Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot to join Skyteam by next year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2002, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Aeroflot to join Skyteam by next year

At least according to the web site of the Russian outfit:

"At Aeroflot, our commitment is to provide world-class service and safety. Aeroflot pilots, technicians and other personnel undergo rigorous training. For the last three years Aeroflot flight safety level has been outstanding - 99.90%- 99.98% [ The other 0.09%-0.02% will appreciate- NDLR ] (well within ICAO standards). Aeroflot boasts a fleet of more than 100 planes, including new Boeing aircrafts. In 2000 alone, the company transported 5,100,900 passengers and 107,000 tons of cargo and mail.

Already a reputable partner of many global air carriers, Aeroflot is preparing to join the Sky Team global alliance, formed by Air France, Delta Airlines, Korean Air and Air Mexico by 2003."

http://www.aeroflot.com/about/

Finally, some consistency in customer service! There should be no issue merging SU and AF customer service handbooks, both pages.

DL and SU paint jobs are also remarkably similar, it's like a miracle how it works out

...I forgot. SU: Before joining the Team, make sure you make pals with Air Mexico brass. Whomever they are

If those Russians didn't exist, wouldn't we have to invent them?

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 03-06-2002).]
Old Mar 7, 2002, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
At the last AGM held on September 14th, AF CEO Jean-Cyril Spinetta answered a question about Aeroflot: he stated that although * Alliance was in competition with Skyteam, Skyteam has a headstart, as there is already a provisional agreement by Skyteam partners. He stressed that having a hub in Moscow would be an important asset for all Skyteam partners.

Full AGM report (in French) http://www.airfrance-finance.com/upl...%20complet.pdf
Old Mar 8, 2002, 11:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Droneklax:
At least according to the web site of the Russian outfit:

Already a reputable partner of many global air carriers, Aeroflot is preparing to join the Sky Team global alliance, formed by Air France, Delta Airlines, Korean Air and Aeromexico by 2003."

</font>
This is correct, I remember the MoU was signed in Fall 2000, a few months after SkyTeam was launched.

OneWorld had Canadian and Star had Ansett...
At least Aeroflot makes profits... and keeps its Russian aircraft within the CIS (to comply with Stage 3 requirements).
They have no 727s, no 737-200s, no DC9s, etc..

Old Mar 8, 2002, 4:33 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I am not sure whether this would actually be such a smart move.....

[This message has been edited by rcs85551 (edited 03-08-2002).]
Old Mar 9, 2002, 9:15 am

This would be another "world class" airline in skyteam.

Then there is only Iraqi Airlines and Afganistan Airlines missing to have all quality airlines in Skyteam.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, from a purely strategic viewpoint, it would not be good for Skyteam if it lost the Russian market to any of the other alliances. This market is far larger and offers greater potential for development than the Afghan and Iraqi markets.

If Skyteam will be criticized anyway either for winning or for losing, I'd rather have it for winning.

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old Mar 14, 2002, 2:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvest941:
They have no 727s, no 737-200s, no DC9s, etc.

</font>
Of course not... only TU154s which crash every 3 months or so. Would feel SOOOO much better on those.

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy
Old Mar 14, 2002, 9:56 pm

This seems to fit SKYTEAM. Lets notgeta quality partner toareas like Asia where paying customers go on other Airlines.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Wow.

I'm a bit conflicted on this. I hope SU will honor retroactive points from all of those internal Soviet flights from long ago. And I just know that the Pyongyang-SVO-Berlin/Schoenefeld Ilyushin will be a popular route with Skyteamers.

But there could be an upside. Lounge access at Domodedevo. One-connection codeshares (at Sheremetevo) for New Yorkers to get to, say, Hanoi, Damascus, and Maputo.

Does this mean someone will finally clean the floors and that dated ceiling at SVO?
Old Mar 15, 2002, 2:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AccorHotels finished, Honors Plat, MeliaRewards Gold, SPG dead, AF Frequence+ forever
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
Of course not... only TU154s which crash every 3 months or so. Would feel SOOOO much better on those.

</font>
You, like most people, even FT, get confused with Aeroflot and smaller Russian airlines. I think there was no single TU154 crash within SU since the end of USSR. Their only (stupid) crash was with an A310!
Old Mar 15, 2002, 2:40 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fastflyer:
Wow.

I'm a bit conflicted on this. I hope SU will honor retroactive points from all of those internal Soviet flights from long ago. And I just know that the Pyongyang-SVO-Berlin/Schoenefeld Ilyushin will be a popular route with Skyteamers.

But there could be an upside. Lounge access at Domodedevo. One-connection codeshares (at Sheremetevo) for New Yorkers to get to, say, Hanoi, Damascus, and Maputo.

Does this mean someone will finally clean the floors and that dated ceiling at SVO?
</font>
Hopefully, not only New Yorkers are flying...
You know what? There are travellers outside the USA.... No kidding...
I will tell you a secret, when New Yorkers can make money in Hanoi or Damascus, they do!

Old Mar 15, 2002, 10:17 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I wonder if the DoJ/FTC would have trouble with granting antitrust immunity. This would give SkyTeam a monopoly on the non-stop JFK-SVO market. I recall that CO had rumors about an EWR-SVO routing in early 1998 (so CO might have route authority), but if allowed this would be an extremely lucrative market for SKyTeam, especially if they could offer smooth onward connections (if anything through SVO can be considered smooth). The DL JFK-SVO flight has been packed every time I've flown it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.