Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Checking through luggage, separate tickets, ITA & Air Europa

Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

The Sky Team website seems to suggest that, if interlining agreements exist, one can check through luggage on separate tickets.

I have a domestic segment with ITA and then a separate itinerary with Air Europa from Italy to Spain. Between the two itineraries there is an overnight connection.

Do you know if ITA will let me check through my suitcase when checking in for the first flight?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 2:54 pm

Where did you see that?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Boarding Passes, Bags and Tags

When you fly and connect from one SkyTeam member to another, you can check in for all of your flights at once. You receive all of your boarding passes and your baggage is tagged through to your final destination. You may need to collect and re-check your bags at certain airports because of local security or customs policies.
Its light on details, but it doesnt explicitly say under one ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
The Sky Team website seems to suggest that, if interlining agreements exist, one can check through luggage on separate tickets.

I have a domestic segment with ITA and then a separate itinerary with Air Europa from Italy to Spain. Between the two itineraries there is an overnight connection.

Do you know if ITA will let me check through my suitcase when checking in for the first flight?
Having an interline agreement is certainly a required condition to check bags through. But it's not because such an agreement exists that they will check bags on separate tickets. Airlines are more an more reluctant to do so. They usually make exceptions for airlines within their group (e.g. AF with KL) or within the same alliance, but that's not systematic.
For AZ to UX, may be, may be not. You have to be prepared for a no and plan accordingly. But in your specific case, with an overnight connection, I believe the answer will be no at 99%.
ringingup likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Having an interline agreement is certainly a required condition to check bags through. But it's not because such an agreement exists that they will check bags on separate tickets. Airlines are more an more reluctant to do so. They usually make exceptions for airlines within their group (e.g. AF with KL) or within the same alliance, but that's not systematic.
For AZ to UX, may be, may be not. You have to be prepared for a no and plan accordingly. But in your specific case, with an overnight connection, I believe the answer will be no at 99%.
Im more familiar with OWs policies, which are along the lines of what you say here. Im not going to risk it, but Id be very curious to find out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.