Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

What's your preferred flavor of ST in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

NW, CO or DL?

Of course diffrent people will pick based on things like if they live in a hub, but what one do you prefer and why?

I like DL because they have good service to the cities I need, pretty good upgrades and good people (overall). However if I did not have a long history with delta and was just starting fresh, I might choose NW.
:-:
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by dspringer28
NW, CO or DL?

Of course diffrent people will pick based on things like if they live in a hub, but what one do you prefer and why?

I like DL because they have good service to the cities I need, pretty good upgrades and good people (overall). However if I did not have a long history with delta and was just starting fresh, I might choose NW.
NW, because I live in Detroit. But also large first class cabins (more upgrades) and generous mileage promotions. In terms of most other things (i.e. lounges, some fares, people), NW is on par with the other majors. But I'd easily fly CO if the fares and times were better; I do like their product.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:42 am

I grew up in the South, and my family has a long history with DL. Like many of you, I've flown all three flavors, and have had great experiences with them all. But I'll always look to DL first.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Continental...

I still consider Northwest ... NorthWorst and will avoid them like the black plauge.

I flew Delta once recently, wanted to be fair and try them out, and I'd rather have a Coach seat on Continental anyday VS what Delta tries to pass off as FC. Delta's airlines within an airline "Song" peeves me too so I stay away.

Continental appears to be the only "Full Service" legacy left in the USA... As well as serving more destinations throughout the world

Oh yea most importantly... If I plan ahead enough, I can buy a same day return ticket for under 500 bucks... Continental's fare policies rock!

-Vincent
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:35 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
I don't live in a ST hub, but for me DL PE is worth its' weight in... Platinum. The automatic CRC membership is incredible within the US and allows me to get into any ST lounge even when flying domestically. They always say how much they appreciate my business which always gives a warm and fuzzy and I have been 100% on upgrades this year - even when flying a DL codeshare on AM. In all, though I can't say I've had a bad experience on any ST airline - the only downside I see is with CO 0.5 MQM when not purchased on continental.com and my upgrade % has been less than stellar with them (although I am only Gold with CO, so it's not fair to compare with DL). Upgrades on NW have also come through 100% based on my Gold OP status. Just my $0.02
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
Well ...

I've been flying DL for years and they will remain my #1 choice. Why? I'm upgraded at least 95% of the time, they offer an all Boeing product, the FA's are gracious, the schedule suits my needs, and I actually like the ATL & CVG hubs.

NW tends to be my second choice because of their schedule. I'm not a fan of their Airbus jets, but the DTW is fantastic!

CO is my last choice. Why? The fact that you're stuck on a B-737 for most flights is simply unacceptable. I recently flew CO on a 4-1/2 flight using a B-737 and it was the most uncomfortable experience. If they had a few other aircraft choices they'd replace NW as #2 simply because their service is terrific.

There's my humble two cents!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:29 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Depending on where you want to go inside the USA I would choose NWA. You have a better chance of arriving on time.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, MR-PlatPrem, US-Gold, SPG-Gold
When things go bad, NW ops handles well and NW culture remains nice

For me, I chose NW as my primary because of how they respond when operations become abnormal. I know, I know.. I'm planning for the 10% of the time that weather, overbook situations, and administrative hiccups happen. (i.e., mileage not posted, award ticket changes, schedule changes...) But for me, the times when I'm "at the will of the airline" are my moments of truth.

NW has an employee culture thickly rooted in midwestern friendliness and empathy. This propagates to their elite line and most GAs & FAs. (By most, I'm specifically citing MSP, DTW, and MEM based folks per the thread topic. The NRT based staff is another story.) Specifically to weather, NW expects and prepares for snow. NW's DTW and MSP hubs operate without delays through some pretty rough snow storms.

IMHO, and I apoligize in advance for irking anyone with this statement, the DL staff reflects a disgracious and brusque culture. I find it colder than I find the NW staff. I was connecting to the Caribbean on DL in January at ATL. The gate number was annouced onboard my inbound flight, but upon arriving at the gate it was vacant. Flight was cancelled, and it took the Delta reservations line and nearly 15 minutes to reaccomodate me with an air of "oh, we are soooo nice to be reaccomodating you on a later flight!"

CO has some great FAs (on a lightly loaded 757 FC cabin last Nov, one IAH-based FA actually sat down on the armrest to do the crossword together with me. . However, CO operations handles the snow with less aplomb than NW. In late January, CO cancelled me for three nights due to EWR snow. Originally I expected to be home on Sat, but the earliest CO could get me home was the next Tuesday. I rented a car to drive home-- and I-95 was not only clear of snow, but dry as a bone!

Just my two cents, take 'em for what they're worth.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
very interesting discussion... I have to switch from oneworld to skyteam because of their new direct flights into berlin, germany (delta and co).

I still have 35k antique miles in my AF account so I could just be an AF person again - The bad things with AF is that 2nd tier only get 50% bonus miles (100% on DL and CO) and AF does not have domestic upgrades (no wonder, they have no domestic flights in the US.
Do DL and CO give complimentary domestic upgrades to AF reds (skyteam 2nd tier)?

Any other advice on the choice bw FF programs?

Thanks!

Last edited by dukieee; Mar 21, 2005 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukieee
Do DL and CO give complimentary domestic upgrades to AF reds (skyteam 2nd tier)?
Nope I wish!.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 5:30 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dspringer28
NW, CO or DL?

Used to love DL, then they changed the program about 3 years ago
Now I love CO. Good service and good with upgrades as Plat. A little more, but the planes are new and not trashed (i.e. DL).
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Two years ago I would have said CO wins hands down, but now its tougher. CO has better food in FC generally, and the service from the galley rather than a cart seems fancier. I have found that the NW FA's have been much friendlier than the CO attendents over the last year for some reason, and this somewhat evens out the playing field. CO has IFE, NW doesn't. NW has bigger FC sections and upgrades me ahead of time in almost every case, CO makes me wait until I am at the gate.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:03 pm
Original Member

I think you're very insightful about why I prefer NW...I'm a midwestern boy and appreciate that Midwestern ethic...both CO and DL are skewed by their NYC roots.

DL (and PI, in the day) in the late 80s were terrific, but all things must come to an end...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.