Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Lounge access in Vietnam

Lounge access in Vietnam

Old Mar 29, 13, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
Lounge access in Vietnam

Hi everybody,

I have two upcoming domestic flights in Vietnam (HAN-DAD & DAD-HAN). I am SkyTeam Elite+ through KLM, but as I am based in Germany never ever had a domestic flight with SkyTeam.

The SkyTeam lounge access policy states the following:

SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card.

My question is will I be granted lounge access even though I only have a domestic flight?
Old Mar 29, 13, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM/1.9MM
Originally Posted by Rocket2511 View Post
Hi everybody,

I have two upcoming domestic flights in Vietnam (HAN-DAD & DAD-HAN). I am SkyTeam Elite+ through KLM, but as I am based in Germany never ever had a domestic flight with SkyTeam.

SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card.

My question is will I be granted lounge access even though I only have a domestic flight?
you answer your own question: no. (the same is also true for domestic AF flights in France or domestic DL flights in the US)
Old Mar 29, 13, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AB & CX Gold, SIXT Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, etc.
too bad - what a silly rule....
Old Mar 29, 13, 10:23 am

Actually, depends on your booking class. If it's biz/1st, you should be issued a separate entry pass into the lounge. Otherwise, since I notice you have Amex Plat, your Priority Pass should get you in.

With that in mind, the lounge at HAN is crappola so you're not missing out much.
Old Mar 30, 13, 4:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by speedy_j View Post
Actually, depends on your booking class. If it's biz/1st, you should be issued a separate entry pass into the lounge. Otherwise, since I notice you have Amex Plat, your Priority Pass should get you in.

With that in mind, the lounge at HAN is crappola so you're not missing out much.
crappola...

Old Apr 1, 13, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by delanotre View Post
crappola...

If this is DOMESTIC lounge then I must have been lost in the desert all this time! Will have to take new photos next month.
Old Apr 1, 13, 4:54 am

"If this is DOMESTIC lounge ..."
Yes, you are right, it is the INTERNATIONAL lounge where I were last year, going back to SIN.
Next month I will have two flights on VN, coming first from NRT with transfer in HAN to DAD in C ( so probably domestic lounge you mention ) and the other, from DAD to VTE via HAN. I don't know if I could wait in the international lounge for this flight to Laos, as it is a VN codeshare on Lao airlines (not Skyteam), with only one segment in C DAD-HAN but in Y for HAN-VTE ...(with the big problem of limited weight to 20kg)

some photos on domestic lounge in HAN
https://fr.foursquare.com/v/domestic...d6f04d9e666250

Last edited by delanotre; Apr 1, 13 at 5:39 am
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Regardless of the condition of the lounges at HAN, being inside the lounge is much better than sitting in the plastic chairs at the gates and watching the rats run accross the floor and climbing on the duty free stuff.
Old May 27, 13, 3:07 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by Rocket2511 View Post

This policy is NOT followed by Vietnam airlines.

I am FB Gold - Skyteam Elite Plus

I recently flew FRA-HAN-SGN return with Vietnam airlines, and was refused lounge access before both of the domestic legs.

The domestic lounges are apparently not treated as Skyteam lounges, even though they have the Skyteam logo displayed above the door.

My flight from HAN-SGN was cancelled by the airline and I was booked on a flight one hour later, so needed wifi to contact my hotel to delay the airport taxi. No lounge access, no other wifi available. Fortunately the lounge receptionist phoned my hotel on her mobile for me.

Returning SGN-HAN(-FRA)
  • I was not allowed lounge access in SGN, but given a lounge pass for HAN.
  • My DE safety razor was identified as a bullet when x-raying my check in baggage, I was asked did I have a gun...
  • Took two attempts before I could use the priority security check in SGN, I needed to point out the "Sky Priority" printed on my BP rather than the big red "Priority" stamp. The first guy was very impolite, he should have known what to look for.

I flew HAN-FRA seated in the mothers and young children section of the plane, my sanity barely saved by my acoustic blocking earbuds, and Led Zeppelin.

So glad to get home...

Last edited by Davee58; May 27, 13 at 3:49 pm
Old May 31, 13, 3:32 pm

I flew VN last year, RGN-HAN-VNE, and definitely did not feel treated as ST Elite+... No access to the crap lounges, no special seat selection, no excess baggage (I did not have excess baggage but asked anyway), etc.

On the other hand I flew SU a couple of times and I was surprised how well it worked. Maybe it'll just take time.

And next month I'll fly SV for the first time and let's see how it goes...
Old Jun 11, 13, 10:36 am

Coming from Tokyo to Da Nang via Hanoi, in april, I stayed 2 hours in the domestic lounge in Hanoi: four computers, good food and service.
Three pictures

Old Jul 27, 15, 7:35 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
At SGN the lounges are operated by an independent carrier; you can pay about $15USD for access.

At DAD you cannot pay-in, and connecting late-night to a following morning international doesn't count.

Arrive early for better seat selection-- forward cabin seats reserved for elites. No online.

Agent in HKG office evidently tried to process an upgrade to business, so they may exist. From what I could catch of the conversation, no one knew how to complete it and she didn't want to call the HAN office again.

No market Sky Priority line at SGN domestic security; I was the only one in it at DAD, and the only person who used SP line at HKG, SGN and DAD.

Service, still relatively disappointing, but Vietnam in what it is.
Old Aug 19, 15, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Well I have flights SYD-SGN-HAN-LHR and vice versa coming up (don't ask me how I've ended up with a domestic itinerary in the middle as I'm not stopping in a Vietnam), so hoping that my shiny new Alitalia Gold card will get me lounge access at all stops...
Sky team says domestic access when connecting to and from an international sector, which is the case.
Old Aug 20, 15, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Well I have flights SYD-SGN-HAN-LHR and vice versa coming up (don't ask me how I've ended up with a domestic itinerary in the middle as I'm not stopping in a Vietnam), so hoping that my shiny new Alitalia Gold card will get me lounge access at all stops...
Sky team says domestic access when connecting to and from an international sector, which is the case.
Should be but be prepared to show your full international itinerary to the lounge dragon. Satellite but important point : do you have a citizenship which requires a visa to enter Vietnam ? If yes, did you realize that this itinerary will require you to have such a visa ? Just in case
Old Aug 21, 15, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Should be but be prepared to show your full international itinerary to the lounge dragon. Satellite but important point : do you have a citizenship which requires a visa to enter Vietnam ? If yes, did you realize that this itinerary will require you to have such a visa ? Just in case
Thanks yes, I only realised this after booking. Thankfully British passports are visa exempt, although only recently so.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: