Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone flown on sukhoi superjet 100-95

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I have a ticket on hold. There will be a flight on Sukhoi from SVO to CPH leaving just before midnight for about 2 1/2 hour flight.

Is it safe? Are the pilots very competent?

I have never taken an Aeroflot flight before but found a very cheap RT from LAX to CPH for June 2013
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The SSJ-100 is safe. The crash of the first one happened because of ATC and pilots errors.
So far only two SSJ lost wheels while airborne. But they landed safely.
I wouldn't think twice about it and go for a ride.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwiadca
The SSJ-100 is safe. The crash of the first one happened because of ATC and pilots errors.
So far only two SSJ lost wheels while airborne. But they landed safely.
I wouldn't think twice about it and go for a ride.

What is ATC? Losing wheels while airborne doesn't usually happen to planes, or do they?

Also, the flight from /to SVO to CPH will be in the dark ,just before midnight.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by metoo
What is ATC?
ATC = Air Traffic Control
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Take the flight, but make sure you have insurance....
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dh01
Take the flight, but make sure you have insurance....
Chickened out and cancelled my Aeroflot flight to Copenhagen. Even though it is $500 cheaper on economy class, i have read horrible reviews on customer service, interior plane and chaos at Moscow Airport.

Not worth it for my sanity...now just need patience to find a Business Class Awards ticket for RT to Copenhagen in the Summer 2013.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Oh come on. Last year I flew to Poland just to fly in Antonov AN-2 built in 1971. You have no idea how rare these planes will become.
Armavia already grounded their fleet of SSJ's and they are canceling rest of the deliveries.
Take a flight till you can. I'm serious.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Oh come on. Last year I flew to Poland just to fly in Antonov AN-2 built in 1971. You have no idea how rare these planes will become.
Armavia already grounded their fleet of SSJ's and they are canceling rest of the deliveries.
Take a flight till you can. I'm serious.
I flew Polkovo Airways twice and had 2 great flights on old Soviet aircraft. Forgot what kind. A short hop from Moscow - St Petersburg an a plane that looked like a 727 on steroids. But the best was St Petersburg - TLV in a converted bomber. I was only passenger in C and the F/A's let we come down the giant stairs that lead to the belly (bomb bay) from the center of C class. That's where the crew smokes so I was welcome to come down any time. They also let me in the cockpit during the flight. 4 PILOTS!!!!! The largest cockpit I've ever seen and everything was analog. Not an led light or dial in the whole place (Captain, F/O, Engineer and NAVAGATOR
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I flew Polkovo Airways twice and had 2 great flights on old Soviet aircraft. Forgot what kind. A short hop from Moscow - St Petersburg an a plane that looked like a 727 on steroids. But the best was St Petersburg - TLV in a converted bomber. I was only passenger in C and the F/A's let we come down the giant stairs that lead to the belly (bomb bay) from the center of C class. That's where the crew smokes so I was welcome to come down any time. They also let me in the cockpit during the flight. 4 PILOTS!!!!! The largest cockpit I've ever seen and everything was analog. Not an led light or dial in the whole place (Captain, F/O, Engineer and NAVAGATOR
It doesn't sound safe to me for a flight to have its FAs smoking downstairs, presumably near the cargo and checked luggage. However, what an interesting experience!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
You are making this up, right?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Well nothing highly flammable is supposed to be checked, and I remember the smoking flights of the 80s and before. As long as there is a place for their butts!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It doesn't sound safe to me for a flight to have its FAs smoking downstairs, presumably near the cargo and checked luggage. However, what an interesting experience!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by raistlin
You are making this up, right?
Absolutely.

The only Soviet passenger jet aircraft which might be called 'converted bomber' was Tu-104 (its design was based on Tu-16).

But one couldn't fly LED-TLV on a Tu-104 for two reasons:

1. The distance is larger than operational range for a Tu-104.

2. Tu-104s were operated between 1956 and 1979. During all that period relations between USSR and Israel were poor, and in 1967 diplomatic relations were officially broken.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I think he was flying on IL-86 of Pulkovo from the description.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Hmm. I was also thinking IL-86, which indeed has wide stairs going down from the main passenger deck (I thought they were at the front of the Y cabin, rather than in the C cabin, but I might be mistaken, or maybe it varied depending on individual operator's layouts). I think this design was to facilitate passenger embarkation at remote strips with no airbridges nor high enough stairs. The IL-86 was always designed as a passenger airliner (although it has also been used for military purposes) - not as a bomber.

The other option would be the IL-76, which is a multi-purpose aircraft used for both military and civilian purposes. It has a glass-nose, which makes it look like an old-style bomber (although I think the glass-nose may have just been designed to facilitate landing at remote strips, rather than as a bomb-aiming facility...) Unfortunately I've never flown on one, but I guess it also has steps inside. However, I don't think it has ever seen wide-spread use for scheduled passenger flights.

A short hop from Moscow - St Petersburg an a plane that looked like a 727 on steroids.
I'd also be interested to know what this one was. I'm guessing Tu-154, but it could also have been a Yak-42.

Originally Posted by metoo
Sadly not. It's one of the very few current civilian manufacturers that I haven't flown on yet - although I would if I had the chance.

Last edited by KQ321; Aug 25, 2012 at 7:30 am Reason: Answering the original question
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Indeed! Somehow I managed to forget about Il-86. Though by no means it may be called 'converted bomber'.
Originally Posted by KQ321
which indeed has wide stairs going down from the main passenger deck (I thought they were at the front of the Y cabin, rather than in the C cabin, but I might be mistaken, or maybe it varied depending on individual operator's layouts). I think this design was to facilitate passenger embarkation at remote strips with no airbridges nor high enough stairs.
Actually, it has 3 staircases, in every cabin.

They were made in an attempt to save on installing baggage handling systems in airports. It was supposed that passengers in smaller airports would bring their baggage with them, leave it on shelves in the lower deck, and then walk up to the upper one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.