Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam loyalty not so seamless for elites

Old Jun 11, 19, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

I learned something the hard way about the less than seamless integration of DL / KL loyalty programs. I was kind of shocked so wanted to make the audience aware of what I experienced.

I flew to Europe in Delta One - DL ticket,DL fare, all DL flights, but one of the DL flights was booked by the corp travel site under the KL code.

Due to the value of the ticket and the Diamond multiplier, I thought I had earned the full max mileage limit of 75K miles but instead received about 15k less.

I called the help desk, who then referenced the Skymiles desk, who concluded that it was likely a timing error. I called back a few days later and they followed the same protocol. Finally I was told that because there was a KL code on the DL transatlantic flight, the mileage accrual was done on KL terms.

I explained my logic - DL fare, DL flights, DL ticket, and most confounding, this is supposed to be a JV between the airlines where my experience should be seamless.

The only thing they said they could suggest is not to book the codeshares in the future. Not sure that is what DLexecutives intended but I am going to follow that advice! 15k miles means something to me. This seems like a clear case where program rules and practical logic fell through a gap. I am a big DL fan but this one left a sour taste...
Old Jun 11, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by motorbobb View Post
I explained my logic - DL fare, DL flights, DL ticket, and most confounding, this is supposed to be a JV between the airlines where my experience should be seamless.

The only thing they said they could suggest is not to book the codeshares in the future. Not sure that is what DLexecutives intended but I am going to follow that advice! 15k miles means something to me. This seems like a clear case where program rules and practical logic fell through a gap. I am a big DL fan but this one left a sour taste...
I won't argue that SkyTeam fails at being anything close to seamless. However the earning on partner-coded flights isn't exactly a gap, it's documented on their web site, Earning with Airline Partners and has a FT thread: Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

It's also a lot simpler and easier to understand than it used to be. While you may have been shorted on RDMs, depending on distance you might've made out better on MQDs (although whether that's good or bad or indifferent depends on your situation, whether you need/can use the AMEX MQD waiver etc.)
Old Jun 12, 19, 10:22 am

SkyTeam mileage accrual is by far based on the marketing carrier (unlike *A, where the operating carrier matters), FWIW it makes it much simpler
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: FB
Hi motorbobb,

For me as an EU based PAX, I do not get your complain. Maybe because we do not have one big airline, instead we have to use many different skyteam carrier.

The reason for having a KL codeshare flight on DL metal might be simply a price question. So someone, you, your travel agency or your employer, decided taking the KL codeshare is the best solution for everyone.

On most of my private and business travel, I always get some weird codeshare flights because of the pricing. Like a trip to LA on KL with only DL flight numbers. Or this time I am in Korea, all KE flight have an KL booking, all KL flights have an KE coded flight on my ticket.

As a frequent traveler, you should have already experienced some similar situations. Or at least you should now that codeshares could affect your travels positive and negative. Please be not surprised next time if you are traveling on a codeshare and need to get an irrop handled.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

................but one of the DL flights was booked by the corp travel site under the KL code..................Finally I was told that because there was a KL code on the DL transatlantic flight, the mileage accrual was done on KL terms..............
That's correct and follows mileage accrual rules as published. In fact, it is a way for some FTers to receive extra MQDs by booking AF/KL code. Many threads about this topic.

...................The only thing they said they could suggest is not to book the codeshares in the future. Not sure that is what DLexecutives intended but I am going to follow that advice! 15k miles means something to me..........
DL executives are happy either you book under DL code or KL code. It makes no difference to them.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Yesterday, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
DL executives are happy either you book under DL code or KL code. It makes no difference to them.
Isn't that the point of this post though? That it makes no difference to the DL execs but it does to how the passenger is rewarded?

OP were all your flights on a set of 006 tickets or did the KL marketed one have a different leading three digits?