Reload this Page >

Best Airline to Europe in Business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airline to Europe in Business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by TBD
You consistently base your evaluation of Alitalia on their flat beds. (And, for some reason, think your opinions are fact).

A flat bed may be nice and comfortable. What about connections? Schedules? What about calling customer service to change your flight? What about arriving with your baggage at the same time (and intact)? There is much more to choosing a carrier than a bed in J.

Combine all of those, and I feel Alitalia is below average. I dislike connecting in CDG, but would take Paris over Rome on any trans-Atlantic occasion.
I completely agree There is more to travel than a flatbed and you trust Alitalia at your peril., in my view.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I like KLM. The delft house is a nice touch and service is professional. AMS is a great airport.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For those who don't think AZ is all that perilous, I just got an email from them with a promo for flights from the US...

Take $200 off your next Business Class ticket purchase by entering promo code MAGNIFICA200 when prompted or save $50 on your next Economy Class ticket purchase by entering promo code CLASSICA50 when prompted.

The coupon codes are valid on purchases made through April 21, 2011 for travel through December 11, 2011.

* This offer is valid on tickets purchased on alitalia.com’s US site for transatlantic itineraries from the US to Italy and Europe. Tickets must be purchased by April 21, 2011 for departures through December 11, 2011. The e-coupon discount is not valid on previous purchases or combinable with other e-coupon or promotional discounts of any kind. Airport taxes and government imposed fees, including the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10, are excluded from this discount.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TBD
A flat bed may be nice and comfortable. What about connections? Schedules? What about calling customer service to change your flight? What about arriving with your baggage at the same time (and intact)? There is much more to choosing a carrier than a bed in J.
Sure, there's also food (which is, in my experience, vastly better on AZ J than on the other ST carriers in J, except KE which I didn't test).

As far as connections and schedules go, FCO is actually fairly standard. There's a luggage issue, but the very same issue is there at CDG.

Customer service for AZ is quite good, as long as you call a premium customer line. And, if you are flying J... I suppose you actually have a T.A. handling that for you. If you don't, you should.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by raistlin
And, if you are flying J... I suppose you actually have a T.A. handling that for you. If you don't, you should.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
For those who don't think AZ is all that perilous, I just got an email from them with a promo for flights from the US...

Take $200 off your next Business Class ticket purchase by entering promo code MAGNIFICA200 when prompted or save $50 on your next Economy Class ticket purchase by entering promo code CLASSICA50 when prompted.

The coupon codes are valid on purchases made through April 21, 2011 for travel through December 11, 2011.

* This offer is valid on tickets purchased on alitalia.com’s US site for transatlantic itineraries from the US to Italy and Europe. Tickets must be purchased by April 21, 2011 for departures through December 11, 2011. The e-coupon discount is not valid on previous purchases or combinable with other e-coupon or promotional discounts of any kind. Airport taxes and government imposed fees, including the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10, are excluded from this discount.
How excellent! And there was I saying AZ had given up on e-coupons!

Originally Posted by raistlin
as long as you call a premium customer line
Or +39062222. The important thing is to avoid foreign(=not italy)-based Call Centres.

Last edited by bungler; Apr 17, 2011 at 1:13 am
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:12 am

double
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DLNYC
What's so confusing?

If you are flying discounted economy, then I can see why you would want to "save" 30 euros by doing reservations yourself.

If you are flying Magnifica/J, I really cannot see why you should bother calling the airline yourself.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
I see that someone is marketing heavily AZ. This is a complete mystery for me, why should anyone recommend AZ? For their good aircraft? For their awesome customer service? Or for their "always" in time policy? I wonder...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by 31dany
I see that someone is marketing heavily AZ. This is a complete mystery for me, why should anyone recommend AZ? For their good aircraft? For their awesome customer service? Or for their "always" in time policy? I wonder...
Because it's a reasonably good company, which has (believe it or not, it's public data, you can check) high punctuality, excellent new aircrafts (while the older 767 are to avoid like hell), awesome food in J, and reasonably good customer service if you are a premium traveller.

I would NOT recommend flying AZ in Economy, except if way cheaper than competition, for instance. Nor I would generally recommend AZ (I still believe BA to be superior in J, for instance, because it's cheaper with absolutely good service).

But if the parameters are "best skyteam airline to fly to Europe in J", the lines with the new A330 offered by AZ are simply the best choice out there.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: Skyw. Gold,FB Gold,LH Sen.,TK Elite,HH Dia.*,Marriott Pl.*, Priority C.Pl.*,Starw. Pl.*, Hyatt Pl.*
According to my experience.

AMS great airport, nice service and good connections but KLM terrible flight confort.
CDG is a big airport but howful connections,unpleasent and rude staff (if you are not French).AF good flight, good value for money but not the best as confort.
FCO is a small and chaotic airport, not well organized. AZ...forget it.Seriously consider some alternative options.

My suggestion:avoid Sky Team for your flight
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by 31dany
+1! ^
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by TBD
Not in a million years would I fly Alitalia cross the Atlantic. Nevermind the headaches in dealing with the "customer service" prior to departure - Rome FCO is absolutely terrible. Although ... CDG is none the better.

What about KLM? It has been a very long time since I've flown with them, but AMS isn't bad.
We flew KLM business DFW / AMS and was very pleased with everything especially the service. The FA's went out of their way to be helpful and friendly (wonderful when traveling with children!!)..

Had to fly Delta coming back...stark difference.....
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It seems it bears repeating here that AF and KL are just fine, except for the slanted seats. CDG has some issues for transit, but it is great for trips departing or terminating in Paris. AMS is great, except for some extremely long walks and occasional massive immigrations lines. AZ is the BEST when it comes to the fully flat seat. That for many businesspeople is the most important thing. AZ may have ground issues, but at least you can sleep on your flight. Unlike AF and KL for most of us.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
AZ may have ground issues, but at least you can sleep on your flight. Unlike AF and KL for most of us.
In the eating department (which, to me, is quite important, because with some types of airline food I feel awful the day after flying) AZ is also ahead of AF (but I have only 1 experience on AF in business, so YMMV), and surely WAY ahead than KLM (while in Y for instance I have eaten better on both AF and KL than on AZ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.