FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SkyTeam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam-412/)
-   -   AF or SAS (6 questions) long haul? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyteam/1160754-af-sas-6-questions-long-haul.html)

Zeehe Dec 16, 2010 10:20 am

AF or SAS (6 questions) long haul?

I did some research and I consider flying AF to NRT instead of my usual pick SAS. Why? Cause they have a dirt-cheap A380 round trip to offer and a lot of people claim that Economy offers a decent experience. This post is to make sure that I didn't overlook something important - so thanks for any expert advice!
1. Can someone offer a direct comparison to SAS long haul (A340)?
2. SAS has an upgrade possibility using optiontown. Is there anything similar for AF?

Anyhow, if I'd do that this raises the question of the FFP. So far I rarely fly Skyteam, but that might change. I have 15000 miles with Delta, non status.
3. Would I rather credit them there to save for an award or open up a new account with AF?
4. Do Delta silvers get any kind of perks with AF (important for me would be specifically additional luggage)?
5. Are there any kind of double mile etc. promotions I should be aware of? I didn't see anything on the webpages ...

Other than that it seems that all AF booking classes that get any miles always get 100% with Delta while many of those get only 25% with AF ... If I target segments that would be irrelevant which brings me to my last question:
6. Is it correct that Delta count segments (i.e. number of times to take-off with an aircraft, CPH - CDG - MAD counts as two) and AF count one-way trips (e.g. CPH - CDG - MAD would count as one)?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Zeehe Dec 16, 2010 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe (Post 15462113)
6. Is it correct that Delta count segments (i.e. number of times to take-off with an aircraft, CPH - CDG - MAD counts as two) and AF count one-way trips (e.g. CPH - CDG - MAD would count as one)?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...ts-af-klm.html indicates AF counts that as two as well just as Delta would do? Which would mean half the number of segments?

Zeehe Dec 16, 2010 11:09 am

Additional thought: If I'd not care about status, but about an award once in many years, how would that influence my Delta (with 15K) vs. AF (or any other ST member starting with 0) decision?

Gnopps Dec 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Zeehe (Post 15462113)
I did some research and I consider flying AF to NRT instead of my usual pick SAS. Why? Cause they have a dirt-cheap A380 round trip to offer and a lot of people claim that Economy offers a decent experience. This post is to make sure that I didn't overlook something important - so thanks for any expert advice!
1. Can someone offer a direct comparison to SAS long haul (A340)?
2. SAS has an upgrade possibility using optiontown. Is there anything similar for AF?

Anyhow, if I'd do that this raises the question of the FFP. So far I rarely fly Skyteam, but that might change. I have 15000 miles with Delta, non status.
3. Would I rather credit them there to save for an award or open up a new account with AF?
4. Do Delta silvers get any kind of perks with AF (important for me would be specifically additional luggage)?
5. Are there any kind of double mile etc. promotions I should be aware of? I didn't see anything on the webpages ...

Other than that it seems that all AF booking classes that get any miles always get 100% with Delta while many of those get only 25% with AF ... If I target segments that would be irrelevant which brings me to my last question:

Thank you in advance for any answers!

1. I prefer AF long haul over SAS. AF has better food, free alcohol and VOD. SK however has better hubs (CPH/ARN) and lounges if you have status.

3. While I am not familiar with the current earning charts of Skymiles you should avoid Flying Blue at almost all costs.

Zeehe Dec 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 15463261)
1. I prefer AF long haul over SAS. AF has better food, free alcohol and VOD. SK however has better hubs (CPH/ARN) and lounges if you have status.

Thanks, that was a very clear answer from you.

3. While I am not familiar with the current earning charts of Skymiles you should avoid Flying Blue at almost all costs.
Any particular reason for me to convince myself?

Gnopps Dec 17, 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Zeehe (Post 15463672)
Thanks, that was a very clear answer from you.

Any particular reason for me to convince myself?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...re-merged.html

Zeehe Dec 17, 2010 6:48 am

Thank you for this link. Read a few pages and decided to credit the flights to SkyMiles/Pesos. Now I'm looking forward to my first A380 experience! :-)

Guy Betsy Dec 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zeehe (Post 15467537)
Thank you for this link. Read a few pages and decided to credit the flights to SkyMiles/Pesos. Now I'm looking forward to my first A380 experience! :-)

The main advantage (and most have heard me say this many times before) of FB elite and elite+ is the extra baggage allowance you get. All other ST members elite, elite+ otherwise only get 1 pc of luggage at 23kg in economy class systemwide.

If you're FB elite/elite+, you get to take an extra piece also at 23kg.

Zeehe Dec 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 15469962)
If you're FB elite/elite+, you get to take an extra piece also at 23kg.

Which would indeed be a good thing for me then. I take it that Elites of other ST airlines do not get this perk?

bungler Dec 17, 2010 11:30 pm

With AZ's MM you do but only on AZ flights. With FB you do but only on AFKL flights. With SkyMiles I believe you also can but... only on DL flights.