Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits on VN domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Hi. As a DL Platinum, what benefits would I get on VN domestic flight (HAN-SGN)? If I am reading the site correctly, priority check in, boarding, seat assignment, an extra 10KG luggage (20 to 30KG or do they use the piece concept?) and lounge access? Does all of that also extend to a traveling companion on the same PNR? I was going to fly on VietJet given the crazy low rates but if these benefits apply it is worth spending more especially since VN flies the A350 on certain runs. Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Hi. As a DL Platinum, what benefits would I get on VN domestic flight (HAN-SGN)? If I am reading the site correctly, priority check in, boarding, seat assignment, an extra 10KG luggage (20 to 30KG or do they use the piece concept?) and lounge access? Does all of that also extend to a traveling companion on the same PNR? I was going to fly on VietJet given the crazy low rates but if these benefits apply it is worth spending more especially since VN flies the A350 on certain runs. Thanks!
Yes, these are the benefits. However, lounge applies only when you have a same day international flight (but they might well not bother. Delta is pretty strict about this rule though).Don't know how many kg it is, but yes, you'll have a higher baggage allowance.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I've flown both VN and VietJet. Both were fine. VN will do all of the above - you may need to remind them at check in about the additional weight. VietJet will definately charge you for the extra weight.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM

You won't get lounge access unless you're connecting to an international destination. Also, good luck securing any type of preferred seating such as bulkhead or exit row seats. I couldn't even snag a seat in the front rows despite booking my ticket months in advance.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. One clarification since I almost never check bags, is it the customers choice to receive 20 KG extra or an extra bag (or does the airline decide which benefit applies?)? And does your companion on the same PNR also get this benefit?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks guys. One clarification since I almost never check bags, is it the customers choice to receive 20 KG extra or an extra bag (or does the airline decide which benefit applies?)? And does your companion on the same PNR also get this benefit?
Airline - if the normal baggage allowance is weight based then the status benefit is extra weight, and if piece based then an extra piece.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:54 pm

The airline decides, depending on what baggage concept they use for that route.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Airline - if the normal baggage allowance is weight based then the status benefit is extra weight, and if piece based then an extra piece.
I'm glad I asked (I asumed it would ahve been travelrs choice.)
So according to this, a nonstatus traveler gets 20KG, so they must be on the weight system?
The flight is wholly within Vietnam
http://www.vietnamairlines.com/en/be...gage-allowance

And lastly, does the companion also get additional baggage allowence?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:17 pm

I would assume so, but to be on the safe side I would double-check how VN deals with extra baggage for the frequent flyers of their own FFP. If that's also based on the weight concept you can safely assume that they go by weight only.

Your travel companion will not get extra baggage allowance. This would be asking too much. All perks are individual. The only reason why your travel companion is allowed to join you for things like priority boarding (or lounge access when applicable) is that your individual perks would become pretty useless otherwise when travelling with a companion (because you couldnt board with your companion, you couldnt go to the lounge without leaving him/her alone, etc). This is not the case with extra baggage, because this perk does not become useless when you travel with a companion who has no extra baggage allowance.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
I would assume so, but to be on the safe side I would double-check how VN deals with extra baggage for the frequent flyers of their own FFP. If that's also based on the weight concept you can safely assume that they go by weight only.

Your travel companion will not get extra baggage allowance. This would be asking too much. All perks are individual. The only reason why your travel companion is allowed to join you for things like priority boarding (or lounge access when applicable) is that your individual perks would become pretty useless otherwise when travelling with a companion (because you couldnt board with your companion, you couldn't go to the lounge without leaving him/her alone, etc). This is not the case with extra baggage, because this perk does not become useless when you travel with a companion who has no extra baggage allowance.
Thank you cityflyer369 and everyone else that has helped me in this thread.

Here is VN's policy for their own elites. They state both weight and piece. How is a passenger to know which applies?
http://www.vietnamairlines.com/en/fr...rship-benefits
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:31 am

It says weight where weight concept applies, piece where piece concept applies. And it's pretty clear on their website that for intra-Vietnam flights the weight concept applies.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Just to be on the safe side, you can purchase extra weight allowance at VN's website.
I'm not sure of the OP's location, but with the exchange rate, VN is very cheap. I was looking for a cheap flight from Nha Trang to SGN for our upcoming holiday; I'm a Diamond with Delta and I was spending lots of time trying to figure out how to ensure my status was linked to a VN ticket.
In the end, I simply booked two first class tickets for a price that I was expecting a single coach ticket was going to cost! Problem solved.

Also, I signed up for Lotus Miles and sent an email to VN customer service, asking them to link my Lotus Miles to my Delta Account. VN's website can be pretty infuriating at times and having a Lotus Miles account can help make navigating the site a bit easier. Emails to VN were always responded to (in English) but typically took a couple days.

(I'm also on VN's shiny new A350 PVG-SGN and back! Woohoo!!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.