean we can earn DL miles on COPA flights.... or even better USE DL MILES on COPA Flights??
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So, COPA will become an associate member in September? Does this mean we can earn DL miles on COPA flights.... or even better USE DL MILES on COPA Flights??
You will be able to once they actually are an associate member. As for when that happens, it has been a long time coming, but that doesn't mean it is any closer than it was last week
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by sbm12
You will be able to once they actually are an associate member. As for when that happens, it has been a long time coming, but that doesn't mean it is any closer than it was last week
So, in terms of either using or earning miles, there is no difference from an associate to a full member?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So, in terms of either using or earning miles, there is no difference from an associate to a full member?
I can't say definitively, as there aren't any associate memebers today so we can't go by historical evidence. That being said, I am under the impression based on all the press that I've seen of how it is going to work that there should be no differences.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

I think Air Europa and Kenya Airways are pretty much in Skyteam already since they all moved the FF Miles to Flying Blue since June 2007.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by jiml1126
I think Air Europa and Kenya Airways are pretty much in Skyteam already since they all moved the FF Miles to Flying Blue since June 2007.
Kenya airways has always used Flying Blue. Prior to Flying Blue they used KLM's Flying Dutchman. Although KQ are not a SkyTeam associate, they've been a close partner of KLM for a long time (KLM owns a share in KQ).

Air Europa joined FB in June, but that only benefits FB members, as far as any other FFP is concerned Air Europa is not in SkyTeam.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jiml1126
They are SkyTeam in the same way that Copa is SkyTeam; that is, they use the sponsoring airlines frequent flier program. I believe this is a prereq to joining SkyTeam as a associate member...
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by browserden
Air Europa joined FB in June, but that only benefits FB members, as far as any other FFP is concerned Air Europa is not in SkyTeam.
Exactly...in this phase, the only people able to redeem/ earn toward award travel are the respective prospective airline's sponsoring programs.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Exactly...in this phase, the only people able to redeem/ earn toward award travel are the respective prospective airline's sponsoring programs.
Either I misunderstood you, or this statement is incorrect. NWA WP members can earn and redeem miles (and even EQM's in the case of Copa and Air Europa), even though NWA WP is not the sponsoring program.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:14 pm

They are SkyTeam in the same way that Copa is SkyTeam; that is, they use the sponsoring airlines frequent flier program. I believe this is a prereq to joining SkyTeam as a associate member...
It is a pre-req that a potential associate member use a full member's FF program as their own. Copa uses OnePass, Kenya and Air Europa use Flying Blue.

This is not 100% true. In some cases, such as with CM and NW, or CO and UX there are other agreements based on previous history and/or anticipation of the full integration that allows for some benefits with other partners.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
COPA, KQ and UX are not in SkyTeam as of yet. I am a DL Skymiles member... I cannot earn status miles or any other miles on any of these carriers... maybe someday (we've been waiting since June 2005) but not yet.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Either I misunderstood you, or this statement is incorrect. NWA WP members can earn and redeem miles (and even EQM's in the case of Copa and Air Europa), even though NWA WP is not the sponsoring program.
In that case, I stand corrected but I am hardly surprised with how NW and CO are buddy-buddy on everything else, as sbm12 alludes to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.