Reload this Page >

Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
No, it's true. As the crow flies, Beirut is actually closer.

Of course that damned crow would have to be out of his mind to try to fly across the border with people on both sides shooting at him!
Ah, eating crow! It's "guns and butter", not "guns and birds". Better be better than hummus for the lot.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Some years back I crossed that border numerous times. of course insanity was one of my few defenses, although nobody shot at me. Way back in the pre-1975 times it was fairly common and easy moving back and forth. Avoiding OMNIization of this thread it is amazing how much damage a few politicians can do and how much hostility fear can engender.

FWIW, I really like Beirut, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Damascus. It is sad beyond description that politics makes MEA not an option for Dovster.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Some years back I crossed that border numerous times. of course insanity was one of my few defenses, although nobody shot at me. Way back in the pre-1975 times it was fairly common and easy moving back and forth. Avoiding OMNIization of this thread it is amazing how much damage a few politicians can do and how much hostility fear can engender.

FWIW, I really like Beirut, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Damascus. It is sad beyond description that politics makes MEA not an option for Dovster.
There's AMM-BEY-XYZ on MEA as an option -- even TLV-AMM o AMM-BEY-XYZ. I just wouldn't plan on interlining TLV-___-BEY-XYZ.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
The US already allows NS flights to BEY, no-one has taken it back up since TWA dropped it.

From Wikipedia:
US air traffic ban lifted
On June 6, 2007, U.S. President Bush lifted a ban on air traffic to Lebanon imposed since the 1985 hijacking of TWA Flight 847. A press release issued by the White House said Bush was determined that the “prohibition of transportation services to Lebanon … is hereby further amended to permit U.S. air carriers under contract to the United States Government to engage in foreign air transportation to and from Lebanon of passengers, including U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.”
On December 17, 2009, President Michel Sleiman announced that US based airlines are considering a partnership agreement with Middle East Airlines (MEA) as a first step to resuming direct flights between Lebanon and the United States and eventually Canada. Brazil's Varig started services from So Paulo and suspended operations in 2006. Before Varig's suspension, it was the only airline of Latin and South America to fly to Beirut.

Last edited by RobtheAggie; Jan 20, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
The US already allows NS flights to BEY, no-one has taken it back up since TWA dropped it.

From wilikedia:
US air traffic ban lifted
On June 6, 2007, U.S. President Bush lifted a ban on air traffic to Lebanon imposed since the 1985 hijacking of TWA Flight 847. A press release issued by the White House said Bush was determined that the “prohibition of transportation services to Lebanon … is hereby further amended to permit U.S. air carriers under contract to the United States Government to engage in foreign air transportation to and from Lebanon of passengers, including U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.”
On December 17, 2009, President Michel Sleiman announced that US based airlines are considering a partnership agreement with Middle East Airlines (MEA) as a first step to resuming direct flights between Lebanon and the United States and eventually Canada. Brazil's Varig started services from So Paulo and suspended operations in 2006. Before Varig's suspension, it was the only airline of Latin and South America to fly to Beirut.
Before 9/11/2001, DL was looking to start service to BEY amongst a few other places in the MENA region -- those then-examined destinations that were short-listed seem to be coming to life slowly but surely. DL serving Cairo is but one example of that.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by damaxer91
You realize that he was joking, right?
Yes, I was joking with Dovster-San.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Wouldn't be surprised to see a few new members of SkyTeam this year...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:55 pm
Suspended

MEA Part of SkyTeam

Originally Posted by doglover
http://www.skyteam.com/news/headlines/20110119.html

Anyone have any experience with them?
I have been flying MEA since 1963. This is a great airline that even operated during much of the awful Lebanese Civil War.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
From the original article:
"SkyTeam has made significant progress in attracting new members. In 2010 China Eastern and its daughter company Shanghai Airlines, China Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and Aerolneas Argentinas all confirmed their future membership in SkyTeam"
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

MEA and SkyTeam

Originally Posted by doglover
http://www.skyteam.com/news/headlines/20110119.html

Anyone have any experience with them?
They fit right in, as they are very close to AF, operaing AF code shares between CDG and BEY.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Now just two long talked of joining ST airlines are still not confirmed: MH & HY. Each would bring strenght to its geographic region, where ST is still lacking.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Wouldn't be surprised to see a few new members of SkyTeam this year...
I am still thinking Air Koryo or Arik Air.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DM/3MM
FWIW, a pilot told me a few months ago that DL was working on setting up operations in BEY. Had no idea on timing.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MEA welcomes joins into SkyTeam in 2012

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=1

Congratulations to DL & Middle Eastern Airlines are always welcomes to joins into SkyTeam. Lets wait to see if DL will planned to starts new codeshare & SkyMiles program, too.

DL & ME will have a great opportunity to enters the alliance.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Please clarify what you mean by "great opportunity". Seems like for my next vacation i'm planning to Beirut and India, in order for me to get miles for the BEY-India sector, I either need to backtrack to Paris or fly Saudia to get miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.