Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

How much more would you pay for a V fare over Z?

Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:14 am
Original Poster

I am booking a visa run flight for 2 adults and a child with a seat from KMG to JHG on China Southern. It's a 50-minute flight.

A V fare earns 40% of miles, Z earns none, but is 60 rmb ($10) cheaper per person. Is $30 worth it for 40% of miles for such a short flight anyway? We do not have status, but my husband probably will by the end of the year due to 2 RT between the US and China this year.

ETA:Actually, it's even more confusing...the 40% is based on the China Southern rules, but our FF account is with Delta, which says V earns 25%, but Z to them is Business and earns 150%. Wut.

Last edited by TheBroad; Jul 16, 2014 at 1:26 am Reason: more confusion
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheBroad
I am booking a visa run flight for 2 adults and a child with a seat from KMG to JHG on China Southern. It's a 50-minute flight.

A V fare earns 40% of miles, Z earns none, but is 60 rmb ($10) cheaper per person. Is $30 worth it for 40% of miles for such a short flight anyway? We do not have status, but my husband probably will by the end of the year due to 2 RT between the US and China this year.

ETA:Actually, it's even more confusing...the 40% is based on the China Southern rules, but our FF account is with Delta, which says V earns 25%, but Z to them is Business and earns 150%. Wut.
Will the V fare earn status miles in husband's FF program? If so, how shire are you that husband will reach the required status miles for the tier? If there's any doubt, paying ten dollars for this "insrance" would be very worthwhile.

In this case, you can purchase husband's ticket separately on his own PNR and buy the other two in the slightly cheaper fare which will not earn the 40% of X, whatever X is. You don't state the distance and this is your job to check. Also you don't state what FF program you use, so how can we give good advice?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:24 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure how to Check the mileage on the China Southern site. I think it might not even say until you book it, but it's a short flight so it might just be the 500 mile minimum (they still do that, right?) ETA: found it - full earning is 450 miles, V class is 200, Z is 0.

You may have replied before my edit. Our points are with Delta, and it seems like Delta counts V class at 25% of mileage, but there is weirdness with Z. China Southern calls Z super discount and it earns nothing, but Delta calls Z business class and it earns 100% towards medallion. I'll have to check and see how close he is, but we have another visa run happening around Thanksgiving that will probably take us on Garuda Indonesia too, so there are other chances. I also care way more about him getting status than he does

Thanks!

Last edited by TheBroad; Jul 16, 2014 at 2:51 am Reason: found more info
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Ok, estimating his miles in my head - 8000 miles (low estimate depending on connections) per flight between PVD and KMG, he should be around 24000 right now assuming he got credit for all of them. So with our return flight in December, he's got it. So the miles would just be for future use, not status.

I will be at 19,067 after the flight home, so I'm unlikely to reach the 25,000 anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.