Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern departs from Skyteam 2019/01/01

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
China Southern departs from Skyteam 2019/01/01

China Southern to leave Skyteam from 2019/01/01 and will continue to work with AA. 2019 will be the interim time for CZ to clear up all necessities with Skyteam.

As of current there are no additional information on where CZ is heading.

CX:...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
China Southern to leave Skyteam from 2019/01/01 and will continue to work with AA. 2019 will be the interim time for CZ to clear up all necessities with Skyteam.

As of current there are no additional information on where CZ is heading.

CX:...
The rumor on Weibo (China's twitter) is that CZ is heading to OW. A more drastic speculation there is that CX will join *A, but I'm not positive.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Don't automatically assume that it will, or that it has to, join another alliance.

Alliance membership can be more trouble/cost than it is worth; for many airlines, it makes sense to focus only on those partners that make sense for you individually, rather than the motley crew cobbled together by any such alliance.

Though of course with AA investing, it could happen that oneworld membership is on the cards.

Strange, though, that subsidiary Xiamen is apparently staying where it is.

Originally Posted by Reuters
SHANGHAI/SINGAPORE (Reuters) - China Southern Airlines (600029.SS) (1055.HK) said it will leave the SkyTeam airline alliance on Jan. 1 next year to meet the needs of the company’s own development strategy.

SkyTeam said it would work with China Southern to ensure a seamless transition for all customers and partners. That process will run throughout 2019 and will complete by the year-end.

Xiamen Airlines Co Ltd, a subsidiary of China Southern that is also a Skyteam member, has no plans to quit the alliance, Xiamen spokesman Qiu Dapeng said.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Not a great loss to SkyTeam
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have any guess as to when FlyingBlue earnings may cease, after exiting SkyTeam? I am looking at a flight on CZ in early January 2019, and getting Flying Blue credit is highly desirable.

Nothing yet on the AF or DL websites.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Not certain at all, but you probably shouldn't expect the miles after the cutoff date :/
The only way you could get them is if somehow CZ keeps a parthership with AF-KL once out of Skyteam - not impossible, but far from certain.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by chalf
Does anyone have any guess as to when FlyingBlue earnings may cease, after exiting SkyTeam? I am looking at a flight on CZ in early January 2019, and getting Flying Blue credit is highly desirable.

Nothing yet on the AF or DL websites.
If CZ leaves on 2019/1/1, that means the last day to credit your flight to a Skyteam partner would be 2018/12/31 unless an alternative arrangement is made.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Member

I was hoping to be able to rely on the vague language about 2019 transitional arrangements. It’s probably best to view it like Brexit ( CZexit?): expect the worst, and have some possibility for upside.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:22 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by davistev
Not a great loss to SkyTeam
Some may argue the exact opposite. SkyTeam has been treating CZ with less care than they are treating MU.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by chalf
Flying Blue miles earned via the "marketed and operated by a Syteam member" route requires exactly that - that the operator and marketer is a Skyteam member at the time the flight is taken.

China Southern will not leave Skyteam until late 2019 at the earliest (see above).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Flying Blue miles earned via the "marketed and operated by a Syteam member" route requires exactly that - that the operator and marketer is a Skyteam member at the time the flight is taken.

China Southern will not leave Skyteam until late 2019 at the earliest (see above).
It depends on how to interpret the following wording in the announcement, and I paraphrase: "CZ will not renew the contract with Skyteam after 1/1/2019". It highly depends on when the current contract expires, I guess? One could possibly push it to extremes and speculate that 1/1/2019 is when the current contract ends? But probably it won't come with such a short notice.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't automatically assume that it will, or that it has to, join another alliance.

Alliance membership can be more trouble/cost than it is worth; for many airlines, it makes sense to focus only on those partners that make sense for you individually, rather than the motley crew cobbled together by any such alliance.

Though of course with AA investing, it could happen that oneworld membership is on the cards.

Strange, though, that subsidiary Xiamen is apparently staying where it is.
If Xiamen is staying in ST, then it looks like the whole pulling out of ST thing is probably instigated by AA's concern about ST being too dominant at the new Beijing airport. It's kind of telling that AA is the only airline mentioned in the CZ press release (AA owns a minority stake in CZ).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
It depends on how to interpret the following wording in the announcement, and I paraphrase: "CZ will not renew the contract with Skyteam after 1/1/2019". It highly depends on when the current contract expires, I guess? One could possibly push it to extremes and speculate that 1/1/2019 is when the current contract ends? But probably it won't come with such a short notice.
That was my interpretation as well. The FF reciprocity arrangements may well extend beyond CZexit, and/or there may be a transitional period for earnings, etc. It seems somewhat abrupt for ~45 day public notice of exit, and for all of the FF arrangements to be unwound in that time, particularly if none of the partner airlines has yet disclosed an end date.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
It also begs the question how the greater China connection agreement between the 4 local Skyteam airlines (MU,CI,CZ and Xiamen) will go as it was an agreement on top of the normal skyteam benefits and only started about 4 years ago.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Well glad my trip on CZ is in Nov. Then back to MU I guess to get the solid MQD return for Delta status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.