Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Can I get upgraded on Aeromexico flight when gold on Delta?

Can I get upgraded on Aeromexico flight when gold on Delta?

Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by ElLTA
So if some of you have been upgraded on AeroMexico, please clue me in. What's the secret?????
ElLTA, I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I'm under the impression that upgrades for DL elites on AM are not automatic. I think you have to ask. As I mentioned in a post above, the ticket counter supervisor authorized my upgrade out of IAD. In MEX, the counter agent said he put me on the list. I confirmed again when I got to the AM lounge and then when I went to the gate I asked and they had already upgraded me. For the life of me, I can't find anything about this benefit published on the DL or AM websites. If you can find proof the benefit exists, it would be good to carry a printout. The fact that no one batted an eye any time I asked about the upgrade suggests that many know about the benefit. Perhaps if the agent you are dealing with is unaware, you could ask them to check with a colleague or supervisor. You can also pull, the "last time I flew AM on DL coded ticket I was upgraded" even though this isn't true. You could also print out the reservation page on Delta that shows 'upgrade requested'.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
ElLTA, I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I'm under the impression that upgrades for DL elites on AM are not automatic. I think you have to ask.
You certainly *used* to have to ask.

Any updates on this issue? There is a bit more on each website, but nothing particularly clear. And with expanded service on AM, including the 787 routes...
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
ElLTA, I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I'm under the impression that upgrades for DL elites on AM are not automatic. I think you have to ask. As I mentioned in a post above, the ticket counter supervisor authorized my upgrade out of IAD. In MEX, the counter agent said he put me on the list. I confirmed again when I got to the AM lounge and then when I went to the gate I asked and they had already upgraded me. For the life of me, I can't find anything about this benefit published on the DL or AM websites. If you can find proof the benefit exists, it would be good to carry a printout. The fact that no one batted an eye any time I asked about the upgrade suggests that many know about the benefit. Perhaps if the agent you are dealing with is unaware, you could ask them to check with a colleague or supervisor. You can also pull, the "last time I flew AM on DL coded ticket I was upgraded" even though this isn't true. You could also print out the reservation page on Delta that shows 'upgrade requested'.
I'm flying AM (SFO-MEX). in 2 weeks. both my wife and i are DL Platinum Medallion. I called AM to give them our Skymiles# and ask if what benefits we'd get.

AM agent said we'd be eligible for seat upgrades (to 1st class, not just Prem Economy) within 72 hours. she wasn't sure if it was automatic or I had to call, so she encouraged me to call.

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but if it is that would be great. I purchased the ticket on AM's website, not a codeshare through DL, so I'm a bit skeptical, but heck, at least I'll get lounge access and early boarding since I presume that'll be printed on my Boarding Pass.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
I'm flying AM (SFO-MEX). in 2 weeks. both my wife and i are DL Platinum Medallion. I called AM to give them our Skymiles# and ask if what benefits we'd get.

AM agent said we'd be eligible for seat upgrades (to 1st class, not just Prem Economy) within 72 hours. she wasn't sure if it was automatic or I had to call, so she encouraged me to call.

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but if it is that would be great. I purchased the ticket on AM's website, not a codeshare through DL, so I'm a bit skeptical, but heck, at least I'll get lounge access and early boarding since I presume that'll be printed on my Boarding Pass.
I almost always upgrade, but it's been down to the wire at the gate a few times. Brief: call. Message on the website. Ask at check-in. Ask again at gate. Always be very, very, very polite as these procedures appear discretionary (and just for politeness' sake!).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I have to say that is best positive benefit of the Delta program that other programs don't have, in having the automatic upgrade upon availability. Is the first class on AM much closer to international business standard?

I know I heard first class on delta domestic (available for upgrade for DL members) is pretty basic and does not include Delta one cabins.. like LAX-New York?
Old May 4, 2017, 12:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Complimentary upgrades are not a benefit when flying with Aeromexico. As Gold Medallion with Delta (SkyTeam Elite Plus), you may score the occasional operational upgrade after Aeromexico's own elites are processed, but it's not a right.
The question is how Aeromexico knows if you are Delta Gold. My understanding is that, unlike StarAlliance, Skyteam does not have a computer system for their airlines to share member elite status. So, the only way for you to show your status is to present your Delta Gold Medallion card to Aeromexico, probably at the check-in counter or boarding gate.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mama
The question is how Aeromexico knows if you are Delta Gold. My understanding is that, unlike StarAlliance, Skyteam does not have a computer system for their airlines to share member elite status. So, the only way for you to show your status is to present your Delta Gold Medallion card to Aeromexico, probably at the check-in counter or boarding gate.
A few different threads in the DL forum with recent posts from people reporting upgrade success for DL elites by calling in the day before travel or so:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-delta-pm.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ico-delta.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...flights-4.html

Also a few posts in this thread above yours. The post you replied to is 6 years old
Old May 4, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Mama
Prints on my boarding pass (STE+). Well, mostly, but certainly out of MEX. Only people who've asked for a card lately, was an AF lounge while waiting for my AM flight-- onto which I upgraded 3 FO companions. (Not so lucky on the RT, AM put me toward the top of the queue but they were on the bottom; evidently they have Club members or such now, who rank lower than STE+ partners, but not companions, AFAICT from the monitors at MEX T2).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.