Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saudia (SV) Joining Date announced: 29 May 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Yeah but if one includes a domestic segment and the entire itinerary is on SV then one will have to clear immigration to get the domestic flight and thus get out in the open. Per the rules above one does not need a visa for this right?

I understand your point if one is going JFK-RUH-BOM. But how about JFK-RUH-DMM-BOM?
I have been to Saudi many many times and I got to know many of their restrictive rule.

I can confirm to you that if you do a domestic transit like the one you propose then you will need a transit visa. No way you can do it without the transit visa.
Old May 23, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have been to Saudi many many times and I got to know many of their restrictive rule.

I can confirm to you that if you do a domestic transit like the one you propose then you will need a transit visa. No way you can do it without the transit visa.
Darn.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:10 am

Here is the first SV aircraft in Skyteam livery:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/SkyTe...85942f7b45e892

http://www.airliners.net/photo/SkyTe...85942f7b45e892
Old May 29, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
There was already a A320 in ST livery

Strange that B777 says Joining in June ?
Old May 30, 2012, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
And here's the press release from SkyTeam. From the photo on Facebook, it appears they did the joining ceremony at night. This is not a surprise, given that temps are over 40ºC during the day.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:30 am

Probably the plane will be joining in June. Maybe the inside is not finished.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know if this trick will work:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18663625-post27.html

Book an itinerary with a 72 hour connection, and then see the relatives? It says, "no right to visitation"
Old May 30, 2012, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Book an itinerary with a 72 hour connection, and then see the relatives? It says, "no right to visitation"
I would guess not as visas are required for transits over IIRC 18 hours, 8 if using other carriers. Remember that KSA doesn't give tourist visas to most nationalities and the requirements for business travel are a hassle.
Old May 30, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would guess not as visas are required for transits over IIRC 18 hours, 8 if using other carriers. Remember that KSA doesn't give tourist visas to most nationalities and the requirements for business travel are a hassle.
I agree with tourist visas. But if one has a transit of 3 days and has a transit visa, won't authorities allow you to leave the airport? Or is one expected to stay in the airport for so many days?
Old May 30, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

The onward ticket requirement for transit visa on arrival means onward ticket to a destination outside the country. However, if your international itinerary is Foreign City-JED/DMM-RUH-Inward Foreign city, you can avail of only one stopover in transit. This ia what I understand from the rules posted here.

I must commend you for your vailant effort though.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
The onward ticket requirement for transit visa on arrival means onward ticket to a destination outside the country. However, if your international itinerary is Foreign City-JED/DMM-RUH-Inward Foreign city, you can avail of only one stopover in transit. This ia what I understand from the rules posted here.

I must commend you for your vailant effort though.
Its one of those places that makes me so curious only because of the tight visa rules

I don't think the visa you are talking about is on arrival.

I was thinking of JFK - RUH - India with less than 72 hours transit at RUH.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree with tourist visas. But if one has a transit of 3 days and has a transit visa, won't authorities allow you to leave the airport? Or is one expected to stay in the airport for so many days?
I assume you can leave the airport, but visiting relatives could be considered a fraudulent use of a transit visa. Or if the application asks about relatives, this could raise red flags.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Its one of those places that makes me so curious only because of the tight visa rules

I don't think the visa you are talking about is on arrival.

I was thinking of JFK - RUH - India with less than 72 hours transit at RUH.
You are right, it's transit without visa.
None of the rules posted here says that you are allowed 72 hours for connecting to another flight. What you are allowed is 18 hours if you are connecting to a Saudia flight, or8 hours to connect with another airline. Why do you keep bringing 72 hours? Am I missing something?
Old May 30, 2012, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Why do you keep bringing 72 hours? Am I missing something?
Its mentioned here:

http://www.saudiembassy.net/services/transit_visa.aspx

Travelers transiting in Saudi Arabia for less than eighteen (18) hours do not need a transit visa.

A ticket with confirmed reservations, with a transit time not exceeding seventy-two (72) hours

Doesn't this mean that if the transit is more than 18 hours one needs a transit visa and since 72 hours is a long time to sit in an airport, so I am guessing one is allowed to get out. Looks like this is a middle east thing, Kuwait also has it.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:59 am

Have some relatives in DMM. Plus just want to get bragging rights .
It looks like this thread has changed from SV joining SKYTEAM to your plans to visit your relatives in KSA using any means

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.