Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

elite plus on skyteam flight not allowed into KLM lounge (Wien / Vienna)

elite plus on skyteam flight not allowed into KLM lounge (Wien / Vienna)

Old Feb 5, 11, 5:12 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I think that you underestimate the prices of operating a lounge.
No no, I do not underestimate it because I know for sure that the biggest cost is the rented space and its fitting (more than the variable costs of some dry peanuts or ridicolous cucumber....) but even if I travel for business and I want a quiet place I think such prices exaggerated.
What upset me is the attitude of some personnel that, in case of doubt or unclear situations, simply turn to the "NO-mode" as if my Gold card is stolen or inside the lounge there's the President of the USA.
That's all...
Old Feb 8, 11, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CSA OK Plus Gold / Elite+, GoldPointsPlus Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Squerez View Post
No no, I do not underestimate it because I know for sure that the biggest cost is the rented space and its fitting (more than the variable costs of some dry peanuts or ridicolous cucumber....) but even if I travel for business and I want a quiet place I think such prices exaggerated.
What upset me is the attitude of some personnel that, in case of doubt or unclear situations, simply turn to the "NO-mode" as if my Gold card is stolen or inside the lounge there's the President of the USA.
That's all...
Totally, it's unbelievable how they treat you, and it's only because of you they have their job and not moving trash cans in down town Vienna.
Old Feb 8, 11, 9:24 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Well, mostly it is training issue of the lounge dragons.

I remember cases with my OK+ Gold card in few lounges, after they had changed the design of their cards (twice in the last 7 years). I remember once the situation in Singapore, where the lounge dragon said that I can't enter as my card does not look exactly like the OK+ Gold card in her manual and she showed me the printout of the old version of the card. After some more arguments, she finally understood that I'm OK to enter (and have my shower).

But sometimes not only lounge-access, but other perks can be denied too. Once in JFK when checkin in for KLM flight they did not want to let me to access the business class check-in desk and reroute me to very-very long economy line, saying that other than KL Elite Plus members are not allowed to do so.

So, to avoid misunderstandings, I always keep printout of my rights with me, so that when needed, I could show and train the staff myself And that is for free of charge!
Old Feb 8, 11, 9:32 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G, AY OWE, IHG Plat Amb, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
I also found

http://www.klm.com/travel/ee_en/imag...588-221208.doc

and Delta has quite good coverage:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ions/index.jsp
select just the ST Elite Plus access from dropdown.

I guess the best is done by oneworld, on their website there is "Lounge Finder" that describes the lounge access rules in every airport and for every oneworld airline.
Old Feb 10, 11, 4:46 pm

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
I was refused access 3 weeks ago at the AF lounge on SFO because I Was flying KLM and when flying KLM one should use the Delta lounge. Waving with my elite plus card did not work.
Old Feb 21, 11, 11:12 am

access to skyteam lounge at lhr while flying Olympic?

Hi- I think the answer to this question is no, but I was wondering if I could save myself some embarassment by asking a lounge access question in advance, before I am turned away by a lounge guardian.

I'm flying Olympic Air from LHR on an economy ticket. I have an OK plus gold card. I don't think I will be eligible to enter the Skyteam lounge, but perhaps someone else has managed to get in with this combination? Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 11, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
now same problem in Vienna

You were right, something has changed:
in spite of what I wrote earlier now also denied acces into the airport loung also used by Sketeam in Vienna with Flying Blue gold card but on an Air Berlin flight. And it didn't help that I showede my Tarom (Skyteam) boarding card from my flight into transit at Vienna. Obviously AF/KL, who don't run the lounge themselves, no longer pay for guests not on their flights.
When I mentioned that it's getting more and more difficult, because Austrian won't let me in as Senator (on AB flight) either and that for the BA lounge I had to cross passport control twice they were very kind and offered me to stay after presenting my Executive Club gold card. Lucky for me!
Old Feb 21, 11, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by tc69 View Post
Hi- I think the answer to this question is no, but I was wondering if I could save myself some embarassment by asking a lounge access question in advance, before I am turned away by a lounge guardian.

