Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Best and worst Skyteam lounges (by a ST airline or alliance lounge)

Old Aug 11, 13, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

Wondering which lounge operated either by the alliance (like at LHR) or by a Skyteam airline is the worst and the best around.

Candidates for the best, in no particular order:
  • Korean Airlines at ICN - I only know the one used for Business Pax, but I think there also is one for First. Very very nice
  • Air France at CDG Terminal 2E-S4 - nice because of the better food offering

Middle of the road
  1. Air France at CDG Terminal 2E
  2. Aeromexico at MEX

Candidates for the worst, in no particular order:
  • Any DL lounge in the US that is not ATL or JFK - minimalist offering, everything for a fee
  • MEA "First Class" Lounge at BEY - worn and tattered, no intl. press, poor food offering, dysfunctioning WiFi
  • KLM Crown Room in AMS - nothing wrong with it if it weren't for the food which is absolutely gross
  • Air France or KL at outstations - like a DL lounge with slightly more in terms of drinks and newspapers
  • Air France at CDG Terminal 2G - claustrophobic cubicle with a coffee machine and a couple of dry biscuits. But good newspaper selection
Old Aug 11, 13, 5:15 am
Used to be highman123

The LHR lounge is excellent because of the Spa. Free massage is always great! Food is very average and it's often very crowded...
Old Aug 11, 13, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
AM lounge in MEX has good food options and you get served at your place, however quite dark (no windows).

In the mornings I like the AF lounge at ZRH, lots of light, usually not too crowded and good croissants.

If you like fresh air, the skyclub at ATL F-terminal has an outside seating area overlooking the tarmac.

Among the worst, definitively CDG 2G, but also LYS.
Old Aug 11, 13, 12:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post

[*]Air France or KL at outstations - like a DL lounge with slightly more in terms of drinks and newspapers
I was recently several times in FRA in the morning hours and the AF station there puts any Crown lounge and even AF CDG 2E to shame. The variety of breads/rolls, cold cuts, cheeses, pastries was pretty good, but forgot to take some pics. Certainly a real improvement from a few years ago... though I have no idea how good it is during the rest of the day
Old Aug 11, 13, 1:29 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
The LHR lounge is excellent because of the Spa. Free massage is always great! Food is very average and it's often very crowded...
As a *G I was able to visit this lounge, and thought it was alright. The food, while average, was edible, and didn't just come in plastic containers with knobs (ie, UA lounge snacks), so that's good on them. They've got a fish tank too, right?

The CI "generic" lounge at BKK is terrible, it might as well be a microcosm for the rest of that airport.
Old Aug 11, 13, 2:21 pm

Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold

As *G? Really?
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Agreed

How does a *G getting into a skyteam branded lounge?
And also i think the CI lounge in Bangkok is fine. Its just small but food is good and has everything you want. Will they have a spa? No of course not because its not their home airport. Some people i find have such high expectations only invite themselves to get disapointed.

The only other downside is it dont have toilets inside.. but myself while i prefer it inside its not a deal breaker. Plus in places like HK airport this is a very common thing to have the toilets outside.
Old Aug 13, 13, 7:19 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Plat OWE (LTG 77%)
  • MEA "First Class" Lounge at BEY - worn and tattered, no intl. press, poor food offering, dysfunctioning WiFi
I am a bit surprised.
I took a BEY CDG flight in 2005/2006 and the MEA lounge - then no skyteam lounge - would have qualified for the top of the list.
Now 8 years is a long time in Beyrouth !
Old Aug 16, 13, 6:39 am
TPJ
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
As *G? Really?
All Star Gold and Business Class pax flying UA on former Continental routes ex LHR (EWR, IAH, IIRC CLE is ceased now) are sent to ST Lounge at LHR T4. UA pays ST for the access.

PS. I have a very limited experience with ST Lounge but AF lounge at TXL is awful...
Old Aug 23, 13, 7:17 pm

There was one Delta Skyclub in ATL that was so packed that there wasn't a single seat available.
Old Dec 13, 13, 3:54 pm

Programs: FB Plat

TXL for sure or CDG2g can not possibly get worse then not even having toilets in the lounge
Old Dec 14, 13, 2:25 am
Original Poster

A new nominee for the worst lounge: SV lounge at Jeddah. Disgusting....
Old Dec 14, 13, 3:31 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA) & Sapphire (QR), Star Alliance Gold (O6), SkyTeam Elite Plus (AZ)
A new nominee for the worst lounge: SV lounge at Jeddah. Disgusting....
Ha, I'm sitting here at the moment on a painful 8 hour connection

They are replacing the flooiring and there is constant loud drilling. Of course, no notices or apologies, or attempts to limit noise, or offer a quiet alternative. Horrid. The rest of the terminal is completely devoid of anything save rows of hard chairs.

The new RUH lounge isn't too bad, although it is already full to capacity at peak times...they should have made it bigger!
Old Dec 16, 13, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
Ha, I'm sitting here at the moment on a painful 8 hour connection

They are replacing the flooiring and there is constant loud drilling. Of course, no notices or apologies, or attempts to limit noise, or offer a quiet alternative. Horrid. The rest of the terminal is completely devoid of anything save rows of hard chairs.

The new RUH lounge isn't too bad, although it is already full to capacity at peak times...they should have made it bigger!
So you're in the international lounge.

I can promise you that the international lounge despite the hard drilling and all the other dis-amenities is still better than the domestic lounge which is just absolutely horrible. Filthy, noisy, un-inviting, and everything else that a lounge should not be. The (fortunately few) times that I have been there I felt as catching some nasty infection or other illness, Cholera or Dengue fever or some other kind of thing one gets in a slum. Even the 2G lounge at CDG is preferable, and that already is a dump. The only reason to go there is that the WiFi is less dysfunctional than at the rest of the airport.

Only good thing about the JED lounge: nice view on the tarmac and all those exotic B747s and other pilgrim flights coming in.
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:52 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB Plat.), LH MM, Iberia plus, HH & MRW Gold, Chevalier de la zagte berm
I like the AF/KL lounge in GRU (Sao Paulo) for the food & drink offerings. The Caipirinha for instance is excellent. However the place is somewhat tight.

Search this Thread