Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabian Airlines to join Skyteam?

Saudi Arabian Airlines to join Skyteam?

Old Dec 17, 10, 7:53 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Before this thread goes all Omni on us... Is it just me or has every unattached airline been rumored to join sky team in the last few months? Virgin (Australia and Atlantic flavours), jet, saudi Arabian, and there have been at least a few more second and third tier rumors too.

I'm calling it right now... Cubana in 2012 and Air Koryo in 2013. And I hear Ariana may show up even sooner.

Why can't the SkyTeam folks focus on wooing airlines with great reputations, like Cathay, Qantas, or Singapore, to switch alliances? I want more goodJ redemption options durnit
Old Dec 17, 10, 8:09 am

I see this as a great move for Delta. There isn't a whole lot of traffic between the US and Saudi, but the traffic that's there is very high yield. Picking up traffic connecting in JFK to the JED flight should provide a few bucks to DL.
Old Dec 17, 10, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
Before this thread goes all Omni on us... Is it just me or has every unattached airline been rumored to join sky team in the last few months? Virgin (Australia and Atlantic flavours), jet, saudi Arabian, and there have been at least a few more second and third tier rumors too.

I'm calling it right now... Cubana in 2012 and Air Koryo in 2013. And I hear Ariana may show up even sooner.

Why can't the SkyTeam folks focus on wooing airlines with great reputations, like Cathay, Qantas, or Singapore, to switch alliances? I want more goodJ redemption options durnit
No money to be made in that - giving away award J seats on such airlines. The real money is to be made in numbers, and for vast majority of pax flying is about getting from point A to point B (isn't that what it's supposed to be?), not some luxury experience.

Than more airines are added to ST to serve currently underserved areas (e.g. think HY that is confirmed and to come soon, sponsored by KE - will add coverage in currently underserved Central Asia, for example), than more it benefits. The "reputation" is only a distant second afterthought.
Old Dec 17, 10, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MastaHanky View Post
I see this as a great move for Delta. There isn't a whole lot of traffic between the US and Saudi, but the traffic that's there is very high yield. Picking up traffic connecting in JFK to the JED flight should provide a few bucks to DL.
This is exactly right. It was the high yields on the RUH flight that kept TWA alive in it's final years. I never understood why AA dropped the route.
Old Dec 17, 10, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Didn't American Airlines close its acquisition of TWA after 9/11, or was that just the "loyalty" programs which didn't merge until after 9/11?

Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
I'm certainly not saying any country is a "saint" or above reproach (well, perhaps Monaco ). I would just rather not support a state-controlled airline of a country that is as exrreme and inimical to US interests as Saudi Arabia is.

On the other hand, if you want to willingly give your money to the state-controlled airline of a country that practices public beheadings, considers homosexuality a serious mental illness and crime, and denies women basic human rights, go right ahead. It's (kind of) a free country
The US already willingly does give material support to Saudi Arabia -- and neither you nor I are excluded from doing so -- even as the US client state of Saudi Arabia then kickbacks money to the favorites of the US Government.

Saudi Arabia's government is inimical to US interests? Last I checked Team Osama Bin Laden & Co still claimed to hate the Saudi Government in the same breath as hating the US Government -- something to do with Saudi Arabia not being inimical to the interests of the US Government, and rather in the pockets of the US Government.
Old Dec 17, 10, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by LADELTA777 View Post
why would ST would want them to join.

I hate everything about that KINGDOM, and I would not give them any business anyway.

PS, Is this April yet ?
Which country did the 9/11 hijackers come from?

(Yeah, I know...none of them came from Iraq, but we couldn't attack our "friends" )
Old Dec 17, 10, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
it greatly disturbs me to see the flag carrier of a nation that sponsors flagrant human rights abuses and has murky governmental connections to terrorist organization is seriously being considered by Delta and their SkyTeam Partners. I hope Delta is strongly resisting this new "direction" from Paris.

For the "If you don't like them, don't fly them" crowd - Keep in mind that Delta Air Lines will have to invest in infrastructure to support the addition of Saudia, as well as SkyTeam marketing costs, etc. While a small amount, your trips on ASA between SYR and LUB could end up being used to fund the export of Saudi extremism and anti-American views around the world.
Heck, I thought "If you don't like them,don't fly them" referred to Skyteam, not just Saudian Arabian Airlines. I understand where 9/11 started.
Old Dec 17, 10, 2:07 pm

Saudia Airlines for Skyteam?!#@

Stationed there for 3 years; Saudia is a very good airline, but a positive addition to SkyTeam; don't think so. But there are rumors the Kingdom wants to open up to tourism, so who knows. But if you want an Adult Bev. take the causeway to Bahrain! Cheers from New York!
Old Dec 17, 10, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Didn't American Airlines close its acquisition of TWA after 9/11, or was that just the "loyalty" programs which didn't merge until after 9/11?

