Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Delta vs. AirFrance - which would you choose?

Old Aug 7, 13, 8:24 am
Original Poster

currently I have declined to Delta Gold. Will be flying from DTW->Paris. Basic question-it looks like I could fly Delta equipment or Air France...which would you choose? (I don't fly internationally often)

thanks very much,

-paul
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by iflycheap View Post
Delta is a GLOBAL carrier, which means they go anywhere, anytime.
Air France is an INTERNATIONAL carrier, which means they go from cities like LA, NYC, DFW, etc., to their flag carrier city (France)
I've never heard that distinction asserted before and it seems like a very US centric viewpoint. Delta doesn't come close to "anywhere, anytime".

Both airlines fly international routes mainly from their hubs. The main difference is that US airlines often have more hubs (or hubs in more cities) than non-US airlines. While many of latter only have one hub, others (BA, Lufthansa, for example) have more than one.

As far as the original question, if you search in the Delta and Air France forum here, you'll find plenty of opinions and it will depend a lot on what class you'll be traveling in. Here are a few threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-lax-fco.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ks-drinks.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-affaires.html

Last edited by djk7; Aug 7, 13 at 9:21 am Reason: Added links to threads
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
First of all, you need to understand what the difference is.
Air France is an INTERNATIONAL carrier, which means they go from cities like LA, NYC, DFW, etc., to their flag carrier city (France)
If you are only flying to france, go with Air France.
If not, use Delta
P.S. Delta and Air France are partners in an alliance, and some of Delta's hubs are DTW (Detroit) and CDG (France)
This is completely untrue, and a strange first post. Delta only has a few fifth freedom flights, and AF has at least one. If you were based in France, would you say Delta is an "INTERNATIONAL" carrier and AF a "GLOBAL" carrier?

And why would you suggest AF if going to France, but Delta otherwise?
Where does Delta fly to from their CDG "hub"?

Last edited by nux; Aug 7, 13 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:12 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

First of all, you need to understand what the difference is.
If you are only flying to france, go with Air France.
If not, use Delta
P.S. Delta and Air France are partners in an alliance, and some of Delta's hubs are DTW (Detroit) and CDG (France)
I think he's talking about 1 flight - DWT-CDG-DTW

IMHO, I prefer foreign carriers. Better food and alcohol is free (and usually better. Can't beat French wine!)

What class are you flying (Y, B, F)?
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the cabin class and aircraft. I would inconvenience myself to avoid the AF 2-3-2 business class configuration. If OP wants IFC, only AF offers it, not DL.
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:22 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Based on the fact that the OP is a new FTer and he says he rarely flies internationally, I'm going to make the assumption that he's planning to fly economy rather than a premium cabin. (If that's incorrect, apologies.)

For economy class, AF is way, way, way better than DL. In fact, as a general rule, overseas carriers from countries other than those in complete economic/political chaos are preferable to US airlines.

(And, as an aside, I also have absolutely no idea what post #2 means either.)
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I would be flying economy. The one item that has me leaning toward Delta rather than AF is the fact that I'm 6'5 so leg room is critical to me. Since I'm gold I can book exit row in advance, but on AF that doesn't seem to be the case...not sure if I can call and see if they could switch up seats for me. In the past it seemed like delta medallian status didn't carry any weight on AF.

thanks for your thoughts.

-paul
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:38 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by detroitpaul View Post
The one item that has me leaning toward Delta rather than AF is the fact that I'm 6'5 so leg room is critical to me.
That could easily be the deciding factor, you're right that any DL status probably won't get you far with AF. Note too that AF does have a true premium economy product (wider and more leg room) between standard economy and biz on many of their planes, but I don't know how much more expensive it would be on your route (if even offered).
Old Aug 7, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by detroitpaul View Post
I would be flying economy. The one item that has me leaning toward Delta rather than AF is the fact that I'm 6'5 so leg room is critical to me. Since I'm gold I can book exit row in advance, but on AF that doesn't seem to be the case...not sure if I can call and see if they could switch up seats for me. In the past it seemed like delta medallian status didn't carry any weight on AF.

thanks for your thoughts.

-paul
Ah - the legroom issue is one thing that I can't answer for you, because I'm short (5'8") and thus never really have a problem with any airline's seats.

Looks like AF does have an economy plus option for a relatively low price - this could be of interest (sorry, can't seem to find this page in English on their site):
http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/common...siege_plus.htm
Old Aug 7, 13, 10:42 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Ah - the legroom issue is one thing that I can't answer for you, because I'm short (5'8") and thus never really have a problem with any airline's seats.

Looks like AF does have an economy plus option for a relatively low price - this could be of interest (sorry, can't seem to find this page in English on their site):
http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/fr/common...siege_plus.htm
I don't speak French, but...

50 € par siège et par vol si la durée de votre vol est inférieure ou égale à 9 h**,
70 € par siège et par vol si la durée de votre vol est supérieure à 9 h.

Pretty sure that it's 70EUR for flights over 9 hours and 50EUR for flights under 9 hours
Old Aug 7, 13, 10:54 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As these are both SkyTeam airlines, please follow the thread as it moves to the that Alliance's forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 7, 13, 11:52 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I agree that the global/ international distinction does not make sense here. Actually, there is no global airline as of yet.
I also agree that AF economy is clearly better than DL economy, and I personally would definitely pay the additional money for the exit seat and fly with AF.
Old Aug 7, 13, 1:42 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
So, I assume this is a direct flight. DTW-CDG-DTW.

AF would be a A340-300, with 2-4-2 in economy. 15 bulkhead seats and the 19D and G middle aisle seats with no/half seat in front of them. No exit row seats.

DL would be A330-300, with 2-4-2 also. 8 bulkhead and 8 exit row seats and 32 Economy plus seats (the 4 bulkheads are included in the 32).

I am 6'3", so at 6'5" I would say Delta is better for you as a gold. More chance at getting more legroom.

Last edited by bankops; Aug 7, 13 at 1:47 pm Reason: changed seatcount
Old Aug 8, 13, 4:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I don't think this is even a question. If you can get the exit row or Economy Comfort on DL for even a modest premium, then go with DL. Any difference in quality of the other stuff (e.g. food, service, etc) is marginal and probably varies more from flight to flight than between carriers.
Old Aug 8, 13, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver
I would agree with the last poster unless on the route in question you had a choice between premium economy on either AF or DL, in which case I would go with AF all things being equal, since I like AF's premium economy seat and the food is better. In other words, if it were me, my main goal would be to get into premium economy or better.

Search this Thread