Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Why unequal treatment for US/MEX elites in ST?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport

I am sure this has been answered somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Why are US/MEX-based elites given the short end of the ST stick?

US-based Gold FB members are merely ST Elite. FB Gold members based anywhere else in the world are ST Elite Plus. For the AF program, tier requirements are less for non-French residents, including Americans...but then the attained status is worth less only for Americans? Who thought of this program? Why would you deliberately make your FFP as uncompetitive as possible?

On KE, flying .5 MM miles gets you STE+. On DL, it gets you nothing.

On SU, flying 50k in a year gets your STE+. On DL, it gets you STE.

What gives? What is the reasoning behind this? I understand that each airline sets their own requirements for achieving status, but ST should really work on achieving some basic continuity when it comes to the STE and STE+ tiers.

For basic reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Tea...future_members
as well as AF's FB page.

Last edited by DLNYC; Jul 30, 2010 at 10:59 pm
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
It is a matter of markets and the particular type of competition on a specific market.

The main difference between STE and STE+ is lounge access. It is unusual for US/Mex FFPs to offer lounge access on the basis of merely 30 segments or 40,000 miles. So AF/KL probably felt that offering STE+ to their US/Mex Gold customers is not necessary. (It remains to be seen, however, if this decision remains a smart move after last year's 1 Apr changes.)

Apart from this aspect, a full explanation would also have to take into account
- agreements on how to control competition within Skyteam,
- the fact that KE and SU have a comparably small customer base on the US/Mex market, and
- past, present and future collaboration between DL (and NW) and AF/KL.

Finally, note that the requirements for achieving status levels also differ very much within the other two major airline alliances (for Star Alliance, compare Lufthansa with Turkish Airlines, for example).

Last edited by cityflyer369; Aug 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm Reason: add on
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC

US-based Gold FB members are merely ST Elite. FB Gold members based anywhere else in the world are ST Elite Plus. For the AF program, tier requirements are less for non-French residents, including Americans...but then the attained status is worth less only for Americans? Who thought of this program? Why would you deliberately make your FFP as uncompetitive as possible?

What gives? What is the reasoning behind this? I understand that each airline sets their own requirements for achieving status, but ST should really work on achieving some basic continuity when it comes to the STE and STE+ tiers.

For basic reference:
as well as AF's FB page.
The issue with FB and the differentiation with North American ST is the ability to obtain status on FB through segments. A Gold on FB only takes 30 segments which is quite easy in North America. To get DL Gold you need more than 30 segments which is really the reason why. To make sure that people don't try and game the system the ST programs have tried to make qualification and benefits equalize across their systems. Otherwise you get the Aegean problem in *A.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Otherwise you get the Aegean problem in *A.
Would you mind explaining us the Aegan problem, for those of us who are not aware of it ? Thanks a lot
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:46 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
After the explanations, much of it makes sense. I still don't understand why DL GM should not be included in STE+. I am a GM on my way to PM, and international lounge access would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Would you mind explaining us the Aegan problem, for those of us who are not aware of it ? Thanks a lot
*A Gold with Aegean only requires 20k miles to earn and, IIRC, 16k miles to renew. Compare that to the 100k to earn it with LH.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DLNYC

For basic reference:
as well as AF's FB page.
Amongst other things, welcome to the consequences of government-enabled collusion by DL and AF-KL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.