Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam Elite Treatment

SkyTeam Elite Treatment

Old Jun 7, 02, 9:35 am

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
I fly the BOS-CDG-BOS AF r/t almost weekly, and have only the highest remarks to say regarding AF. On numerous occasions I have continued on my journey to HAM, MAN, TLS, etc ... I have received numerous OpUps (even on a U ticket), never had difficulty entering a lounge, and received beyond courteous service at CDG the one time my bags were 'stranded elsewhere' (a DL not AF issue)

I agree that the 2C & 2F lounges are superior to the CRCs found in most cities here in the US, but the CRC personnel are indeed nicer and more helpful.

Of course YMMV as each traveller has different dimeanor and expectations.

GMF
Old Jun 7, 02, 9:37 am

I am flying to PRG on an upgraded BE ticket with DL from CVG to CDG and the connection to PRG in AF coach (DL says the upgrade does not extend to the AF segment). During the layover will I permitted into the AF lounge since I am arriving on a BE ticket?
Old Jun 7, 02, 9:57 am

My wife and I have always had good experiences with AF while flying on Delta tickets. We're lowly SMs but were even the only two persons chosen for OpUps from Business to First on AF from CDG to CVG a couple of summers ago. Delightful. Customer service has been most helpful in person and on the telephone. Our welcome to AF lounges has been at worst cordial and many times warm. I believe AF lounges in CDG and JFK are superior to those in ATL, where it's always crowded and drink and food are poor. Yes, I know the business lounge down the escalator in CDG is crowded as well but the wine is so much better and somehow the place never seems as noisy as ATL. Now if AF could only put BE seats in their aircraft.
Old Jun 7, 02, 10:06 am

mhbaker, I'm surprised you are not eligible for business class on the CDG-PRG connection as well. Perhaps you are on an airplane with no business class? When we've connected in CDG to Vienna, Florence, etc. on an award BE DL ticket, we've also received business class on the intra-Europe routes except when there was only one class of service. Maybe others can tell you if there's a difference between your entitlements with an award BE ticket and an upgraded one? And we've always been given access to the AF Business lounge at CDG when flying in on our BE award tickets.
Old Jun 7, 02, 2:10 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Upgrades are not valid for the intra europe legs.
Old Jun 7, 02, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrader, that happened in the old Atlantic Excellence days and does NOT occur with Air France.
Old Jun 7, 02, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mhbaker:
I am flying to PRG on an upgraded BE ticket with DL from CVG to CDG and the connection to PRG in AF coach (DL says the upgrade does not extend to the AF segment). During the layover will I permitted into the AF lounge since I am arriving on a BE ticket?</font>
You are allowed access to the Arrivals lounge based on the BE ticket but not the the Departure lounges. Unfortunately the Arrival lounge doesn't do you much good (or anyone else for that matter). You might find a sympathetic agent that lets you into the business lounge but it is against policy. These are very annoying policies.

Old Jun 7, 02, 8:41 pm

hfly, I'm not sure to what you are referring when you say it "does not happen with AF" but with a BE award ticket with Delta/AF we had intra-europe business class seats on AF from Venice to CDG two weeks ago. We also had full access to AF lounges. I must confess my ignorance since I don't know what the Atlantic Excellence alliance was or why it no longer exists. Can you explain briefly? All I know is that AF upgraded us to first from business the summer of 2000 with the OpUp, treated us royally as the only persons in F, and that it was very much appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 02, 8:23 am

The posters who flew up-front intra-Europe all seem to have been on an award ticket vs an upgrade ticket. I wonder why the distinction?
Old Jun 15, 02, 2:35 am

I am beginning to see vast improvement in AF lounge's treatment of DL paxs. I was in GIG in January, where the person just ignored DL folks, and then I was there late last month, where he came up and asked what I wanted to drink and brought me some small cheese sandwitches

Did not use the AF @ EZE, maybe in Nov
Old Aug 5, 02, 8:07 am

As an AF Rouge using DL sometimes, I have always regreated flying DL.
Sales agents do not care for your status a second. In JFK I was moved from one lounge to another with no reason. The AF lounges are by far better than DL's.
Every other time, I have trouble getting in a DL lounge, although the info I got from AF allow me to use it for any Skyteam flight (even Y US domestic).
Y food on DL is horrible, service goes along, and I never was treated better for being Elite Plus, forget about upgrades.
Really, I will only use DL if I have no choice, I am ready to pay a bit more to avoid them.
Old Aug 5, 02, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps DL is trying to emulate the way their pax are treated on AF!!
Old Aug 5, 02, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

af fp,
Thanks for sharing your experiences as an AF top tier elite on DL. I am hopeful that SkyTeam will strive to enhance reciprocal elite benefits among member carriers.

I will be flying on KE next month as a PM and am curious to see if there is a difference in treatment because of SkyTeam Elite Plus status. The last time I flew them was as a GM and they were great.