Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Timeframe for an Indian carrier to join ST?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timeframe for an Indian carrier to join ST?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984
Anyone read any updates?!?! Come on Skyteam!!! Pull your finger out and get an Indian carrier!!
SkyTeam does need an Indian carrier. It's the only alliance without a nonstop to India. AI, IndiGo or Jet Airways, will be OK with me. * Guysprefer to get both Jet and IndiGo.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Yaatri
SkyTeam does need an Indian carrier. It's the only alliance without a nonstop to India.
Are you talking about US-India nonstops? Why would this be a relevant criterion for the question of whether ST should have an Indian carrier on board? (Apart from the fact that such a nonstop might well be established once ST does have an Indian carrier.)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Are you talking about US-India nonstops? Why would this be a relevant criterion for the question of whether ST should have an Indian carrier on board? (Apart from the fact that such a nonstop might well be established once ST does have an Indian carrier.)
Why is "whether it's relevant or not", an issue? China, as well as India, among other emerging countries, are major aviation markets with much growth potential. So do you think Skyteam should do nothing to retain or attract travellers who want to fly nonstop to their destination? If so, it would unproductive for me to continue a dialogue with you on this topic. have nothing to add.

P.S. Just this morning, this is what I read on the front page of The Washington Post
Originally Posted by Not an exact quote
Desperate times call for drastic measures. Washington has come up with an ingenious way to help keep the US out of recession: import consumers from India, China and Brazil with money to burn by making it “easy as pie” for them to get tourist visas to travel to the US.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I agree that it would be good for ST to have an Indian carrier. Also I agree that nonstops are important for attracting travellers. All I was trying to say is that the question of whether or not there are nonstops from the US to India is not highly relevant for the question of whether or not ST needs an Indian carrier.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

I agree that it would be good for ST to have an Indian carrier. Also I agree that nonstops are important for attracting travellers. All I was trying to say is that the question of whether or not there are nonstops from the US to India is not highly relevant for the question of whether or not ST needs an Indian carrier.
There are non stops from the U.S. to India. Three of them. AA flies ORD-DEL nonstop, and CO flies EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM. AI flies nonstop too.
I did not want to an argument about relevance. I am not saying that Skyteam should not consider a carrier that does not provide a nonstop service

DL used to have a nonstop to BOM, JFK-BOM and then ATL-BOM. Shifing it to AT killed the flight. Well, nonstop service to major market IS relevant, especially if DL itself doesn't know how to profit from a nonstop to India, Bringing in a carrier that does offer the service and is backed with Govt money is a pretty good idea.

An airline with nonstop to India in the Skyteam makes it more attractive to those,

Someone flying from say, GPT to TRV, may have to make as many as 4 connections, GPT-MEM-DTW-AMS/CDG-DEL/BOM-TRV. Non stop reduces the number connections.
IT is VERY relevant. But please lets nnot make that an issue. It belongs in another thread.
US India market should be dominated by U.S. and Indian carriers, but it's not. European (LH, BA, KLM, AF, TK, OS) South East Asian(TG SQ, MH) and Middle Eastern (EK, Gulf , EY, and Qatar) all are taking advantage of the business. India and the U.S. agreed to open skies but every one else is eating our lunch. That's another reason why nonstops are helpful.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
An airline with nonstop to India in the Skyteam makes it more attractive to those,
With nonstop from where? Because, for instance, 9W has nonstops to Italy, Belgium, several other EU countries I think, and flies to the US and Canada via Brussels.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raistlin
With nonstop from where? Because, for instance, 9W has nonstops to Italy, Belgium, several other EU countries I think, and flies to the US and Canada via Brussels.
Isn't it obvious we are talking about non-stops between the U.S. and India? Going by your example every airline as hundreds of non-stops.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Isn't it obvious we are talking about non-stops between the U.S. and India? Going by your example every airline as hundreds of non-stops.
Since this is a board with members from all over the world and you've been asked a couple of times by independent people, no, evidently it was not obvious.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

SkyTeam does need an Indian carrier. It's the only alliance without a nonstop to India. AI, IndiGo or Jet Airways, will be OK with me. * Guysprefer to get both Jet and IndiGo.
There are non stops from the U.S. to India. Three of them. AA flies ORD-DEL nonstop, and CO flies EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM. AI flies nonstop too.
I did not want to an argument about relevance. I am not saying that Skyteam should not consider a carrier that does not provide a nonstop service

DL used to have a nonstop to BOM, JFK-BOM and then ATL-BOM. Shifing it to AT killed the flight. Well, nonstop service to major market IS relevant, especially if DL itself doesn't know how to profit from a nonstop to India, Bringing in a carrier that does offer the service and is backed with Govt money is a pretty good idea.

