Search

Baggage confusion on SkyTeam flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Baggage confusion on SkyTeam flights

Hi FTers,

I'm coming back from a travel that involved some J flights with KL and SU. I connected in CDG to a SU operated flight and had to connect in SVO for another SU operated flight. At the originating airport, my bag was checked in all the way to the end, even getting a luggage tag with my final destination on it. I was told I would pick up my bag there and I should be asking in CDG for my boarding pass for the last leg of my journey. I was given this boarding pass in CDG, not in SVO. In SVO I connected to my last leg and nowhere was I informed that my bag would have to be picked up in SVO and checked for the last leg of my journey.

The bag was stopped at SVO and was sent to the destination without me being informed day later. I left a day after the incident back to SVO without a bag, not knowing my bag was sent to the final destination in the end (the staff there didn't speak English so difficult communicating) All in all, I was 3 days without my bag and had to buy clothes. My ticket was bought from Delta, flights operated by KL, SU but coded AF. In this case, who's responsible? And can I claim any compensation?

Thanks

Last edited by B0gdan; Mar 29, 2018 at 4:34 am Reason: details
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:39 am

You claim from the airline you flew the last leg with, so sounds like SU.
Was your last leg in Russia a domestic one? If so, then similar to the US your bag have to be collected and re-checked.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
You claim from the airline you flew the last leg with, so sounds like SU.
Was your last leg in Russia a domestic one? If so, then similar to the US your bag have to be collected and re-checked.
Yes it was. Had no idea because I looked at the bag tag and it showed my destination airport.

In this case, I guess a receipt of the clothes I bought during this time would be enough as a claim for compensation?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:18 am

Yes, but I really in doubt SU will refund you anything, do report back though.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by B0gdan
Had no idea because I looked at the bag tag and it showed my destination airport.
when you fly to the US with a connection, it's the same, the luggage tag shows the final destination but you have to collect your bag at the 1st entry point in the US.
This being said, it's bad if you have not been informed of the need to collect bags in SVO. They should have told you that where you checked your bags first. Usually, they make also announcements during concerned flights.

Originally Posted by Ditto
Yes, but I really in doubt SU will refund you anything, do report back though.
Agreed.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Then I probably won't even bother. For 20-30€ it's not worth the effort.

Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.