Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam Y Mileage Upgrade Denied...by DL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Skyteam Y Mileage Upgrade Denied...by DL

I am booked in Y on an upcoming flight from ICN to ATL. The flight is a DL codeshare operated by KE, a Skyteam member. I was so excited to learn that the option existed, however, it is evidently only valid for a flight that is both marketed and operated by that carrier. DL upgrade policy does not apply as well.

I look at it this way: If the flight was booked with a KE flight number, then I could get an upgrade through the Skyteam upgrade program. If the flight was on DL metal with a DL flight number, then I could use the SkyMiles upgrade program. I guess this is what grey area is called.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Have you asked if they're willing to change the ticket to the KE flight number? I know that agents have been known to change the flight number between DL and AF when needed to get a Premium Voyageur->Affaires upgrade go through.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:26 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
I guess this is what grey area is called.
Actually, the rules for the SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade Program are very clear (http://www.SkyTeam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/):
1. Purchase an international, published, full-fare Economy Class reservation on one of the participating SkyTeam Member airlines. The flight must be marketed and operated by the same SkyTeam carrier, as code-share flights are not permitted.
As mtkeller had already mentioned, you do have an option of [re-]booking using a non-codeshared flight number.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
[re-]booking using a non-codeshared flight number.
Not necessarily a bad idea, but my employer requires me to use US flag carriers with the only exception being codeshares such as this one.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
Not necessarily a bad idea, but my employer requires me to use US flag carriers with the only exception being codeshares such as this one.
Sorry about that... I did not know that some companies would put so dum... ugh sorry... patriotic rules in their travel policies!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:14 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by olivedel
Sorry about that... I did not know that some companies would put so dum... ugh sorry... patriotic rules in their travel policies!
These rules likely flow-through from http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_America_Act
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by KVS
These rules likely flow-through from http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_America_Act
That's exactly the reason. Companies which work on gov't contracts will not be reimbursed for costs unless they use a US carrier, even if it's more expensive. I was surprised the first time I was permitted to fly LH as long as it looked like a UA flight.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
That's exactly the reason. Companies which work on gov't contracts will not be reimbursed for costs unless they use a US carrier, even if it's more expensive. I was surprised the first time I was permitted to fly LH as long as it looked like a UA flight.
So now that it's ticketed and paid, have you tried persuading DL to change the flight number you're booked under? (Or do you have to turn in boarding passes in the end that will need to reflect the DL flight number?)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:44 pm

Not so bad to be on KE Economy as their Economy class is very nice.
Lots of legroom 34" and the IFE is very good with a big AVOD screen.
Food is nice too.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Not so bad to be on KE Economy as their Economy class is very nice.
Lots of legroom 34" and the IFE is very good with a big AVOD screen.
Food is nice too.
It is very hard to convince anyone that Y is not bad considering they had their eyes on J.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
It is very hard to convince anyone that Y is not bad considering they had their eyes on J.
to make the matter even worse, the ticket was bought and issued in Y booking class which means that a lot more money was paid for no difference than a heavily discounted economy seat...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
With a full fare Y ticket you have the option to change flights.

Instead of a non stop ICN to ATL, why not take a DL metal flight (DL 646) to NRT or a DL code share on KE metal (DL 7877) and then to the trans pac to ATL on Delta metal, DL 280, and grab your upgrade, or take the DL metal (DL 158) from ICN to DTW and a domestic DL flight into Atlanta. The comfort of business class on the trans pac is, IMHO, well worth the connection vs non stop flight.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bescobar
With a full fare Y ticket you have the option to change flights.

Instead of a non stop ICN to ATL, why not take a DL metal flight (DL 646) to NRT or a DL code share on KE metal (DL 7877) and then to the trans pac to ATL on Delta metal, DL 280, and grab your upgrade, or take the DL metal (DL 158) from ICN to DTW and a domestic DL flight into Atlanta. The comfort of business class on the trans pac is, IMHO, well worth the connection vs non stop flight.
That's similar to what I finally ended up doing. I used expert flyer to find my Z upgrade options, found 1 seat open on the DTW return, called DL, booked that, and then got waitlisted for F on the ATL-DTW sector. Thanks to Y, the upgrade finally cleared despite it being greater than 5 days out.

I ended up sucking it up on the inbound sector, flying in KE Y. It was very uncomfortable.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: EBD
I have been searching for a consolidated list of mileage requirements for Skyteam upgrades. Any way to find out without having to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.