Reload this Page >

China Airlines to Join SkyTeam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:17 am

Well, I'm still not going to complain about another airline in SkyTeam. Just because I will likely never fly them, you never know when you might need them.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Never assume anything. Deal with hard facts and their past performance.
When KE joined the alliance DL and other Skyteam airlines assisted with training programs, pilots, and other personnel to review their programs and overhaul their operations. Int heir case it dramatically improved their safety record.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What airlines, specifically, are of the caliber and scope of SQ and CX and not presently in one of the big three alliances?
EK is on par with these, IMO.

That's just in response to your question, but I agree that CI's alleged entry into ST is a good thing. Just because they (or any airline) are a ST member doesn't obligate one to fly them if they believe they are still unsafe.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What airlines, specifically, are of the caliber and scope of SQ and CX and not presently in one of the big three alliances?
EK is on par with these, IMO.

That's just in response to your question, but I agree that CI's alleged entry into ST is a good thing. Just because they (or any airline) are a ST member doesn't obligate one to fly them if they believe they are still unsafe.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Don't forget their safety record! @:-)
Their safety record for the past decade or so is really NOT bad... the 747-200 accident was really a structural failure of the aircraft and was an aircraft that had only one month remaining in the CI fleet. The only other incident was the B737-800 fire on the ramp in Okinawa last summer, again due to an aircarft design problem and no fault of the airline.

In the 80s and 90s, there were accidents related to poor cockpit resource management, controlled flight into terrain etc.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:00 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
dupe.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:01 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
I guess this is just me - but I feel CI is some cheapo airlines whose service and flight amenities are lacking. It just can't win compared to *A's SQ and TG or One World's CX.
SkyTeam needs to move quicker and get the nice airlines sooner before they join other alliances.
I flew them on a short hop in Y a few weeks ago and I thought their service was fine. Nice clean plane. Seemingly pretty new, too. They gave me exit row on the ground without my even asking. And the ground staff pre-departure were most helpful and friendly in helping me recover from IROPS that were the fault of other airlines.

I'm glad to have CI as a MQM earning opp'y.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence

signing ceremony set for Tuesday 14 September. This is the Taiwanese carrier, not to be confused with airlines based in Red China.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...11-700061.html
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Great!

Now all that SkyTeam is missing is Malaysian Airlines. With MH as a full/official member also, that'd be a pretty complete network in Asia.

...though V Australia would be nice also as a full ST member, to close the big gaping hole in ST coverage that is known as Australia.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Great!

Now all that SkyTeam is missing is Malaysian Airlines. With MH as a full/official member also, that'd be a pretty complete network in Asia.

...though V Australia would be nice also as a full ST member, to close the big gaping hole in ST coverage that is known as Australia.
Well, except for those daily flights to SYD.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ND76
signing ceremony set for Tuesday 14 September. This is the Taiwanese carrier, not to be confused with airlines based in Red China.

Maybe a better name for PRC these days is Green China. They seem to have most of our Dollars(Green backs)/debt.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
I read somewhere that the Chinese airlines don't release safety statistics.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DDCT
I read somewhere that the Chinese airlines don't release safety statistics.
Wow, that took all of two seconds to disprove via Google!

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...untry.php?id=B
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by bennos
Wow, that took all of two seconds to disprove via Google!

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...untry.php?id=B
Less than that. 1.026ms to disprove via my brain. The FAA would never allow any airline to travel to the US without knowing their safety practices.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:37 pm
Suspended

China Airlines

Originally Posted by ND76

What great news. I have used them a few times in economy from LAX to TPE and KUL and think the service, food, and AVODs are first-rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.