Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The Value of Associate ST Members

There will be considerable value to DL and its passengers when the associate members of ST come aboard. For example, right now DL can fly you to MAD or BCN in Spain but no further. With Air Europa as a partner, there is the opportunity for onward travel to the numerous other Spanish points served by Air Europa. Same thing with carriers like Tarom, which will be able to provide onward connections from DL's new service to Budapest to places that are currently not served or underserved by a ST carrier.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Maybe with MEA on board, perhaps CO will launch offer EWR-BEY (which they should do anyways, but this would help)
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am rather surprised that there is no US non-stop to BEY. At least seasonally, it would do rather well. And conspicuous consumption should be observable in the forward cabin as well there as anywhere.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:11 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 2007 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Even without Air Europa as a partner, there is no reason that DL cannot book you on an Air Europa flight as a connection to a DL flight. I have had a DL agent offer to put me on Air Berlin. I declined that one, but I did have them book me on Air Portugal and Sata International. Both flights went just fine with no ticketing issues.
Well... on a payed ticket they can put you on whatever you want... even United.... but when you are using miles, its a diffrent story
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:55 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
The return flight from BEY to IST was delayed by 3:15 because of a late incoming aircraft. MEA has only 9 planes so you may encounter delays. There were quite a few angry passengers that were going to miss their connecting flights out of IST because of this.
This does happen occasionally because as you said, MEA only has 9 planes. However, overall, MEA has an excellent ontime record.

With MEA planning to expand its fleet in 2007 and 2008, it'll help alleviate this.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am rather surprised that there is no US non-stop to BEY. At least seasonally, it would do rather well. And conspicuous consumption should be observable in the forward cabin as well there as anywhere.
Politics prevents it.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:27 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
MEA used to fly from JFK in the 70's using 747's. During the war the operation came to almost a halt but I have read that some of the employees showed exemplary attitude by keeping the airline running during those difficult years. They seem to be a top notch carrier that focuses on customer service. I have been well treated in their ticket offices and when I e-mailed them asking for info about their company, they have replied quickly in a generous way.

Last edited by aw; Jan 17, 2006 at 6:45 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:30 pm
BA

Originally Posted by aw
MEA used to fly from JFK in the 70's using 747's. During the war the operation came to almost a halt but I have read that some of the employees showed exemplary attitude by keeping the airline running during those difficult years. They seem to be a top notch carrier that focuses on customer service. I have been well treated in their ticket offices and when I e-mailed them asking for info about their company, they have replied quickly in a generous way.
Correct, they flew to JFK until 1985.

Regards
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum
Chiming in from a maintenance point of view, an excellant airline.

I purchased some of those B747's and an still friends with their engineers. Top notch.

FM.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:16 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
MEA has better standards on it's single aisle aircraft than it's sponsor member into ST.. I really hope this doesn't signal the beginning of a slow decline in MEA's service quality.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:50 am
BA

Originally Posted by GK
MEA has better standards on it's single aisle aircraft than it's sponsor member into ST.. I really hope this doesn't signal the beginning of a slow decline in MEA's service quality.
I doubt standards will slip because of this. Air France will just be providing guidelines and advise. In 15 months time, SkyTeam auditors will audit MEA and if MEA passes all the tests, they'll join.

The guys over in the Continental forum are not reacting as *positively* over this news as in here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515772

Perhaps they need some *enlightenment*.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BA
I doubt standards will slip because of this. Air France will just be providing guidelines and advise. In 15 months time, SkyTeam auditors will audit MEA and if MEA passes all the tests, they'll join.

The guys over in the Continental forum are not reacting as *positively* over this news as in here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515772

Perhaps they need some *enlightenment*.
Good question, BA!! If MEA will does join enter SkyTeam Alliances very soon and when you will find out more information for MEA? Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:21 pm
BA

Today the Lebanese newspaper Al-Balad reported that MEA will soon place an order for 8 aircraft to be delivered in 2008 and 2009 as well as 5 options for delivery in 2010 and 2011, so they will effectively double their fleet size in the next few years.

MEA currently operates a fleet of 6 Airbus A321-200s and 3 Airbus A330-200s, all delivered in 2003.

This is a good sign about their intentions for SkyTeam...
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BA
Today the Lebanese newspaper Al-Balad reported that MEA will soon place an order for 8 aircraft to be delivered in 2008 and 2009 as well as 5 options for delivery in 2010 and 2011, so they will effectively double their fleet size in the next few years.

MEA currently operates a fleet of 6 Airbus A321-200s and 3 Airbus A330-200s, all delivered in 2003.

This is a good sign about their intentions for SkyTeam...
Excellent job the article from MEA. Thanks for sharing me out the information to me.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
MEA credit on DL flights

Is there any way to get AF codeshare flights on MEA to credit to DL? I have an upcoming trip to BEY and I am trying to keep it on AF or AL metal but the departure out of BEY is sky high if I do the BEy-CDG return on AF instead of MEA.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.