Wiki Posts
Search

MEX-JFK-YYZ - customs at JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
MEX-JFK-YYZ - customs at JFK?

On an international (Aeromexico / Delta) itinerary, will I need to pick up my luggage and do customs? Immigration? at JFK? Since I am not actually entering US.

I know in Europe, when connecting from US, I don't need to see my luggage/immigration - but not sure about Uncle Sam. In case it matters, I am a US citizen with Global Entry.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by namzaj
On an international (Aeromexico / Delta) itinerary, will I need to pick up my luggage and do customs? Immigration? at JFK? Since I am not actually entering US.

I know in Europe, when connecting from US, I don't need to see my luggage/immigration - but not sure about Uncle Sam. In case it matters, I am a US citizen with Global Entry.
Absolutely. Luggage is picked up just about everywhere in the US when arriving on an int'l flight (IIRC, MIA or some other airport is testing through-checked luggage, but it is not widespread yet). Immigration and customs will happen no matter what as there is no way for them to know if you leave the airport from the departure terminal.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Absolutely. Luggage is picked up just about everywhere in the US when arriving on an int'l flight (IIRC, MIA or some other airport is testing through-checked luggage, but it is not widespread yet). Immigration and customs will happen no matter what as there is no way for them to know if you leave the airport from the departure terminal.
immigration : yes for sure
bagage pick-up and customs : when connecting int'l to int'l, it depends on the airport and the airline(s). So OP will need to listen carefully to the announcement which will be made on the MEX-JFK flight. I don't know the situation for JFK and AM/DL.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
immigration : yes for sure
bagage pick-up and customs : when connecting int'l to int'l, it depends on the airport and the airline(s).
As I mentioned, one has to go through immigration/customs every time in the US as there is no 'check' when exiting the airport from the departure terminal as domestic and pre-clearance arrivals deplane passengers right into the departure area. If customs wasn't there, someone could go through immigration, head to departures, and then exit the terminal.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
As I mentioned, one has to go through immigration/customs every time in the US as there is no 'check' when exiting the airport from the departure terminal as domestic and pre-clearance arrivals deplane passengers right into the departure area. If customs wasn't there, someone could go through immigration, head to departures, and then exit the terminal.
From posts in the DL forum, ITI for bags is possible through at least DTW, MSP, and ATL although in some cases only on DL inbound flights (which does not apply in OP's case, but...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.