Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam domestic lounge access - in theory and in practice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam domestic lounge access - in theory and in practice...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Question Skyteam domestic lounge access - in theory and in practice...

Hi,

I have a domestic flight on AeroMexico coming up, connecting from an international but non-SkyTeam flight. The international flight is therefore, I guess, an irrelevance and this is a domestic itinerary.

I'm a SkyTeam Elite+ member.

The SkyTeam rules seem very clear that access is not available on domestic sectors... but a friend of mine mentioned that he routinely accessed the AeroMexico lounges with a domestic itinerary. This was, however, about 5 years ago.

Is there some sort of informal agreement among the other airlines (i.e. other than Delta) to allow domestic lounge access to elites? Or do I stand no chance?

Thanks!
CD747
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I got into the AM Premier lounge recently in MEX on a domestic, but the guy dragon mentioned it was not stricly in compliance with policy, but he was letting it go. YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - sounds like a 'YMMV' erring on the side of 'No' (I'm guessing tending to a 110% definite 'No Way' in the U.S), so I won't be disappointed if that's the answer
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got access in ATL on a DL flight from YUL to ATL to LAX. I was mildly surprised because US airlines generally do not consider Canada as International.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rules differ by carrier. It's easy to find them on each carrier's website. If you qualify, great. If you don't and can live with the possible humiliation of the "walk of shame" when denied, then try. Up to you.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by CD747
Thanks - sounds like a 'YMMV' erring on the side of 'No' (I'm guessing tending to a 110% definite 'No Way' in the U.S), so I won't be disappointed if that's the answer
It's definitely a case of YMMV, as I was once granted access to the MCO SkyClub on a domestic itinerary, as the club was quiet at the time.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I got access in ATL on a DL flight from YUL to ATL to LAX. I was mildly surprised because US airlines generally do not consider Canada as International.
Never had an issue with YUL being recognized as international, even though it qualifies for domestic upgrades.

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by stimpy
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Never had an issue with YUL being recognized as international, even though it qualifies for domestic upgrades.
Indeed. I've never had a problem with DL flights between the USA and Canada being recognised as 'international' for lounge access; but they still count as 'domestic' for (rare) complimentary upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.