Wiki Posts
Search

Long-Time Skyteam Member--Divorce?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Long-Time Skyteam Member--Divorce?

Here's my deal... I fully recognize that I am not has battle hardened as some others out there... My current stats:

DL 214K miles with 37K MQMS (165K MMM)
AA 110K (just cashed in 400K) with (3K EQMs)
US 64K miles with 2K elite points

I am going to be taking 8-10 business class trips to MENA/yr starting in the next couple of weeks and am torn. I am far and away most loyal to Delta but beyond the fact that the premium class product is sub-par (especially AF and KL), the route network and timing is not as good as both OW and Star. I will be flying mostly to KWI and some to DXB.

Flying UAL gets me direct from IAD to both places but I have the least attachment to Star. OW gets me there with BA but I have to make the TA-stop over (all else equal, I prefer direct flights). Also, UAL is overnight both ways to both locations which gets me home MUCH earlier than the other two alliances.

DL goes direct to DXB but getting to KWI will be a nightmare with 5+hr layovers in AMS and crappy service.

Looking for a longterm partner and not sure how to process this because there are no perfect suitors... Oh, my home base is BOS.

Help.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA offers IAD-KWI/DXB if you're looking for single connect options with the longest long-haul routing possible. Otherwise you've got EK as an option for DXB with a single connect in either YYZ or JFK or most of Europe and a double connect with them up to KWI.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:26 am
Suspended

Thumbs up DL BE

Originally Posted by finny52
Here's my deal... I fully recognize that I am not has battle hardened as some others out there... My current stats:

DL 214K miles with 37K MQMS (165K MMM)
AA 110K (just cashed in 400K) with (3K EQMs)
US 64K miles with 2K elite points

I am going to be taking 8-10 business class trips to MENA/yr starting in the next couple of weeks and am torn. I am far and away most loyal to Delta but beyond the fact that the premium class product is sub-par (especially AF and KL), the route network and timing is not as good as both OW and Star. I will be flying mostly to KWI and some to DXB.

Flying UAL gets me direct from IAD to both places but I have the least attachment to Star. OW gets me there with BA but I have to make the TA-stop over (all else equal, I prefer direct flights). Also, UAL is overnight both ways to both locations which gets me home MUCH earlier than the other two alliances.

DL goes direct to DXB but getting to KWI will be a nightmare with 5+hr layovers in AMS and crappy service.

Looking for a longterm partner and not sure how to process this because there are no perfect suitors... Oh, my home base is BOS.

Help.
I cannot agree with your assessment that DL BE product is inferior to that of AF and KL. I use them both and much prefer DL.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
On *A you actually have a few other options with just one transit:

- on LH: BOS-FRA-DXB/KWI
- on LX: BOS-ZRH-DXB (not KWI, but new C-Class to DXB)
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
OW offers BA flat beds to LHR and then onwards to DXB. IB, RJ and AU also now offers similar flat beds although I don't think any of them go through BOS.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
OW offers BA flat beds to LHR and then onwards to DXB. IB, RJ and AU also now offers similar flat beds although I don't think any of them go through BOS.
IB goes into Boston, but they don't go to Kuwait or Dubai, unfortunately. Only Tel Aviv and Cairo.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Any particular reason you don't like UA?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If you prefer DL, then for your KWI trips, how about the DXB flight then a short hop on KU or another local carrier to KWI? KU has a non-stop and there are some other options even after DL's evening arrival in DXB.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, SPG Platinum
Just want to chime in and say that DL's BE service on their 77Ls (for example to DXB) is pretty damn good.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you get the KLM Petroleum Card and use its benefits when connecting through AMS? That might be an advantage of staying with DL/SkyTeam. Also, the 777-LR that DL flies to DXB is a fantastic new plane. You would sleep very well on this long flight.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by yvandoorn
Just want to chime in and say that DL's BE service on their 77Ls (for example to DXB) is pretty damn good.
777-LR is an awesome airplane. I found the "suites" in the premium cabin to be wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.