FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   "Emergency Exit" from OK Plus within Skyteam? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/1423103-emergency-exit-ok-plus-within-skyteam.html)

stegho Jan 2, 2013 3:01 am

"Emergency Exit" from OK Plus within Skyteam?

Greetings all,

with all the last rumors and also based on my recent experience with Czech Airlines/OK Plus - what would You recommend to do as an emergency plan? I am thinking to rather invest my future into other airline (Elite Plus, ~50 segments with Skyteam yearly, plus other groups as well).

I am based in PRG area, mostly flying within Europe (NL, DE, ES, ...) but other destinations and further expansion of my region in close future is quite possible.

I have tried to contact KLM and ask them to match my status, but got rejected ;).

Thanks for advice.

KLflyerRalph Jan 2, 2013 5:17 am

A status match from SkyTeam airline to SkyTeam airline is impossible.
Are you still OK Elite+? With 50 segments you can easily make Elite+ on another airline.
If you still hold a valid OK Elite+ card you can use that for the benefits while flying and credit your flights to another program.
To you want to switch program or also airline?

KLflyerRalph Jan 2, 2013 6:09 am

BTW, Delta gives you a status challenge: Delta status match

stegho Jan 4, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks Ralph,

yes, I am Elite+ already. However I am not aware of the way of using my current status, and collecting the new flights/segments on a different airline card. Usually the possibility to upgrade/lounge/whatever is checked directly at the boarding pass.

Or do You have a way how to do it? Let's say put my points on KL Flying Blue, and check in at the lounge with my OK Plus Gold?

PS: I am also Silver with Lufthansa (and having a Gold one from TKY - so similar issue), so eventually I could do a status match from different program, but I am currently not aware of any Status Match at KLM (I guess staying within Europe would make sense).

KLflyerRalph Jan 4, 2013 5:54 am

In theory, you can use your OK card for the benefits while you have another FFP number on file for mileage accrual. Some agents/airlines don't like this and insist your E+ number is in the reservation (sometimes in your best interest for Skypriority services). In that case, you can always change your number at the gate, after the lounge visit and check in.

stegho Jan 7, 2013 10:14 pm

Interesting advice.
Was thinking about it, but never tested it in reality. Will give it a try.

And doing it, what would be the best other Skyteam Airline to chose? I do have some old KLM card. I do not feel too well with AF. US companies are too far again...

Thanks.

MSPeconomist Jan 8, 2013 11:07 am

Originally Posted by stegho (Post 19999186)
Interesting advice.
Was thinking about it, but never tested it in reality. Will give it a try.

And doing it, what would be the best other Skyteam Airline to chose? I do have some old KLM card. I do not feel too well with AF. US companies are too far again...

Thanks.

You are aware, aren't you, that AF/KLM have a combined FF program called FB? Your old KLM account should now be FB, or eliminated due to inactivity.

stegho Jan 9, 2013 1:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20002904)
You are aware, aren't you, that AF/KLM have a combined FF program called FB? Your old KLM account should now be FB, or eliminated due to inactivity.

Well, recently I tried to log in to my FlyingBlue account and it seemed working. I thought there is still some difference if I have FB via KLM or via AF - isn't it?

Anyway, back to original question. What if not CSA/OK Plus?

BTW, I just got a newsletter from OK Plus saying, that they quit pretty much all cooperation partners for using/gaining miles, including their own "presents". So for now, only use of miles is for flights...

Supersonic Swinger Jan 9, 2013 1:42 am

Originally Posted by stegho (Post 20007971)
BTW, I just got a newsletter from OK Plus saying, that they quit pretty much all cooperation partners for using/gaining miles, including their own "presents". So for now, only use of miles is for flights...

That bad? A news search only comes up with that month ago Qatar were "studying" the OK privatisation proposal by the Czech government...

Just looked at the OK website and they're still listing partners.

holtju2 Jan 9, 2013 1:50 am

If OK goes belly up, it is likely that OK Plus members will receive status match offers from all of the three alliances.

stegho Jan 9, 2013 6:49 am

Here the text from today's newsletter of OK Plus (in Czech, but GooTran will do quite fair job on this):

Ukončení spolupráce s některými partnery

V průběhu roku 2013 dojde k ukončení spolupráce s některými partnery programu. Míle tak nebude možné v budoucnu získat u těchto partnerů: Bonus program České spořitelny, Exclusive Program a Módní dům Blažek. Zároveň bude ukončena možnost využití mil za Dárky OK Plus. I nadále však můžete získávat míle u téměř 90 partnerů programu, které vyměníte za bonusové letenky, nadváhu zavazadel, pronájem vozu a další odměny související s cestováním.

Bonus Program České spořitelny
Spolupráce bude ukončena k 31.12.2013. Body na míle bude možné převést nejpozději v průběhu prosince 2013.

Exclusive Program
Spolupráce bude ukončena k 28.2.2013. Body na míle bude možné převést nejpozději v průběhu února 2013.

Módní dům Blažek
Spolupráce bude ukončena k 31.1.2013. Míle bude možné získat nejpozději v průběhu ledna 2013. Reklamace nenačtených mil je možné vyžádat nejpozději do konce února 2013.

Dárky OK Plus
Nabídka Dárků OK Plus za míle bude ukončena k 31.1.2013. Míle na kterýkoliv z nabízených dárků bude možné využít nejpozději v průběhu ledna 2013.

hondzyyk Jan 9, 2013 1:54 pm

Your choice of future FFP really depends on your booking patterns and preferred redemptions. I'm also PRG based and very happy with Delta as primary FFP. But it's because I'm almost always booked into discounted economy fares and redeem outside of Europe.

It might be easier to get status on FB but you earn very few miles unless you book higher fares. FB is way better if you want to redeem for flights within Europe since they no longer charge YQ on awards and run discounted award promotions.

DL on the other hand is useless for redemption within Europe as you often end up paying less with a revenue ticket. On the plus side you almost always get full miles even in coach. If you want to avoid the hefty YQ ("international origination charge"), your choices from Europe are extremely limited to KE, AM and Saudia. You best use your miles on awards for trips originating outside Europe. Plus all the usual downsides of SkyMiles that are discussed on DL forum apply. DL still may be a great choice for some but not all euro flyers.

stegho Jan 9, 2013 11:46 pm

Honzo,

thanks, that's a very good piece of information. I actually was really facing troubles how to really use the miles within EU (last time I used my OK miles for 2 RTW trips, but that was about it), so taking it off the continent seems a very attractive way to go.

Thanks again for hint.