Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam status match for UA 1k - which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi all -

I am a new member, so if the answer to this question may be in a different place, please point me there!

My partner and I are both UA 1K members (actual flying of about 120k per year). We also have AA Plat status that will go down to Gold this year. (30k flown)

We are both curious about switching as we are getting a bit tired of UA.We would like to try the various European carriers to Europe. Our flying consists of about 3-4x NA to Europe, 1x, SE Asia or Australia and the rest domestic and Canada.

In my opinion, the best perk of UA 1k is a system wide upgrade that I have had great sucesss in using. Does any SkyTeam carrier offer something similar and if so, will they match based on my other carrier status?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Ken
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:09 pm

DL does offer 6 systemwides for their top tier, Platinum Medallion, but for international travel they are only valid on Y/B/M fares unlike UA systemwides. DL also does not do international upgrades at the gate like UA. So, if there are still seats available in business at the gate these seats will either be filled with non-revs or fly out empty.

Why in the world would you want to leave UA? DL metal in Asia is the sum total of one flight per day between ATL and NRT. DL does not have an international F. They may give you mid-tier Gold status, but I doubt very much if they'll comp you to Platinum.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTraveler
DL does offer 6 systemwides for their top tier, Platinum Medallion, but for international travel they are only valid on Y/B/M fares unlike UA systemwides. DL also does not do international upgrades at the gate like UA. So, if there are still seats available in business at the gate these seats will either be filled with non-revs or fly out empty.

Why in the world would you want to leave UA? DL metal in Asia is the sum total of one flight per day between ATL and NRT. DL does not have an international F. They may give you mid-tier Gold status, but I doubt very much if they'll comp you to Platinum.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really know if I WANT to leave, it was just something I was thinking about. I have been getting a bit bored with the exact same menus on United, consistently worn out or broken seats in C, power adaptors that are more than not inoperable, etc.

I thought it may be nice to try a new product, but from the post and from emails I got, it sounds like I am best to stay where I am!

Ken
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:58 am

Let me second that opinion

Due to job change/relocation, I transferred my UA 1K to Delta, but they would only match it with GM for that first year. Also, as a frequent traveler to Asia, DL is absolutely pathetic, and their only partner to APAC is Korean Air, not exactly Sin. Air or Asiana. To Europe, DL has a few partners, but UA has even equal set of some.

If you have a choice, don't do a thing.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to get a match from LH FTL to silver, and got no takers. I talked to AF, AZ, and OK. They do not seem to speak English.

I fly business class on tickets I personally purchase, and would easily qualify for their AF or OK gold. AZ is a stretch. I wanted the lounge access, mainly, which is free with gold from the European carriers.

The big advantage of SkyTeam for me is the regularly offering of low priced business class tickets to Europe from IAD.

I have until Feb for my first Skyteam flight in 4 years. AZ has a business class sale, IAD-Europe.

CO & NW/KL have a business class sale to moscow that extends into May, and I will take that also.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lot more to ST than DL!

The question is not whether the OP wants to switch from UA to DL. Skyteam's presence in Asia isn't terrible, with both KE and NW offering quite a few intra-asia flights and KL/AF serving most major cities in the region. Therefore Skyteam Elite Plus is useful in Asia as it offers, as a minimum, lounge access wherever you're going (as long as you're flying internationally).

Originally Posted by Frohling1
In my opinion, the best perk of UA 1k is a system wide upgrade that I have had great sucesss in using. Does any SkyTeam carrier offer something similar and if so, will they match based on my other carrier status?
Re upgrades on European Skyteam carriers: AZ don't give them out unless eco is full. AF's official policy is the same but, according to what F+ members on FT say, they are more likely to give free op-ups to Rouges. It used to be possible to upgrade with miles on KL but their FFP is in a state of flux. OK offer unlimited systemwide upgrades (space-available, only confirmed at checkin or gate) to golds, but they of course don't serve many US cities and it is likely that you will have problems getting an OK code for flts originating in a non-hub US city and going anywhere but PRG.
AFAIK, no Skyteam airline (certainly no European one) offers a status-match programme or status challenge but, as slawecki said, you don't need that many miles to get elite status with AF or OK.

Last edited by graraps; Dec 17, 2004 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
AZ is a stretch.
On an aside, it looks like I'm actually going to hit AZ Freccia Alata (75K miles) this month. In case of AZ looking toilet-bound, I wonder who would comp me, and to what?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Thought I'd hijack/revive this thread.

I'm also a UA 1K and I booked skyteam award tix for my honeymoon (BCN-FCO-ATH,ATH-CDG,CDG-BCN).

My main concern is wanting to get lounge access. The only airline I really wouldn't want to blow my 1 status match with would be Delta (I guess one day I may have to go to them or something, that's what I have in my head).

So...what airline on either side of the pond will comp me to Elite+? and what would the process be.

We have a long layover in FCO and I don't mind at all "blowing" a status match for this once in a lifetime occasion to have lounge access (I have it the rest of the time when I'm with *A, so I guess I'm spoiled).

Thanks for any insight.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Anyone got any insight?

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was about to suggest a 60-day WorldClub membership from NWA, but most of the locations you'll be visiting are AF lounges and they don't allow guests. You could always buy two memberships, one for you and one for the missus, but that stops being cost effective.

Try searching the TravelBuzz forum for the Stats Match master thread. That usually has the most up-to-date details on which carriers match to the others and at what levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.