Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam Frequent Flyer Programs - which one should I choose?

SkyTeam Frequent Flyer Programs - which one should I choose?

Old Oct 3, 10, 10:54 pm

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Hi,

Originally Posted by checkxp View Post
Can you still redeem Delta miles for flights within ST and they're partner without "touching" the US ? (eg. Europe - Europe, or Europe - Asia) and how do you go about doing that? call them?

Although I know there is no published redemption table, my real fear is do they really live up to their reputation of SkyPesos? I believe that DL miles don't expire if you have activity on your account, is that correct?
- Yes, it is possible to redeem Europe to Asia and such, but you will indeed have to call

- Yes, your miles stay valid as long as you have some activity (much easier than with FB where only Skyteam flights keep you active)

- As for Skypesos, because you can't find a Europe-Africa award online, it will be hard to tell whether it's a low/medium/high award. However, you can check ahead with FB to see whether they have classic availability and then call DL.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 10, 10, 4:34 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer View Post
Hi chIn terms of household accounts, no, Skyteam does not have an airline that offers something like that.

GenevaFlyer
KE has a family plan up 5 members.
Old Dec 22, 10, 8:14 am

FB or Delta

Great Site! Question is - have delta account for 2 family members 2 don't. flying bos-ncl on AF (cancelled flight bos-lhr so paying exorbinant price!) fl chart says 250% miles - delta says 150% so am I correct in assuming that we should use the 2 delta accounts and get 2 new FB to get more miles? we don't fly af a lot, but bos is a delta hub and we go to fla whenever we get enough points or uk if we have plenty. aren't the miles good for either airline so we should go with the program that gives the most points? I know, totally newbie question!
Old Dec 22, 10, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by djbc View Post
Great Site! Question is - have delta account for 2 family members 2 don't. flying bos-ncl on AF (cancelled flight bos-lhr so paying exorbinant price!) fl chart says 250% miles - delta says 150% so am I correct in assuming that we should use the 2 delta accounts and get 2 new FB to get more miles? we don't fly af a lot, but bos is a delta hub and we go to fla whenever we get enough points or uk if we have plenty. aren't the miles good for either airline so we should go with the program that gives the most points? I know, totally newbie question!
What class of service do you typically fly? 250%--sounds like you flying paid first? If so, go with FB. If you fly economy at times, go with DL, as FB screws you on mileage accrual in non-premium cabins.
Old Jan 11, 11, 8:10 pm

Is there any Skyteam member that has a program where the miles don't expire? I only fly with them every few years. I could probably keep a delta account alive with some hotel stays, but I'd rather just not worry about it. I live in Canada, if that matters.
Old Feb 6, 11, 6:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Skyteam KLM flying Blue and Aeroflot

Hi was an interesting read about all the options that are available within Skyteam.
However I have a huge issue with Skyteam. I have been a Gold card holder for a number of years in Flying Blue and have almost 300k miles. I also have almost 150k on Aeroflot (this was due to a quirk in the system where you could not charge Aeroflot internal flights to Flying Blue. I used to live in London.

The problem I have is that it is not economic to use any of these miles. The taxes are always higher than buying a flight. AMsterdam from London is 117 whereas a FB flight is 10,000 miles plus 122 tax - the tax is the same as the normal (albeit cheap) fare. There are other examples I could quote.

I also now have another problem. I have moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS). The KLM site does not have PLS listed even though their parent company Delta flies there a number of times a week. I wrote to them and they added it to the FB's website (to claim an award) but still not to the main website. Regardless of this I cannot book any flights out of that destination as there are never any options so I cannot use my miles. They told me they were upgrading their website but this has not happened I assume this may be because they are merging with Delta and will probably use the same website eventually. I am rather frustrated and if I am not careful will lose my miles soon.

I appreciate that this is very specific to my situation but does anyone know any answers to the above?

Many thanks
Old Feb 6, 11, 6:41 am

For the OP I would tend to favor FB over Aeroflot because he will fly enough to get FB Platinum, since he needs only 70,000 miles to get Platinum when he lives outside France. In my househol we have both FB and DL. AF/KL largely ignore other ST programs, but FB is decently recognized. Further, SU is fairly consistently kind to other ST Elites IME.

DL is called SkyPesos because a number of US members, especially ones from acquired airlines, are bitter about the merger and denigrate most things DL. IME DL is really very good for customer service and excellent in support to elites. DL is far better than is AF in that respect, but you need 125,000 miles to get the highest level, Diamond, and that is a lot of flying.

In your situation I would not choose a program from an airline you do not expect to be using regularly for several years, thus FlyingBlue seems more appropriate for you.
Old Feb 6, 11, 6:57 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nawatts View Post
The problem I have is that it is not economic to use any of these miles. The taxes are always higher than buying a flight. AMsterdam from London is 117 whereas a FB flight is 10,000 miles plus 122 tax - the tax is the same as the normal (albeit cheap) fare. There are other examples I could quote.
There are definitely situations where using miles can be (very) valuable. These are a few examples:
  • One way tickets (Half price of a 2-way, while paid tickets are much more expensive)
  • Last minute / Discount classes unavailable (When the discount classes have sold out, the price of your flight to London might be 3-4 times as high)
  • Long haul flights, especially in Business class (Paid ticket would be 2500+ euro, whereas an Award can be as little as 250 euro + 50K miles)

I also now have another problem. I have moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS). The KLM site does not have PLS listed even though their parent company Delta flies there a number of times a week. I wrote to them and they added it to the FB's website (to claim an award) but still not to the main website. Regardless of this I cannot book any flights out of that destination as there are never any options so I cannot use my miles. They told me they were upgrading their website but this has not happened I assume this may be because they are merging with Delta and will probably use the same website eventually. I am rather frustrated and if I am not careful will lose my miles soon.
Delta is not the parent company of KLM. KLM and AF together are the AFKL group and are the european partner of Delta.

You say there is a Delta flight available, but not bookable through the KLM website. Have you tried the Delta website? Often that is 10 euro cheaper as well (No booking fee).

As for awards, if the online engine does not allow to book the award, call the FB hotline. They will arrange the award booking on Delta metal and you can probably convince them to waive the booking fees since its not possible to book online.
Old Apr 11, 11, 11:06 pm
KKT

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Silver, UA, DL
I mostly fly Star Alliance and Oneworld and didn't fly Skyteam.
I have some short haul flights on China Southern coming up. Which program that the miles can keep longer?
Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 11, 1:20 am

It depends. If you are in a very low booking class then only China Southern's program will get you miles. Otherwise it depends on which program will get you to keep those miles for longest, but it will be difficult to keep anything beyond 24 months with zero activity. You can avoid FB for a start because they don't give much miles and your miles will expire after 20 months if you don't physically fly a ST carrier in the meanwhile.
Old Apr 17, 11, 10:53 pm
KKT

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Silver, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bungler View Post
It depends. If you are in a very low booking class then only China Southern's program will get you miles. Otherwise it depends on which program will get you to keep those miles for longest, but it will be difficult to keep anything beyond 24 months with zero activity. You can avoid FB for a start because they don't give much miles and your miles will expire after 20 months if you don't physically fly a ST carrier in the meanwhile.
Thank you, bungler. I will be flying in C.
Well, I might fly ST more offen if any of the Taiwanese airlines join ST.
In the meantime, perhaps I just stick to Star and Oneworld.
Old Apr 18, 11, 12:13 am

In C all programs will give you 150%, so if it's worth it you might want to go open up a CZ account, but only really if you're willing to boost/shift yourself into ST.