Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold

My home carrier is SK and I therefore try to fly as much on *A carriers as possible. Currently I am looking into some summer travel from CPH to SFO. It's expensive!

It turns out, however, that a biz ticket on AF/DL is only slightly more than an economy ticket on SK. So I am strongly leaning towards that option. Now the question becomes: which ST program should I sign up for to credit those miles to? Is there a program that could tempt me to fly more ST out of CPH? Thank you very much for any good advice.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Without knowing your travel habits and usual destinations, it's difficult to give you a good advice. At that stage, I would say that you should sign up for AF/KL Flying Blue. The possibility to qualify for Elite/Elite+ status by segments might be interesting for you with CPH well served by AF, KL and other Skyteam partners.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Without knowing your travel habits and usual destinations, it's difficult to give you a good advice. At that stage, I would say that you should sign up for AF/KL Flying Blue. The possibility to qualify for Elite/Elite+ status by segments might be interesting for you with CPH well served by AF, KL and other Skyteam partners.
That was a fast response, thank you very much! To describe my travel habits I have on average yearly about 10-15 intra-european r/t flights, 4 flights to the US and 1 to Asia. Does that change anything?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
it just confirms my 1st response, as you are flying mostly intra-Europe
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: miles & more,Flying Blue, LAN Pass, Baltic Miles, Top Bonus
What I like about Flying Blue is that there is good rewards availability (eben for one-wat flights) and they don't include fuel surcharge on the reward ticket (unlike LH, OS and other Miles & More carriers).
However, while Eu flights are good for status, earning miles on the cheapest has become painful. Some AF flights even earn 0 miles in certain booking classes, or you have to pay extra to earn 125 or so...
Plus, I hate the fact that one has to pay extra for checked bagage on most intra-european AF flights, as if it was a LLC.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MetalTraveller
Plus, I hate the fact that one has to pay extra for checked bagage on most intra-european AF flights, as if it was a LLC.
This is only with the MiNi fares (the same as the ones that give no miles).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Ok, Flying Blue here I come! Thanks both for your explanations!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One advantage of DL is that miles currently don't expire.

Are you likely to fly SkyTeam enough for status, especially at the ElitePlus level?
Ursa81 likes this.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:02 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One advantage of DL is that miles currently don't expire.

Are you likely to fly SkyTeam enough for status, especially at the ElitePlus level?
I'm also looking for a SkyTea airline to sign up for. I'll hardly fly them (still Star Alliance Gold), so it would be important that miles won't expire. Also, I hate to pay high surcharges (>100 Euro) when redeeming an award flight.

Does DL stand for Delta? Do they charge high fees?

Thanks in advance,

HTB.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by htb
I'm also looking for a SkyTea airline to sign up for. I'll hardly fly them (still Star Alliance Gold), so it would be important that miles won't expire. Also, I hate to pay high surcharges (>100 Euro) when redeeming an award flight.

Does DL stand for Delta? Do they charge high fees?

Thanks in advance,

HTB.
Delta. There are high fees on award tickets originating in Europe and using certain partners.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Which ST member to become member of ?

Hi,

Looking for flight options between India (Kolkata) and Russia ( Moscow)..
I mostly fly Y class and between 3-4 return trips a year ( so not much but why should the miles go waste )..

Aeroflot seems to be the best option with respect to duration and pricing..

I am not a member of the SU ffp nor any other ST member.
Seek advise on which ST ffp is the best to join if looking for easy flight award options with ideally low fuel surcharges.. Mostly travel is ex India..
Ursa81 likes this.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a look here:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html Has some things to consider
Also look at the non alliance partners of the ST airline you fly most with

Edit
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...p-skyteam.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 13, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have a look here:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html Has some things to consider
Also look at the non alliance partners of the ST airline you fly most with

Edit
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...p-skyteam.html
Thanks for the reply..
Had gone through that link earlier and from there it seems Delta Skymiles is quite decent..
Was hoping for some inputs on my specific situation ( India based travel, Aeroflot flights)..
Old May 14, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel4Love
It turns out, however, that a biz ticket on AF/DL is only slightly more than an economy ticket on SK. So I am strongly leaning towards that option. Now the question becomes: which ST program should I sign up for to credit those miles to?
AF & DL are partners of Alaska. AS is a good ffp with a wide range of partners. They have had "buy miles" promotions which have been good value. Better than buying biz tickets. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners
Old May 20, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A

Hello, All.

If objective is to earn Elite+ quickly, can one fly Garuda (homebase airline but requires 60K miles) and deposit the miles to FB (40K miles required), for instance? Is there any better way?

Homebase is Jakarta and destination is Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Fly about 4x a year in economy (about 30K miles).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wahs; May 20, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.