Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airline to Europe in Business class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Best Airline to Europe in Business class

Planning a trip to Europe in the fall. What is the best airline for business class to Europe
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Where in Europe?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLNYC
Where in Europe?
And from where?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Who needs clarification?

The answer is Delta, of course!

Just kidding!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
I wish Tarom flew long-haul.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cw082350
Planning a trip to Europe in the fall. What is the best airline for business class to Europe
In Skyteam, between the US and EU, by far the routes served by AZ new 330s (JFK-MXP; JFK-FCO; MIA-MXP).

Best food (as recently awarded; but without awards, I'm Italian, I love good food, and I'm often impressed by AZ's new offering) and flatbed seats.

Second to that, I would pick AF business; then AZ business on older aircraft. DL and KL would be my very, very last choice.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/498; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

A wise résumé there raistlin, although I would probably go for something exotic like a c/s or Air Europa before daring the hell-ground occaisonally known as CDG!
All we need now is some more details to get some concrete choices on the table.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bungler
before daring the hell-ground occaisonally known as CDG!
Actually, if you make use of Acces 1, of the arrivals lounge, and of all the tricks, it's survivable. But yeah, better to avoid it. AMS is my favorite choice but KL's business class sucks unbearably.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by raistlin
In Skyteam, between the US and EU, by far the routes served by AZ new 330s (JFK-MXP; JFK-FCO; MIA-MXP).

Best food (as recently awarded; but without awards, I'm Italian, I love good food, and I'm often impressed by AZ's new offering) and flatbed seats.

Second to that, I would pick AF business; then AZ business on older aircraft. DL and KL would be my very, very last choice.

Sorry, I have to disagree. AZ is a pitiful, sad airline. Business class or coach, it is by far one of the worst products ever offered! Italy may represent the best food on the ground, but in the sky, on the national airline of Italia, it's just horrible....horrible. And I'm Italian too!

Last November, I took a chance, flying biz class, JFK-FCO-JFK on a shabby, jacked up 772. Mama mia...molto vergognoso! Service was non existent...floor was dirty, seats dirty and in one case, they used a piece of electrical tape to hide the tear in the leather!

I love my people, but ghetto AZ will never change!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
To me AF is the best in most categories, except of course the slanted seat. If your trip ends in Paris, then CDG is great. It has the shortest walk to a taxi of any major airport. Transit can be tricky for newbies, but I know the airport well and have no problems. If we count the UK as Europe (most Brit's I know prefer not to), then BA is a winner. Fully flat seats and the new Terminal 5, while not perfect, is fine to spend a few hours in.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by stimpy
If we count the UK as Europe (most Brit's I know prefer not to)
This video is amusing and informative throughout, but he makes that point in a quite humo(u)rous way around the two minute mark.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:27 pm

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/498; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

@upgradelovr: Well, a rather heated debate, so let's just say that recent AZ reviews have been mixed rather than entirely negative. For business I would recommend first the (new) 330's and then the 767's. For economy I would recommend the 330's followed by the 777's. In the future (say from now till end 2013) the 767's will be dismissed in favour of 330's and the 777's upgraded, so the outlook isn't that bleak.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
Sorry, I have to disagree. AZ is a pitiful, sad airline. Business class or coach, it is by far one of the worst products ever offered! Italy may represent the best food on the ground, but in the sky, on the national airline of Italia, it's just horrible....horrible. And I'm Italian too!

Last November, I took a chance, flying biz class, JFK-FCO-JFK on a shabby, jacked up 772. Mama mia...molto vergognoso! Service was non existent...floor was dirty, seats dirty and in one case, they used a piece of electrical tape to hide the tear in the leather!

I love my people, but ghetto AZ will never change!
You sure you flew a 772 and not a 332, or a 764? You seem to be describing the old, broken machinery.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I write this as a Lifetime Platinum on AF/KL and a 2MM on Delta who has enough experience on all the carriers mentioned to know what he is talking about. AF is only a good option IF you are flying ONLY to Paris, OR you are flying from a US outstation which would make it so you would NOT have to connect in the US, even if having to connect in Paris. Otherwise AF Business Class is subpar in most respects:

Terrible Food
Terrible airport for connections (has improved over last 2 years, but just two weeks ago for example still had to deal with two "tours" of CDG by bus).
Horrible slanted cramped seat.
Subpar IFE on majority of planes
Horrible drink selection.
Almost universally terrible ground staff, and while some FA's are good, mosts till do the "run and hide" as soon as meal service is over for the entire flight (after all they are only there for "Surete")
If connecting to a further European flight you not only have the connection idiocy to deal with, but you will be in their horrible (and now with NEO, doubly horrible) Euro Biz class.

So LAX-CDG (for example).......AF is the best choice.
but LAX-IST (for example)...... DL is the best choice

Generally, at least in my opinion a nonstop beats certain lacking amenities everytime.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd recommend SQ, JFK-FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.