Reload this Page >

SkyTeam announce UX, KQ, CM, RO entry as Associate airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam announce UX, KQ, CM, RO entry as Associate airline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by MACH81
I know where Mexico is but it's not considered a N.American country, at least I've never heard of it being such.
You're in for a surprise, then
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by apoivre
You're in for a surprise, then
I'm not surprised given the US/N.American-centric world we live on...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:46 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I would say it is in North America, as well as part of Latin America.

According to various sources, North America begins at the Isthmus of Panama, or at the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, with the intervening region then being called Central America.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:16 am

Programs: FB Plat, SA *S, RG Gold
Originally Posted by MACH81
I know where Mexico is but it's not considered a N.American country, at least I've never heard of it being such.
Canada, USA and Mexico are part of the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Association). Have you heard about it?
On other hand, Aeromexico is not a good option for Latin American coverage. COPA would be more useful for flying within Latin America but has no options within Brazil or for connections with European hubs.
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Wouldn't you think that there would be some nice SkyTeam press release instead of these little rumors?
Today, April 24, the last update of the Skyteam news section in the web is the NewsFlash from March. You could wait for the nice press release, but I have some travels to plan for June and July right now. And I still think that the due date for the new associate members would be around June 15.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rpg1973
Canada, USA and Mexico are part of the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Association). Have you heard about it?
I have. still when I think about Mexico, I don't think of N.America.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Talking It Has Been A Long Haul

Originally Posted by rpg1973
Canada, USA and Mexico are part of the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Association). And I still think that the due date for the new associate members would be around June 15.

The new ST Associate Members will join around June of what year? Is the 15th, the 15th of never?

I hate to be cynical. However, the ST membership process rarely has been quick. It is more like slow torture. I know ST has a specific set of standards for membership, which probably are beneficial for both the ST Partners and the flying public. Sometimes, though, delay can have undesired consequences.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
If Air Europa is joining to have FB their own Frequent Flyer Programme effective 15 June 2007, then I assume that thats the date that they will become Skyteam membership.
Old May 22, 2007, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cris L
If Air Europa is joining to have FB their own Frequent Flyer Programme effective 15 June 2007, then I assume that thats the date that they will become Skyteam membership.
Doubt it. Copa already uses OnePass (CO) as their FF program and they are supposedly on the track for associate membership, but they have been stuck there for some time and it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.
Old May 27, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cris L
Well, here we are, almost the end of May, and not a word of announcement about the effective dates for ANY of the new potential ST entrants... COPA, Air Europa, China Southern, Kenya AW... and others that have been mentioned such as MEA and Malaysian.
Old May 27, 2007, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Arrow MEA: Probably Not For A While

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Well, here we are, almost the end of May, and not a word of announcement about the effective dates for ANY of the new potential ST entrants... COPA, Air Europa, China Southern, Kenya AW... and others that have been mentioned such as MEA and Malaysian.

With all the problems in Lebanon, I would not count on MEA joining ST in the near future. It is a sad situation. Unfortunately, if the instability and uncertainty in Lebanon does not somehow resolve itself, maybe ST should look elsewhere for a Middle East partner. Even some stability would be better than nothing.

OW has Royal Jordanian Airlines, *A has has no one, and ST wants MEA. Maybe ST would be better off find another carrier. @:-) :-: ^
Old May 28, 2007, 3:06 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I haven't read anything to indicate that ME would not be joining ST later this year, but then again I can see your point. It is worth mentioning; however, that despite the current "difficulties", ME will start taking delivery of an 8 plane order with Airbus (4 A330s and 4 A319s) starting middle of 2008. Additionally, ME's close ties with AF make it a viable option for ST. This does not mean; however, that ST cannot ask other carriers from the Middle East to join.
Old May 28, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Hey, an airline in Spain and an airline in Panama without any turmoil issues announced two years ago that they were joining ST, and still nothing finalized. ST membership moves at glacial speed! I certainly wouldn't be expecting MEA any time soon. As for Kenya AW, I have no idea whether their recent accident slows down the process at all. Yikes, aren't they still all fighting to see where the Flight Data Recorder will go for analysis?
Old May 30, 2007, 5:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
Just to complete your posting:
*A will have Turkish Airlines soon

Originally Posted by SFO-SJC Flyer

OW has Royal Jordanian Airlines, *A has has no one, and ST wants MEA. Maybe ST would be better off find another carrier. @:-) :-: ^
Old May 30, 2007, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam

Turkish Airlines and Europe

Originally Posted by Jimmy67
Just to complete your posting:
*A will have Turkish Airlines soon

Good point. However, the term "Middle East" as it refers to a specific region of the Globe, has several different and accurate definitions. Some of these definitions include Turkey, and some do not.

Whether or not Turkey is, and should be, considered "Middle East" is a fascinating subject. The answer may be, in part, in the context in which the term "Middle East" is being used. Additionally, who is using the term is important along with when and how the term is being used.

Since the end of World War II until several years ago, Turkey had been identifying more with Europe than countries and regions to the east. Turkey joined NATO and still is a member of NATO. Additionally, Turkey has had intentions to become a member of the EU. Most people in west and west-central Turkey identified more with Europe.

Today, however, in Turkey there seems to be more of a turning towards and identification with the east and Middle East. What happens in the future, only time will tell.

As for Turkish Airlines, I have considered it to be more of an European airline the Middle Eastern airline. Maybe it is just my perspective. I would really like hear the opinions of others. However, such a discussion may be the topic of another forum.
Old May 31, 2007, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only someone who has almost no clue about Turkey would ever consider in MIDDLE EAST, furthermore I would say that perhaps only 5% of multinationals consider it Middle East when defining their regions. A correction to the above, even the AKP party, the mildly Islamic political party which currently rules the country and which many accuse of having a more secret Islamic agenda would NEVER EVER classify the country as Middle East. To all Turks, from the most religious to the most athiestic, the Arabs are NOT their "relations" and they want little if nothing to do with them, nor have they wanted anything to do with them at any point over the last 500 years or so.

Regarding THY, although I personally do not like the carrier, it is definately NOT a middle eastern carrier, has one of the newest fleets in the world and its fleet is actually bigger than those of most European airlines (i.e. bigger than SAS, LOT, MALEV, ALITALIA, AER LINGUS) and on par with the likes of Iberia sizewise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.