Search

The Name

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2000, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
The Name

I have posted some of this information before on sone of the other boards, scattered among some posts, so please forgive me (but I felt sorry for this near-empty forum, which did not exist at the time I originally posted).

My wife & I were surveyed back in November 1999 at the Crown Room Club in Portland regarding the name of this alliance ( We were told "Delta - Air France - Aeromexico - Korean Air Lines" ). We were given ten names to rate on a number of different critera (sounds modern, sound friendly, etc.). Here are some of the names (it is fair to say that we did not give a lot of high marks):

Voyager
Concorde
SkyTeam
Harmony
Rainbow
Your Planet
Freedom

Since no announcement of the name has been made in the 2 months since, maybe they went back to the drawing board.

Some discussion of these names can be found in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000227.html
Old Jan 20, 2000, 6:06 pm
Original Member

The best of those ones are Voyager and Harmony.
Old Jan 20, 2000, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
My vote would be for Voyager. It has that timeless, journey, worldly type of a connotation.

The other names are just too cutesy or try to hard to sound high tech/modern/internet/generation X---->"Your Planet" c'mon, that is a joke of a name. IMHO
Old Jan 25, 2000, 10:34 am
Original Member

If they call it Voyager, will that mean your luggage ends up somewhere in the Delta quadrant?
Old Jan 25, 2000, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Bravo, james!
Old Jan 26, 2000, 7:01 am

Well, the South African Airways program is already called 'Voyager.' Of course SAA look like they mught be coming on board. I suppose you could always call it 'Voyaguer' as a concession aux les Francais. I remember hearing that the French made the Brits put an 'e' on Concord to frenchy it up a bit!
Old Jun 7, 2000, 2:35 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 4-airline "No Name" alliance anchored by Delta said it would unveil its name June 22 at a news conference in New York.
Old Jun 20, 2000, 8:14 am

Location: IAD/DCA via OMA, ATL, AUO, AMS, ORD/MDW, IAD/DCA, LHR/LGW, DEN, SEA, DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Gold; HILTON Gold; Ex UA PremEx
Bloomberg is reporting (citing Aviation Daily) that the name of the Delta-Air France-AeroMexico-KAL alliance will be SkyTeam. I'd heard it was simply going to be called "Alliance," but agree with many here that Voyager wouldn't be a bad choice. SkyTeam, on the other hand...
Old Jun 20, 2000, 10:30 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
For a while I thought that Delta service was getting worse and blamed it on the fact everyone must be thinking so hard about the alliance name they did not have time to do their jobs. "Sky Team", what deep thinkers? Perhaps it will be called "No Sky Team" at the rate things are going. As usual, only time will tell. I am still waiting to partners to join that I would fly on for a change.
Old Jun 20, 2000, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The only name I can think of worse than "SkyTeam" is "Crap on a Stick". I mean come on, these people are getting PAID to think this up?!?!?!?
Old Jun 20, 2000, 10:29 pm

Crap on a Stick!

"Unconventional, catchy. I think we're on to something," a Delta exec was heard to say.
Old Jun 21, 2000, 11:39 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
I work for a company that has some Air France's outsourcings.
Internally in AF it's called "Alliance".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.