Reload this Page >

"Preferred Seating" on ST Carriers

"Preferred Seating" on ST Carriers

Old Nov 3, 11, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question "Preferred Seating" on ST Carriers

Hi All,

I've been looking through various threads, and I was hoping to get a better sense of what "preferred" seating means for various ST carriers--an advertised benefit for ST elite/+ members. On DL metal, for example, elite members can secure an exit row seat, seats in the forward part of the cabin, and, domestic Y+ down the road. But what about other airlines like KE, AF, AZ, KL, SU, etc.? Whenever I fly KE or SU, for instance, they never let me reserve a bulkhead or exit row seat. For AF, an exit row seat isn't PV and thus NOT subject to additional monies. On KL, an exit row counts as Economy Comfort and there is a charge for ST elite members.

Anyone else have experiences with the other airlines? I wish there would be some standardization here. It'd be nice to compile a list of people with their current DL SM status and what seats they've been able to pre-reserve as "preferred" seating on other ST carriers.

Thanks, FT!

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Nov 3, 11 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 4, 11, 2:40 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat
You don't get much of anything on KLM. No free access to preferred seats. Elite+ gets a 50% discount off of Economy Comfort (4 extra inches) which is the same as KLM Gold.
Old Nov 4, 11, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by bwallet View Post
You don't get much of anything on KLM. No free access to preferred seats. Elite+ gets a 50% discount off of Economy Comfort (4 extra inches) which is the same as KLM Gold.
Some have reported that a call to DL agents will get you the EC seating on KL at no charge but that the KL computers and KL phone agents will try to charge you. Yet more wonderful ST integration
Old Nov 4, 11, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
In my limited experience (one flight today) I was able to, as a PM, select KLM EC seats for no charge. KLM's site asked for money, and I did not try calling at all. The seat assignments stuck and I took off in the EC seat I had reserved.

While we were still climbing, an FA came and offered me a seat up front, so I didn't actually fly much in the seat.
Old Nov 4, 11, 6:51 am

http://www.klm.com/travel/no_en/prep...eat_choice.htm

The price for a seat in the Economy Comfort zone is from EUR 60 to 150 per one way, depending on the duration of the flight. If you are a Flying Blue Platinum member or if you travel on a fully flexible Economy ticket, you can get a seat in the Economy Comfort zone free of charge. Flying Blue Gold members and SkyTeam Elite Plus members of our partner airlines receive a 50% discount. Flying Blue Silver members pay 25% less. All you need is a credit card.
Old Nov 4, 11, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by bwallet View Post
http://www.klm.com/travel/no_en/prep...eat_choice.htm

The price for a seat in the Economy Comfort zone is from EUR 60 to 150 per one way, depending on the duration of the flight. If you are a Flying Blue Platinum member or if you travel on a fully flexible Economy ticket, you can get a seat in the Economy Comfort zone free of charge. Flying Blue Gold members and SkyTeam Elite Plus members of our partner airlines receive a 50% discount. Flying Blue Silver members pay 25% less. All you need is a credit card.
Yes, however it appears to be an unpublished reciprocal benefit for DL PM and DM to get them for free, since FB Plats get free access to EC on DL metal.
Old Nov 5, 11, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Anyone else have any experiences with SkyTeam carriers, especially those across the Pacific and sub-equator? Perhaps for AZ, AM, KE, SU, CI, VN, MU, and CZ?
Old Nov 5, 11, 8:23 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Yes, however it appears to be an unpublished reciprocal benefit for DL PM and DM to get them for free, since FB Plats get free access to EC on DL metal.
Then all the agents who handled me where unaware of that unpublished perk. I always had to pay for EC and I had no access to the exit row on any of my KLM TATL's this year (as PM).
Old Nov 5, 11, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
If that's the case, I'd like to hear from some other folks who have benefited from this unpublished perk. I have an EZE-AMS-GRU trip coming up within the week and I might try to select an E+ seat if I can get one without paying the fee. Even with the 50% discount I'd probably stick with my regular seat assignment.
Old Nov 5, 11, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper View Post
If that's the case, I'd like to hear from some other folks who have benefited from this unpublished perk. I have an EZE-AMS-GRU trip coming up within the week and I might try to select an E+ seat if I can get one without paying the fee. Even with the 50% discount I'd probably stick with my regular seat assignment.
at OLCI you should be able to pick an E+ seat.
Old Nov 6, 11, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
at OLCI you should be able to pick an E+ seat.
And, for whatever reason, I'm never able to use OLCI (DL or KL) when flying TATL...
Old Nov 6, 11, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by mattsteg View Post
In my limited experience (one flight today) I was able to, as a PM, select KLM EC seats for no charge. KLM's site asked for money, and I did not try calling at all. The seat assignments stuck and I took off in the EC seat I had reserved.

While we were still climbing, an FA came and offered me a seat up front, so I didn't actually fly much in the seat.
Did you select the seats on DL's or KL's site? I qualify for the 50% off but would rather not have to pay ...

I have a DL ticket with a KL TATL segment and on DL.com, I have an EC seat, but don't know if it will stick.
Old Oct 31, 12, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Bump. Any experience with what seat benefit, if any, Flying Blue Silvers get on SU?

Thx.