The US already willingly does give material support to Saudi Arabia -- and neither you nor I are excluded from doing so -- even as the US client state of Saudi Arabia then kickbacks money to the favorites of the US Government.

Saudi Arabia's government is inimical to US interests? Last I checked Team Osama Bin Laden & Co still claimed to hate the Saudi Government in the same breath as hating the US Government -- something to do with Saudi Arabia not being inimical to the interests of the US Government, and rather in the pockets of the US Government.
I wasn't referring to Osama & company. I'm aware that he claims to have issues with the government of Saudi Arabia.

If Saudi Arabia is truly our pal, please explain their position towards Israel (the simple existence of the state of Israel, nothing more)? If Saudi Arabia is truly a modern, enlightened, friendly, pro-American country, could you please let me know who the Bishop of Riyadh is? How about where the gay bars are? And how many women are driving around in Mecca?
Old Dec 17, 10, 4:33 pm

I wasn't referring to Osama & company. I'm aware that he claims to have issues with the government of Saudi Arabia.

If Saudi Arabia is truly our pal, please explain their position towards Israel (the simple existence of the state of Israel, nothing more)? If Saudi Arabia is truly a modern, enlightened, friendly, pro-American country, could you please let me know who the Bishop of Riyadh is? How about where the gay bars are? And how many women are driving around in Mecca?
The Saudi government is still praying for an existing Israel to attack Iran. Doesn't it seem like Saudi Arabia's government is in the position of being thankful for Israel's existence? Non-existing entities don't have the Saudi-desired will and ability to attack targets, but existing ones do.

Modern, friendly and pro-American? Saudi Arabia's government is that with regard to the US Government. Englightened government? I'm not sure it even exists in Monaco.
Old Dec 18, 10, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
TWA's assets became part of AA in April 2001, the Aviators program was integrated sometime later that year, if I remember correctly. AA didn't buy all the assets of TWA. I know they didn't take TLV because the route was loosing money and there was a significant severance requirement along with it. I have no idea why they didn't take/continue CAI-RUH. The decision to drop CAI allowed DL to expand service initially, however.
Old Dec 18, 10, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Thats why its nickname is the whats leftover alliance.
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:05 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Thats why its nickname is the whats leftover alliance.
I was about to post that "Skyteam - the leftover alliance"
Old Dec 18, 10, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
The Saudi government is still praying for an existing Israel to attack Iran. Doesn't it seem like Saudi Arabia's government is in the position of being thankful for Israel's existence? Non-existing entities don't have the Saudi-desired will and ability to attack targets, but existing ones do.

Modern, friendly and pro-American? Saudi Arabia's government is that with regard to the US Government. Englightened government? I'm not sure it even exists in Monaco.
lol great non-answers! Are you sure you're not a politician? Or a Saudi apologist? If they are really pals with the US and Israel, all they have to do is to agree to a formal cessation hostilities, acknowledge Israel's right to exist under numerous UN resolutions, and exchange diplomatic personnel. Of course, those would be concrete, decisive, visible actions.

So, the Saudi position on human rights, women's rights, and jurisprudence is on a part with that of Monaco?
Old Dec 19, 10, 3:54 am

lol great non-answers! Are you sure you're not a politician? Or a Saudi apologist? If they are really pals with the US and Israel, all they have to do is to agree to a formal cessation hostilities, acknowledge Israel's right to exist under numerous UN resolutions, and exchange diplomatic personnel. Of course, those would be concrete, decisive, visible actions.

So, the Saudi position on human rights, women's rights, and jurisprudence is on a part with that of Monaco?
No country is really "pals" with any country, but Saudi Arabia is more deeply involved with the US, as the US wants, than even Monaco.

About your two personal questions, the answers are in the negative.

As to the imagination about non-answers, well, be it as it you wish. I already answered your question about a Saudi position in relation to Israel, and it's in the post of mine which you quoted.

Monaco is no bastion of liberal democracy and is a frequent conduit for the material support of terrorists and other criminals. Going to stop doing business with businesses based in Monaco at some point before or after boycotting Chinese businesses? At least it's easier to avoid flying commercially-scheduled passenger carriers based in Monaco and any related global airline alliance.

Search this Thread