Someone flying from say, GPT to TRV, may have to make as many as 4 connections, GPT-MEM-DTW-AMS/CDG-DEL/BOM-TRV. Non stop reduces the number connections.
IT is VERY relevant. But please lets nnot make that an issue. It belongs in another thread.
US India market should be dominated by U.S. and Indian carriers, but it's not. European (LH, BA, KLM, AF, TK, OS) South East Asian(TG SQ, MH) and Middle Eastern (EK, Gulf , EY, and Qatar) all are taking advantage of the business. India and the U.S. agreed to open skies but every one else is eating our lunch. That's another reason why nonstops are helpful.
Since this is a board with members from all over the world and you've been asked a couple of times by independent people, no, evidently it was not obvious.
Oh Boy. I have explicitly stated I am talking about U.S. India nonstops, The examples I gave were U.S to India nostops, as well as connecting flights. What elese do you need? DO you not read before jumping in?

It's a global forum, but the membership comes predominantly from the U.S. One doesn't have to even infer from the context that I am obviously talking about U.S. India nonstops.
The question has been answered more than once.
It would help if you would read before posting.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:25 pm

It would help if you would read before posting.
Being a bit more courteous would also help. Unluckily, this is not a perfect world.

What I was pointing out is that you cannot say that skyteam is missing "a direct flight" to India. It is missing a direct flight between U.S. and India. Which is quite different.

Skyteam is not necessarily an extension of DL. At very least you need to consider DL and the AF/KL networks and bases in evaluating where it "misses a direct flight to".

Last edited by raistlin; Oct 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm Reason: hit send too soon.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
Probably nothing but note this is the second MOU with Jet Airways and a Skyteam airline ......

http://www.4-traders.com/JET-AIRWAYS...tion-13837473/
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
Again probably nothing... but if you read further down the article, it talks about Jet Airways wanting to launch services to Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Shanghai. All are Skyteam hubs with the exception of Frankfurt. Maybe there are hopes Jet Airways will join Skyteam!!!

http://m.economictimes.com/PDAET/art...31,curpg-2.cms
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Being a bit more courteous would also help. Unluckily, this is not a perfect world.

What I was pointing out is that you cannot say that skyteam is missing "a direct flight" to India. It is missing a direct flight between U.S. and India. Which is quite different.

Skyteam is not necessarily an extension of DL. At very least you need to consider DL and the AF/KL networks and bases in evaluating where it "misses a direct flight to".
I did not, ever, say anything about "direct" flights. I was talking about non-stop flights or maybe you do not understand the terminology.
I had already mentioned non-stop flights between the U.S. and India. I don't know why some people keep on asking the question(s) about "direct flight, or from where to where?"
Nothing I have said implies that SkyTeam is an extension of Delta.

It's important to understand the difference between nonstop flights and direct flights. The two are quite different. Most people avoid "direct" flights, and not every one does non-stop flights. It really gets tiring when people don't understand terminology, consider themselves experts if they have flown three sectors on an alliance, or feign offense, when none is meant.

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:38 am

My last post to this evidently useless quarrel:

I did not, ever, say anything about "direct" flights.
Thanks for the useless lesson. Of course, direct or non-stop, in the context of my messages, changes absolutely nothing of the meaning (try swapping the two terms, and you will realize there's absolutely no difference to my meaning).

Regarding your - once again, rude - comment on "people having flown three sectors", please mind your own business. Or if you really wish to mind mine, have a look at the qualification rules for the tier I belong into, do a little bit of maths, and shut up.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:57 am
Suspended

My last post to this evidently useless quarrel:

Thanks for the useless lesson. Of course, direct or non-stop, in the context of my messages, changes absolutely nothing of the meaning (try swapping the two terms, and you will realize there's absolutely no difference to my meaning).

Regarding your - once again, rude - comment on "people having flown three sectors", please mind your own business. Or if you really wish to mind mine, have a look at the qualification rules for the tier I belong into, do a little bit of maths, and shut up.
It's pointless having a discourse of this nature.

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.