Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabian Airlines to join Skyteam?

Saudi Arabian Airlines to join Skyteam?

Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No country is really "pals" with any country, but Saudi Arabia is more deeply involved with the US, as the US wants, than even Monaco.

About your two personal questions, the answers are in the negative.

As to the imagination about non-answers, well, be it as it you wish. I already answered your question about a Saudi position in relation to Israel, and it's in the post of mine which you quoted.

Monaco is no bastion of liberal democracy and is a frequent conduit for the material support of terrorists and other criminals. Going to stop doing business with businesses based in Monaco at some point before or after boycotting Chinese businesses? At least it's easier to avoid flying commercially-scheduled passenger carriers based in Monaco and any related global airline alliance.
My references to Monaco were an attempt at humor - they were the most inoffensive country I could think of off the top of my head. I had no idea that you'd take it serously. Sorry about that.

As for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, you keep skirting around the core issues. The fact is that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has yet to formally acknowledge Israel's right to exist, let alone formally cease hostilities and establish diplomatic relations. Your point that the Kingdom may be "praying" for Israel to attack Iran is amusing. Even if the Kingdom were hoping for open conflict between Iran and Israel, it wouldn't be because the Kingdom is such a staunch supporter of Israel. It would be purely economically motivated. Open conflict in the middle east drives oil prices up (especially when Iran is involved) and the kingdom desperately needs more 24 ct gold Bentlys (again, note that is sarcasm. Please don't try to refute the existence or practicality ofa 24 ct gold automobile )

Anyway, we've really driven off topic. Can we agree that we have vastly different views on the human rights position, support for terrorism, and degree of freedom accorded citizens and visitors by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and call it a day?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by LADELTA777
why would ST would want them to join.

I hate everything about that KINGDOM, and I would not give them any business anyway.

PS, Is this April yet ?

Sad to be so closed minded.. I wonder if you HATE everything and everyone in Montana or OK?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Your point that the Kingdom may be "praying" for Israel to attack Iran is amusing. Even if the Kingdom were hoping for open conflict between Iran and Israel, it wouldn't be because the Kingdom is such a staunch supporter of Israel.
The truth is amusing indeed. The reason the Saudi royal family is hoping for an Israeli attack on Iran is because generally the Saudi royal family hate Iran and its primary religious denomination and fear Iran more than Israel. Why is that? Because generally the Saudi royal family: is in the pockets of the US; trusts the US-Israeli relationship serves Saudi interests; and has a paranoia about followers of Shia Islam going revolutionary so as to put at risk the oil supply/money that finances the Saudi royal establishment. The Saudis are not the only GCC states' leadership who is in line with the Saudis when it comes to their position on Israel.

I'm no fan of Saudi Arabia('s government), and have been critical of them for decades, for most of the same reasons as yours -- still I'm not interested in boycotting the flag carrier of that country because of the actions of the government anymore than I'm willing to boycott the flag carriers of the US for being US Government surrender monkeys (to each and every DHS/TSA demand that impacts the general public).

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Then by the same "logic," Saudia may think, if it joins ST, will US invade their country based on a fictitious claim of "WMD" (really only, of course, wanting to get to its oil)? Just ridiculous... (And as if US hasn't done more than its fair share of human rights abuses - just "not on US soil," so then it "doesn't count" and can be all forgotten about and ignored. )
Sadly, it has happened on US soil, and it frequently is forgotten about and ignored...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...can_internment
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Why is SkyTeam bothering with minor national carriers (Tarom, Kenya, Vietnam...) that add no real value for the majority of flyers? What's next, Cayman Airways?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Why is SkyTeam bothering with minor national carriers (Tarom, Kenya, Vietnam...) that add no real value for the majority of flyers? What's next, Cayman Airways?
I believe Air Koryo is next followed by Druk Air.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
SV is a solid airline. I flew them in April on IAD-RUH after the volcano nixed my CDG connection. USB ports at every seat in Y, PTVs with American TV shows (though with much more bleeped out than on US TV), and 34" of legroom. Plus a steak in coach on my 75 minute RUH-DXB flight with them. And while I don't agree with all their government's policies, most of the people I met in the Kingdom were great people.
We have had major interruptions to flyinh through Europe. This gives another option for giving to other destinations where airports operations have not stopped.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
We have had major interruptions to flyinh through Europe. This gives another option for giving to other destinations where airports operations have not stopped.
I think one has to get a transit visa which I hear is very difficult.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:14 pm

Jazzop

About Tarom, you are right.

Please consider that KQ has an extensive network in Africa, and that VN, added to China Southern and Eastern, and the chinese company from Taiwan gives very interesting opportunities in SE Asia.

SV will give us very good routes to India (it is not possible to reach Hyderabad ok Kochi or Kolkata with ST).
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One good thing is that it might encourage EK, EY, QR and GF to join an alliance, now that someone in their backyard is planning on doing so.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:36 am

I heard an official announcement is due very soon.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
I heard an official announcement is due very soon.
I heard (via a friend who works for a major airport authority in the Gulf) that it will be today, Jan 10th, 2010 or very very soon there after...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by jmbfrance
SV will give us very good routes to India (it is not possible to reach Hyderabad ok Kochi or Kolkata with ST).
SV will also open up the possibility for SkyTeam access to Pakistan, a large country with a HUGE ex-pat community in Europe and North-America...a community that will not be so bothered about SV being a dry airline...

The big issue will be if SV and the Saudi Gov't make transiting an easy process.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
It's Official!!
http://www.skyteam.com/news/headlines/20110110.html
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Do NOT speak ill of Tarom!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.