Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is SAUDIA not showing up on DELTA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Why is SAUDIA not showing up on DELTA

Saudi Arabian Airlines - SAUDIA joined Skyteam on May 29, 2012.
So why doesnt it show up under Skymiles - Earn Miles - Airline Partners ?

When does earning and redeemign miles on Saudia begin?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:45 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Perhaps this fits better in the Delta subforum?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:14 am

I remember reading an article that Delta won't be code-sharing with Saudia flights due to their discrimination to certain races but Saudi is code-sharing on Delta flights.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by J_Fleish
I remember reading an article that Delta won't be code-sharing with Saudia flights due to their discrimination to certain races but Saudi is code-sharing on Delta flights.
Which races do they discriminate against?
I don;t want to start a controversy, but there is something about overt discrimination that makes it better than covert, like profiling, yet denying profiling.

Code sharing is something entirely different. Two member of an alliance don't have to code-share.
I suspect, what the OP was asking was that Saudia is not showing up on the list of airline partners.
By definition all members of an alliance are partners. This raises the question, can you earn Medallion Qualifying miles on Saudia? If yes, it must be a DL partner. Then why isn't it showing up on the list or airline partners.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:24 pm

Saudi wanted Delta to discriminate Jews on all Delta flights including US domestic flights. Delta instead decided not to code-share with Saudi Arabian Airlines because of this. Why should an airline in a multicultural country be forced to alienate some of their current customers. Delta stated they r flying into Saudi Arabia but are not code-sharing due to discrimination. They stated they are working with congress to find a solution to the whole Saudi problem and for passengers to check the entry requirements for international countries when flying so they do not alienate their current customers

Last edited by J_Fleish; Jun 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Saudi wanted Delta to discriminate Jews on all Delta flights including US domestic flights.
What's the evidence for that? Can you point to anything in the U.S. national press? WSJ, NYT, Wash Post, etc.?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Please cite how exactly Saudia was planning on doing any of that??!!

I have flown Saudia many times and been to KSA more times then I can count. I have never seen Saudia ask nor care what the religions or nationalities of their passengers are/were (except for citizens of Israel, but more on that in a minute). Now, some people were influences by a panicky false e-mail that made the rounds quoting a LA councilperson or California state Senator, or some other extremely minor politician, and that made the rounds, and was quickly disavowed by many that carried or transmitted it.

The issue has to do with visas.

1) A person wishing just to transit KSA needs no visa so there is no issue.
2) A person who wishes to visit KSA needs a visa and must have a real purpose to go there and therefore be invited. KSA generally has no such tourist visa category.
3) They ask religion on their visa forms, if you do not fill it in, you will get a visa. If you fill it in as Jewish, you probably will STILL get a visa. If you fill it in as Shi'a you also may not get a visa these days.
4) If you have Israeli stamps in your passport you may be denied entry.

I should mention that I know at least a half dozen Jewish people who regularly do business in KSA and have never had an issue, one of who also regularly frequents Israel.

Now I can name a couple dozen other countries that have similar provisions on their books against those who have Israeli stamps in their passports, the vast majority do not enforce them and for that matter this has been an issue for so long that it is why many ask for their Israeli stamps on a separate piece of paper and why the Israelis regularly do this.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In response to the above question:

There is no evidence of that.
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Which races do they discriminate against?
I don;t want to start a controversy, but there is something about overt discrimination that makes it better than covert, like profiling, yet denying profiling.

Code sharing is something entirely different. Two member of an alliance don't have to code-share.
I suspect, what the OP was asking was that Saudia is not showing up on the list of airline partners.
By definition all members of an alliance are partners. This raises the question, can you earn Medallion Qualifying miles on Saudia? If yes, it must be a DL partner. Then why isn't it showing up on the list or airline partners.
It is possible to be members of the same alliance while both: not code-sharing on some/many/any/all flights; and not giving flight credit for some/many flights. What would be unprecedented since the three big global airline alliances came into being would be denial of any credit for all flights of an alliance member. It is still to be seen how this is going to go over.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Saudi wanted Delta to discriminate Jews on all Delta flights including US domestic flights.
Can you provide any citation or links to support this?
Delta instead decided not to code-share with Saudi Arabian Airlines because of this.
As stated before, there are numerous examples of airlines in an alliance not code sharing. Once again, please direct me to your sources. DL does not even code share with AF on all the routes. Code sharing is not related to an alllaince. Airlince can code share outside their alliance too.
Why should an airline in a multicultural country be forced to alienate some of their current customers. Delta stated they r flying into Saudi Arabia but are not code-sharing due to discrimination.
Same as above.
They stated they are working with congress to find a solution to the whole Saudi problem and for passengers to check the entry requirements for international countries when flying so they do not alienate their current customers
Any press release, any articles to support this?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He won't have any because he is relying on a flawed whack job e-mail from a year ago that was discredited by most everyone the next day.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:01 am

sorry about that it wouldn't log me on there were articles in the Fox News, Huffington Post, Atlanta Business Journal and the Atlanta Jewish News as well as many other sites

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...udi-agreement/

http://www.ajc.com/business/saudi-ar...s-1448779.html

The latter links talks about Delta not codesharing with Saudia
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
sorry about that it wouldn't log me on there were articles in the Fox News, Huffington Post, Atlanta Business Journal and the Atlanta Jewish News as well as many other sites

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...udi-agreement/

http://www.ajc.com/business/saudi-ar...s-1448779.html

The latter links talks about Delta not codesharing with Saudia
Yes, DL not codesharing with SV is pretty well known around here. However, you made some other rather far-fetched claims ("Saudi wanted Delta to discriminate Jews on all Delta flights including US domestic flights." topping my list.) that you have not provided evidence for. Of course, it's not possible to provide evidence to support such a blatantly false statement.

Further, the AJC article plainly states that DL will allow earning of miles, lounge access, etc., which is really the whole point of this thread.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And they never ever planned on codesharing in the first place!

Sort of like if I wrote an article saying that J_fleish might in fact be a murderer because he went to high school with one, or spuriously asking if because you work with a company that had tax problems that you in fact do not plan on cheating on YOUR taxes in the future.

The Fox article was preposterous, and the AJC article in effect stated nothing more than that this tempest in a teapot happened last year and and has now passed.

At the end of the day, Israelis cannot travel to Saudi, nor can they travel to a bunch of other countries, at the end of the day that is ISRAEL's problem, not anyone else's and has been occurring for over 60 years.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah I am waiting for him to explain that as well.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Gotta love that FOX News article ... its so fair and balanced

Do these people not know that the USA has long ago sold their soul to the Saudis for oil.

If Delta wanted to make a stand, they should stop buying Saudi oil and leave the alliance.

btw, if Saudi discriminates against Jews, what do you call the incidents of discrimination and racism in the USA, like the time the imams got pulled off a flight for praying.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.