Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Total Cluster* transiting at CAN, KQ to CZ

Total Cluster* transiting at CAN, KQ to CZ

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
In 2010, I transited YVR International-US on Air Canada. In YVR, due to CBP Preclearance, checked baggage is transferred automatically for you; however, you must wait after clearing CBSA for your bag to be checked by CBP. As part of this process, a photo of your bag appears on a computer and you have to identify it as your own before proceeding.

Due to my bag being tagged improperly at my origin due to no fault of my own onto a domestic flight, it was not handed off to CBP and I spent over an hour literally standing in the room they use to process passengers in need of secondary screening. Not only was the extremely cramped room extremely crammed with passengers, it was for some reason extremely hot, there were not enough extremely hard-backed chairs, and everybody else was extremely coughing to some extent.

CBP would not tell me anything, and I was treated no different that somebody selected for secondary screening. The agents in the room refused to tell me anything, and after they finished processing all the passengers from my flight, they left during what appeared to be a shift change when there was momentarily no passengers to process. When the new shift came on, nobody had any idea why I was there.

When they finally got in touch with somebody from the previous shift, it turns out that nobody had bothered notifying Air Canada that my bag hadn't turned up, at which point I waited another 30 minutes until they finally located my bag and processed me through.

While I'm not downplaying the frustration and inconvenience you had, IMO the only thing you should be complaining about is CZ resulting in your checked baggage to not make it to your final destination as expected. While you were detained 40 minutes, you made your original flight and apparently got a chance to spend a decent amount of time in a decent airport lounge.

I expect to be flamed, but I would take your experience any day and wait for my bag(s) to be delivered the next or even following day by courier than to have my bag(s) arrive on the same flight but be detained for over two hours, one of which was spent in a room where I could have contracted any number of diseases, and rush to make my original flight with minutes to spare with no chance of lounge access. And I did end up with a bad cold within a week of my experience.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by jaloola
In 2010, I transited YVR International-US on Air Canada. In YVR, due to CBP Preclearance, checked baggage is transferred automatically for you; however, you must wait after clearing CBSA for your bag to be checked by CBP. As part of this process, a photo of your bag appears on a computer and you have to identify it as your own before proceeding.

Due to my bag being tagged improperly at my origin due to no fault of my own onto a domestic flight, it was not handed off to CBP and I spent over an hour literally standing in the room they use to process passengers in need of secondary screening. Not only was the extremely cramped room extremely crammed with passengers, it was for some reason extremely hot, there were not enough extremely hard-backed chairs, and everybody else was extremely coughing to some extent.

CBP would not tell me anything, and I was treated no different that somebody selected for secondary screening. The agents in the room refused to tell me anything, and after they finished processing all the passengers from my flight, they left during what appeared to be a shift change when there was momentarily no passengers to process. When the new shift came on, nobody had any idea why I was there.

When they finally got in touch with somebody from the previous shift, it turns out that nobody had bothered notifying Air Canada that my bag hadn't turned up, at which point I waited another 30 minutes until they finally located my bag and processed me through.

While I'm not downplaying the frustration and inconvenience you had, IMO the only thing you should be complaining about is CZ resulting in your checked baggage to not make it to your final destination as expected. While you were detained 40 minutes, you made your original flight and apparently got a chance to spend a decent amount of time in a decent airport lounge.

I expect to be flamed, but I would take your experience any day and wait for my bag(s) to be delivered the next or even following day by courier than to have my bag(s) arrive on the same flight but be detained for over two hours, one of which was spent in a room where I could have contracted any number of diseases, and rush to make my original flight with minutes to spare with no chance of lounge access. And I did end up with a bad cold within a week of my experience.
And children are starving in Africa, so I would take your experience any day over what they suffer through.

[Which is to say, I have no idea what your experience has to do with mine, and if you are just pointing out that there are worse situations in the world, then yours can always be topped, and of course nothing discussed at FT matters at all.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.