Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Any luck booking award ATL-CPT/JNB in F or J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I was wondering if many people have had good results booking the Skyteam Skysaver award in the front of the plane from ATL to South Africa. We are thinking of taking a vacation a little more than a year from now, and I was curious how fast these seats go. I am duplicating this post in the Delta forum.

thanks,
yorock
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Be aware that the SA F and J seats are sub-standard for the ATL-JNB flights (probably the same is true for all trans-Atlantic flights). SAA is deploying the better planes on the routes to Europe where there is competition. The best is usually operating to London (and there is a big difference in the seat quality). As all of these planes are being retired (being replaced by A346's) they haven't been refurbished for a long time. You won't get DL B/E level comfort (sadly), even in F (J is almost the same as coach on American, by way of comparison -- not quite, but surprisingly close). You might prefer to redeem DL to London and then SAA from London if you want a better trip. As for availability, it is very tight during season and tight the rest of the year. Peak weeks have zero availability (SA doesn't make award seats available on every flight, they don't have to comply with US law).
Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:36 am

I have flown the ATL-JNB and JFK-JNB routes several times in the passed year and on all occasions the planes had the new configuration. AFAIK these two routes were the first to have these planes as routine equipment. LHR was still erratic until the SA 234 and 235 were instituted permanently with the new configurations.

SAA will not be replacing the 747-300 and -400's. They are all being reconfirgured. I fact I haven't seen an unconfigured 747 in a long time. Last one was used in ZRH route until March 03.

J and F ex JKF and ATL are great!

------------------
AFJ
LH-Sen; UA-Prem Exec; SK-Gold; BA-Gold; SAA-Plat; KLM-Royal Wing
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
We took our vacation last August in SA and I booked 3 award seats(J) in Dec. 02. I had to be flexible on the dates but it wasn't too difficult. We flew LAX-ATL-JNB(then purchased a tkt to CPT). The return was JNB-JFK-LAX. The business class seats don't recline as far as Delta's but they were quite comfortable with a good footrest that came up high enough for once. The service is really lacking, and the food quality is terrible, but it still was a comfortable flight and the video on demand feature is much better than Delta's "cycles." For 120,000mi. each, I thought it was a good value since we were in BE on DL from LAX and then business in SAA for what normally is an $8000 ticket.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: US-Silver; UA-Premier; Hhonors Diamond
Recent Updates ATL-JNB?

Anyone flown ATL-JNB lately - would appreciate any comments on the quality of the business/first class seats.

Also, what is the best strategy for booking AWARD tickets to JNB. Does Delta use the 330 day 'ahead' release system?

Thanks,
Tregate
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're really interested in the DL options, head over to the DL forum. You'll get a much more accurate/in-depth response. And people will actually see the post.

Outside of DL (which stops in Dakar for a re-fill on fuel) there is also the AMS or CDG option on KL/AF, respectively.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
DL is 331 days ahead.

I found good availability on AF in J, not as much on DL and KL. You can use the DL site and NW Japan site (for AF and KL) to get a sense of seat release. I checked daily leading up to my 331 day mark so had a good idea of what to expect.

BTW you can actually check for AF and KL award seats further out than 331 days on the NW Japan site, you just can't book it with DL until 331 days. For example, I can currently see that there are at least 2 award seats in J on AF994 on July 5, 2008.

Last edited by PhilC; Aug 1, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.