Search

Is Skyteam for me ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, UA Premier Gold
Is Skyteam for me ?

Hello all !

I was traveling a lot Canada-USA (and NRT) but now with my job i will do a lot of Canada-Europe (Germany, Spain, Russia) i was wondering if i should switch from my Star Alliance (i'm *G) and do the challenge on a SkyTeam carrier. I know SkyTeam is more popular in Europe.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:20 pm

SkyTeam is more popular in Europe? Compared to what?

While Sky Team may be more popular in France, The Netherlands, The Czech Republic, and Russia, many in Europe - as well as those who travel to Europe quite a bit prefer Star Alliance. I don't know how one can beet the combination of A3, JP, LH, LO, LX, OS, OU, SK, SN, TK, TP. Or think about it in terms of European hubs. Skyteam has CDG, AMS, MAD, MOW, OTP, & MOW. Star Alliance has:

A3: ATH with focus cities at SKG & LCA
JP: LJU
LH: FRA, MUC, & DUS
LO: WAW with focus city at KRK
LX: ZRH & GVA with focus city at BSL
OU: ZAG with focus cities at DBV & SPU
SK: CPH, ARN, & OSL
SN: BRU
TK: IST & SAW
TP: LIS & OPO

And don't forget, it is very difficult to actually find award seats with DL & AF's plan. Perhaps on another Sky Team airline, but not DL or AF. I'd stick with *A -- or consider, possibly, OneWorld.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Indelaware
And don't forget, it is very difficult to actually find award seats with DL & AF's plan. Perhaps on another Sky Team airline, but not DL or AF.
I have to correct you on this point. As an AF/KL elite it is very easy to find reward space. I've never had a problem.

I have top status on all three alliances and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Skyteam to the OP. Just for Aeroflot alone it will be very helpful for you on your Russia trips. However as you probably know there's no ST carrier that flies direct from NRT to Canada. You'd have to either transfer in the US or ICN.

If you fly a lot, maybe go for top status in both Star and ST. It works for me. I have ultimate flexibility in choosing routes since I have status everywhere.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
SkyTeam is more popular in Europe? Compared to what?

Skyteam has CDG, AMS, MAD, MOW, OTP, & MOW.
Don't forget FCO, LIN --> Alitalia, BCN --> Air Europa
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mckroes
Don't forget FCO, LIN --> Alitalia, BCN --> Air Europa
Yes, I stand corrected. For AZ we should include MXP, FCP & LIN. UX's main hub is MAD. BCN is a secondary hub.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Was it one of the SkyTeam members (Czech Airlines?) that had a promo sometime last year, whereby they gave you gold status straight away for taking just one flight with them?

Is any such offer around nowadays from any of the partner airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.