I'm flying Olympic Air from LHR on an economy ticket. I have an OK plus gold card. I don't think I will be eligible to enter the Skyteam lounge, but perhaps someone else has managed to get in with this combination? Thanks.
You have the correct answer : no lounge access in your case. OA is not part of Skyteam

Originally Posted by PaxCGN View Post
You were right, something has changed.
And it didn't help that I showede my Tarom (Skyteam) boarding card from my flight into transit at Vienna. Obviously AF/KL, who don't run the lounge themselves, no longer pay for guests not on their flights.
AFAIK nothing has changed, at least for the last 10-15 years. I think only club 2000 members were (are) allowed to use AF lounges when not flying AF.
Old Feb 22, 11, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Tried also to access two lounges in Vienna flying on Air France Premium Voyager VIE - CDG - BOM.

First I tried the Austrian business class, since the first leg was operated by Austrian but codeshare with Air France, I was refused because they allow only FLying Blue gold.

Second I tried the Jet Lounge, which some Skyteam members are contracting in VIE. Was told only Flying Blue gold is allowed to enter.

This actually reminds me of my other tred earlier on flyertalk about switching from OK+ to Flying Blue, now it seems I'm going to fly some Premium Voyagers long haul and I'm just really really sick when you get Alliance elite+ and they don't give a damn, even when you obviously paying them for the ticket.
Old Feb 22, 11, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
Originally Posted by tc69 View Post

Olympic Air is not a SkyTeam airline. Therefore you will not be able to use the SkyTeam lounge.
Old Mar 5, 11, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rejden View Post
Tried also to access two lounges in Vienna flying on Air France Premium Voyager VIE - CDG - BOM.

First I tried the Austrian business class, since the first leg was operated by Austrian but codeshare with Air France, I was refused because they allow only FLying Blue gold.

Second I tried the Jet Lounge, which some Skyteam members are contracting in VIE. Was told only Flying Blue gold is allowed to enter.

This actually reminds me of my other tred earlier on flyertalk about switching from OK+ to Flying Blue, now it seems I'm going to fly some Premium Voyagers long haul and I'm just really really sick when you get Alliance elite+ and they don't give a damn, even when you obviously paying them for the ticket.
Contract lounges are not included as a ST perk. Only lounges operated by ST members are ok to use. I don't understand this entire thread, the rules are clear and people are complaining about it?
Old Mar 5, 11, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Contract lounges are not included as a ST perk. Only lounges operated by ST members are ok to use. I don't understand this entire thread, the rules are clear and people are complaining about it?
Maybe it sounded like whining, however it's just big surprise which I'm sharing here with fellow travelers, since I was using here and there the Airfrance/Austrian codeshare to France and always had access to lounge.

That's all
Old Mar 12, 11, 10:05 am

Programs: AZ CFP (ST E+), BA Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Contract lounges are not included as a ST perk. Only lounges operated by ST members are ok to use.
This is not consistently true. In most places in the world, I was admitted to the lounge of my operating carrier, even if contracted.
Old Mar 15, 11, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raistlin View Post
This is not consistently true. In most places in the world, I was admitted to the lounge of my operating carrier, even if contracted.
Yes, Mumbai (BOM) is one of them, not a ST lounge (not listed on the skyteam site), but automaticly I received invitation to the lounge on checkin
Old Mar 15, 11, 7:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Originally Posted by raistlin View Post
That is the key difference ... your operating carrier has a contract with a lounge. Would you be flying on a different Skyteam airline, that contract would not apply.

To recap:
1. Yes, the Skyteam benefit is missing at airports with contracted lounges
2. Yes, the OP was rightly refused admission, as the lounge is not listed on the Skyteam pages, but, as the OP states, he was expressing surprise, not outrage.
3. Communications and training could be improved.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Search this Thread